Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky

Thread: Precision Shooting Magazine October 1998

Boolit Bub

Precision Shooting Magazine October 1998

Does anyone have a copy of the article Maximizing Marlin's New Model - 1895?

It's the article describing how to increase the acceptable COAL.

I have been scouring the internet looking for it and can't find a trace and the company is out of business, so I can't get it from them.

Boolit Buddy
    I'd love a copy of that article...

Moderator Emeritus

Found this on another forum's thread - might help:

Precision Shooting Magazine
    222 McKee Street
    Manchester, CT 06040 USA
    860-645-8776

Boolit Bub
    The company went out of business. That number is no longer in service and I doubt the address is viable anymore either.

Not only did they go out of business, they took everyone's $$$ in the process, offering absolutely no compensation for subscribers, and no explanation. They just closed the doors and walked away.
    If you live on the razor's edge and slip, you will die in two pieces

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by 5Shot View Post
    Not only did they go out of business, they took everyone's $$$ in the process, offering absolutely no compensation for subscribers, and no explanation. They just closed the doors and walked away.
    Apparently there was some kind of notice to subscribers, but that doesn't mean they did a good job getting it to the subscribers lol.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...s-publication/

Kinda sad that 56 years worth of shooting information is more or less gone now. Makes you think about how much knowledge we've lost in history.

Boolit Buddy
    As a long term subscriber to PS, I would like to make two comments: first, the announcement "bulletin" posted above was from a "sister" publication that many PS regulars viewed as a marketing ploy to double subscription revenue by effectively splitting the accuracy articles; and second, contrary to what Sneakybuffalo said, the information is not lost. It still exists in all of the back issues faithfully saved on the shelves of the faithful. JMHO, Ed

I had subscribed for a few years and had gotten both of the publications. They discontinued my Accurate Rifle subscription when it folded and credited the remaining $$ to extend my Precision Shooting beyond the expiration date. I wish I had found out about them years earlier and had taken advantage of buying up back issues. There were a lot of "pearls of wisdom" in both of them and they had a lot of specialty manufacturers that advertised only in those publications (not Guns or Guns and Ammo). There were some really innovative shops and craftsmen that you would never have found out about otherwise (well, probably word of mouth). I was sorry to see them fold. I learned a lot about High Power Rifle techniques, accurate rimfire shooting smiths and products, and just what some guys experimented with and what did and did not work. One of friends didn't like to read any of the articles because he said they were "too technical" and gave him a headache. I've still got all of my old issues stored away in sealed containers. Guess I am one of the faithful. Sad, really.

JX
    Last edited by johnny_xring; 09-29-2014 at 12:50 AM. Reason: typos

Sorry, Sneakybuffalo---I don't have that issue because I didn't start subscriptions until after 2000. That article has to be on a pdf file probably somewhere.

JX

Boolit Master
    The Editor of those magazines (I think his name was Dave Brennan) was an absolute genius at getting expert gunsmiths, shooters, cartridge developers and reloaders, who knew their stuff but by themselves would never write anything more lengthy than a shopping list, to write articles on how they did their marvels and what was critical and what was not. He also attracted several genuinely good writers who could make subjects of practical accuracy, like prairie dog shooting or even long range plinking, interesting. Both Precision Shooting and Accurate Rifle were genuine "journals of record" while they were in their glory.

I think Brennan's downfall was thinking he could expand what was originally a newsletter that was mostly for benchrest competitors and pure accuracy fanatics into two full size magazines that could compete head to head with other publications and attract many of their subscribers. With two magazines to feed, he began to run out of specialty articles and started fulling in the spaces with infomercial puff pieces that gradually began to have less and less to do even with guns. This irritated his core subscribers (me at least) while the rest of the magazine remained too "technical" for the deer hunter who wanted an article explaining how to sight in his .30-30. Or whoever it is that can't sleep nights wondering whether the 9mm is better than the .38 Special.

Everything isn't for everybody, and can't be made so.

I apologize; I can't lay hands on my files of the magazines now; they're in storage.