Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
WidenersRepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: which caliber for canada deer

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    I personally see no reason whatsoever for new cartridge development,,, Simply because every possible usage for a firearm is already covered by many cartridges already in existence,
    I tend to agree. Just forward of the muzzle, all the rifles in the world boil down to a bullet of a particular weight and caliber doing a particular velocity. Inventing a new cartridge when there is already a bullet of that diameter and weight going that velocity just seems a little redundant to me. I like the old cartridges, especially the 'obsolete' ones.

Boolit Master
    .45-70 for deer! i have not been hunting for a few years but have the deer gotten that tough? did they get mean too? i killed deer with a .303 brit. a .30-40 krag with a cast bullet .38-40. and a few with a .30-30. i have settled on the .30-30. that is what i will be using this year.

Vendor Sponsor

I wonder if the Deer would like a say in this?

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I will be hunting in thicker brush
    300 H&H Magnum
    Regards
    John

Boolit Buddy
    picked up the Marlin 1895 in 45-70 not because i feel that this much power is needed for the deer but because the extra energy can only help, might be a little more than my shoulder likes but once i get around to shooting it I will know.

Eying out some 35 rems still, something about the odd caliber seems pretty tempting, it looks like it can do everything the 30-30 can do with more put down power, what's not to like with that!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    I wonder if the Deer would like a say in this?

Randy
    Every now and then they boycott one of my hunts but I can't say I've heard any objections. I think they probably support my efforts to fill my freezer with wild pork.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Vendor Sponsor

Here's my solution as stated earlier now in the real world. More pics in Military Rifles.

Now I just need the Hat,,, and the ticket to Quebec for the Caribou Hunt.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Bye gauleee dat is da hat for sure. Da #4, she be a good gun for the Cariboo too. Da hat is good to drink wit the boys the Molson n'est pas.

Bon Chance

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Buddy
    If you want smack down with reasonable recoil the 35 Rem is a sweet one. The 45/70 is superb but the recoil with a light rifle is horrendous. Porting a barrel helps a little but then the muzzle blast is unbearable. I don't like to hunt with a gun that is punishing to shoot.

Perma - Banned
    i say go for the 30-30 I been using a Winchester 30-30 for years and I load 170gr bullets for my hunting loads! works everytime! lets keep the 30-30 tradition alive!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rjathon View Post
    If you want smack down with reasonable recoil the 35 Rem is a sweet one. The 45/70 is superb but the recoil with a light rifle is horrendous. Porting a barrel helps a little but then the muzzle blast is unbearable. I don't like to hunt with a gun that is punishing to shoot.
    The 35 Remington is a great cast boolit gun. I just inadvertently bought a second one - it happened to be included in a lot of firearms at a sweet price.
    Once I get it cleaned up I will be breaking out an RCBS 200 grain mold I bought 35 years ago for handgun silhouette shooting and never got around to casting a boolit with it.

Since the demise of the lead wheel weight I regard 200 grain bullets as somewhat extravagant - 35 bullets to the pound does not have the same appeal as a 37 grain 22 hornet boolit that allows me 189 bullets per pound of pb.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...