Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on non-1911 full sized 45acp

Boolit Grand Master

Opinions on non-1911 full sized 45acp

Been wanting to branch out and try another 45acp pistol. I've been looking at the Sig P220
    and P227 as well as the M&P 45. Leaning towards the P227. The XD series and Glock seem a bit too chunky/blocky but are still under consideration. Don't want active safeties to the FN guns are out. What else haven't I looked at and what do you owners think?

Purpose is range/fun/night stand. Night sights will be added if not from the factory. Lots of 200gr LSWC and 230gr LRN will be used as well as factory when pulling nightstand duty.

Boolit Buddy
    I have several non-1911 45s. My German 220 is very accurate with anything you put in it. Recoil is not as easily controlled as most others. I like my G21 and G41 Glocks a lot. They are accurate and quick to get back on target. They can tougher to get the most out of cast bullet loads as are the HK USPs I have. The HKs have great accuracy potential and the recoil spring set up really tames the recoil. All and all the 1911 is my favorite platform for the 45 Auto.
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you." Joe Heller

Love Life
    Once upon a time, there was a man who wanted a non-1911 45 acp semi-auto handgun. That man bought a Glock 21.

-The end

Boolit Master

I have Glock 21, HK USP full size and compact, and Sig 220. Sig is single stack. HK compact is single stack. HK USP full size is huge. Glock 21 is just right, especially Gen 2 or the SF. Gen 3 got too bulky in the grips for my taste. I have also had a Ruger P97. It too is single stack, but it was a good gun, and cheap at the time. Actually, you can still find them pretty darn cheap. Of course a used gen 2 Glock 21 can probably picked up for under $400 . ..

Boolit Master
    A CZ 97B fits your specs perfectly. I love mine. I also love my Glock 30 SF.

Boolit Grand Master
    I am fond of my Sig P-220.
    It is more accurate than any stock Glock I have fired--though that may be a function of my hand not fitting too well on the big Glock frame. It has never malfunctioned with factory ammo, nor my own reloads. I did have a problem with some gun show remanufactured stuff, but running it through a Lee FCD fixed that. Recoil is a bit more pronounced than in a 1911 of equal weight, due to the slightly higher bore axis. I carried mine as duty weapon for a while with perfect confidence.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

I shoot three 45acp's and each have their advantages and disadvantages. The S&W M&P45 is an accurate, reliable handgun with a terrible factory trigger (but that can be fixed). The Ruger 1911 is accurate, reliable, well built, and good looking. As 1911's go, I think it is one of the best. The EAA Witness is not as polished as the Ruger 1911, but is less costly, and less bulky, and has the advantage of being capable of serving as the platform for other calibers (interchangeable slides, barrels, etc).
    I shoot all of them in practical pistol shooting, and they serve me well.

Boolit Grand Master

Dont over look the most obvious "non" 1911 45 acp. Its accurate reliable and accurate. The S&W model 25

Love Life
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Dont over look the most obvious "non" 1911 45 acp. Its accurate reliable and accurate. The S&W model 25
    Agree!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    I have a 4" 625 that is a tack driving machine but the op did say pistol.
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you." Joe Heller

Boolit Master
    I love my glock 21. I wasnt sure id like the large grip with my smallish hands but a bit of abrasive skateboard tape on the grip and i love that gun. Accurate and reliable.

Love Life
    I have been thrilled with my Gen4 Glock 21. That gun has made me a better man.

Tanfogilo is the best bet in a non-1911 semi-auto

Wow lots of worms here. Sig is my choice I have a p220 with combat adj sights and I love it. Glocks dont fit my hand. The trigger sucks in my opinion and I dont care for the looks of them. Springfields feel funny to me and I have owned a couple. YMV. Al
    NRA Life Member

Guns have two enemies Rust and Politicians

If you have big hands then go with the CZ 97B. Very accurate pistol.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master

I love the P220, the older style without the rails and junk.
    Can't beat a Ruger either!
    But if size isn't an issue, S&W 4506. I shoot it and really liked it, before I was able to get a beat up P220 cheap.
    Jerry
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Check out the S&W M&P series. I have a Compact in .45ACP, and I love it. It's more of a Commander, but it fits my hand very well, is accurate and fun to shoot, and can be had without a manual safety.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Mold
    I know a lot of you like glock, but for me I love 1911and my kimber is my favorite (I know its not a non-1911). It is kind of cool ifyou read these posts. We all have a wide range of opinions, but we can all getwhat we want. Only in America......

Boolit Buddy
    Everyone has their own opinion but I consider the 220 the best non 1911 I have ever shot.

Boolit Master

I have several 1911's that have had extensive accurizing done to them. Yes, they outshoot my Springfield XD's, but only slightly. For a full size pistol, Look at the Springfield XD Match with adjustable sights. The two Springfields I own have outshot all the Glocks I have owned. Not by much, but a little, and that includes the Glock 20,10mm with aftermarket match barrel that I own. I have shot a Sig .45 that a friend owned, and it shot as well as the XD, but I still prefer the XD.
    Cast Boolits, Where lead balloons go over....