WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: 32-20 gas check size?

Boolit Bub

32-20 gas check size?

This may seem like a dumb question, but what size gas check does the 32-20 Win take? Isn't it know as a ".32 caliber"? I bought a box (1000) of Hornady gas checks in .32 caliber and my cast bullet clearly doesn't fit the 'check. So does the 32-20 use a .30 caliber gas check?

Thanks

Boolit Master

Yes, the 32-20 typically takes a 30 GC. My Hornady 30 checks are 0.311 in diameter, so they work pretty well for 32-20 sizing.

Betcha you could trade those 32s for 30s in the Swappin' and Sellin' section.

Mark

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    Yes, the .32/20 uses .30 cal. GC. Those .30 cal checks also are the ones to use for the various .31 cal. boolits, such as 7.65 mm, .303 British, and 7.7 Jap, and even the 7.35 Italian, which is truly the world's only .29 caliber. Don't feel bad, you are not the first or last to find out the hard way. Now you can list the 8mm checks on "Swappin' and Sellin'. 8mm GC are often hard to find. Winchester should have named the cartridge ".30/20." but then the .44/40 should have been .42/40, the .38/40 is really a .40/40, and don't get me started on revolver cartridges.
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

Smile

Now you need a good old milsurp 8mm to cast for! The Lee 175 grain boolit is a good start, and those checks will fit it.
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the replies guys. That's what I get for thinking I was smart!

Ricochet... you must have been reading my mind. That is a perfect excuss to get an 8mm rifle! Honey, I already have a box of .32 caliber gas checks and I can't waste them so now I have to get a .32 caliber rifle. I can already picture it!