Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody casting 50 cal for In-lines?

Moderator Emeritus

Anybody casting 50 cal for In-lines?

Just wanted some ideas for a 50 caliber CVA inline I just came by. Anybody shooting fullsized bullets in these or does everybody now use sabots?

wiljen,

Get ahold of Dan at Bullshop, he has this mold!

I picked this from a thread from a site where the White guys hang out. This is a GB that we did last year, run by the famous Underclocked.

We call the bullet the uc short. Bands are just over .506 cast, we size for a slip-fit in our .504's
    Its a Lee double cavity. Weight is at 445 grains.

Last edited by skullmount; 02-17-2008 at 09:38 PM. Reason: added text, added weight

Boolit Grand Master

I have shot my CVA inline with several types but was distisfied with the results. Fact is I have too many projects and didn't take the time to work the loads out. I have other rifles that shoot better easier and so I didn't shoot it much. I have the Lee REAL, Minnie target projectile and the Lee improved Minnie.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Bub
    I was told by a very respectable person that it was the twist rate of the inlines was the culprit why nobody shoots full diamater heavy lead bullets inan inline.

BRU

Boolit Buddy
    I'm shooting a Lee 360 gr improved minie out of my 50 cal optima, also have the 320 grain REAL that needs some bench time. Bye the way, 490 round ball with 20 thousand patch will shoot a tight group at 50 yards. 1 in 28 is'nt supposed to do that.

7BRU, I hate to disillusion you and in no way doubt that person's respectability - but he is positively WRONG.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Underclocked View Post
    7BRU, I hate to disillusion you and in no way doubt that person's respectability - but he is positively WRONG.
    well then my friend tell me why i don't see anyone shooting non sabot type bullets in the inlines. it's always the hawken st louis 1 in 48 guys(i got one) shooting conicals.

BRU

Boolit Master
    7bru
    If you aint seein its cuz you aint lookin.
    BIC/BS

I picked this from the site where the White Guys hang out.
    Another comment, these Whites will shoot the plastic too!
    These were cast and shot by the same guy, Woodgoat, who is putting together the .350 ML, mentioned in the ML Dreamin thread.

skullmount

I got out today in the middle of the day and tried out the new Lee mould bullets. I only had 20 lubed up, and after a few shots to get on paper, I shot these two five shot groups. Shot the fffg first, then moved the elevation up a dozen or so clicks and shot the ffg group. Based on ten shots, it looks like this one wants ffg. I got lucky with my rifle and mould this time, these are shot just as they fall out of the mould, no sizing. They just barely engrave going down with just enough tension to keep em from moving when seated. I loaded these with wads cut from a golf ball box. Pro V I's for the record ;D

I had seven left after that and just shot em all up at this bull. You can see that they started to walk up as the barrel got hot and crusty inside, but when I wiped the bore with one slightly damp patch, the last shot went right back in the group. I bleeve I can bust a deer's ace wid this stuff.

Boolit Master
    This one is with a gas check 610gn boolit from a White rifle.
    http://dwbs.proboards28.com/index.cg...ead=1196805679

Here ya go Dan.
    Hope this helps!

Another full bore conical, 610 grainer cast by Bullshop

But first I fired out the load that had been in the Ultra Mag for over 14 and a half days. The original 4 shot group from sight in on November 2nd was still attached to my target box so I fired at it rather hurriedly. I think it did not so bad (half of that displacement was probably due to my anticipation of the big bruisers I was going to shoot ). All shots fired today were at 100 yards.

Used a MAP dampened patch - both sides to swab after the shot above and after all subsequent shots. Didn't bother with a dry patch.

Fired the Bull Shop gas-checked 610 grain conicals over a charge of 60 grains of FFFg Swiss. I fired each shot as quickly as I could get reloaded for reasons unknown to me. ;D I knew that I had pulled up on shot 3 the moment I felt the trigger break : . That "greater than" symbol was supposed to be a "less than". DOH!

Recoil was not at all severe with that load. I think the group could have been more impressive with more carefully thrown charges and a bit more time between shots.

The big boolits are magnificent bastichez but did fit a little loose in my Umag's bore. I could live with that.

Thankyouverymuch

Boolit Bub
    very nice. where do i jump on the bandwagon. but wait a minute. where are the targets shooting 2 pellets or 3 pellets. or if you wish 120 grains of loose powder magnum charge.

BRU
    Last edited by 7BRU; 02-20-2008 at 06:26 PM.

Moderator / Master Tool & Die Maker

7BRU:

What are you wanting to kill, elephants? And throw those pellets in the bush as far as you can, they are good for .............

You'll get better accuracy with loose powder. Accuracy would be my primary goal, pushing the coal to her would be next. Besides, after firing a few 600 grainers backed by 120 grs of HOLY BLACK, you'll soon change your mind.

The pictures in the previous posts most certainly prove that full bore slugs can and will shoot well in modern muzzle loaders with fast rates of twist. The key is to find the right combination.

RRR
    "I Make the part.............................that makes the parts"

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds? Check here:http://www.kal.castpics.net/

My Feedback!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Red-River-Rick

Boolit Bub
    oh i don't know about elephants but i usually shoot at least 80-100 grains. never have liked to shoot over 100 gr of loose because i never saw much of an improvement and yes i agree with u RRR about the pellets. they just suck.

I just want to be able to shoot a conical around 400 gr with 80-100 gr of loose and hit the broadside of a barn without having to clean the gun after one shot.

thanks BRU

Quote Originally Posted by 7BRU View Post
    very nice. where do i jump on the bandwagon. but wait a minute. where are the targets shooting 2 pellets or 3 pellets. or if you wish 120 grains of loose powder magnum charge.
    BRU
    7bru,
    surely you jest, pellets.......

No jumping involved here, just time. The right bullet, the right charge and lots of time at the bench.......just like the other irons that you push lead thru...............

Quote Originally Posted by 7BRU View Post
    oh i don't know about elephants but i usually shoot at least 80-100 grains. never have liked to shoot over 100 gr of loose because i never saw much of an improvement and yes i agree with u RRR about the pellets. they just suck.

I just want to be able to shoot a conical around 400 gr with 80-100 gr of loose and hit the broadside of a barn without having to clean the gun after one shot.

thanks BRU
    Look at the target, and the loads listed there. One of the best lessons I have learned about thisover the years is, "Less is More"
    Less powder=More accurate

What are you shooting now? Is your bore consistant, from muzzle to breech?
    What kind of lube is used?
    Slug your bore.

Banned
    I personaly shoot the U C Shorts out of my Inlines with 85gr loose 2fg 777 And I will tell you that I am very Impresed with th accuracy all My Inlines carry a 1/28" Twist GM Barrle , I can shoot a 1" to 1.50" 5 Shot group at 100yds All day long I purches these from Dan AT BULL SHOP . AWSOME to say the least.
    Ron

Hi, I never thought my 1st post would be in the BP section. My son was a dedicated Sabot shooter but since we cast and shoot 7 different calibers (adding 2 rifles this week) we decided to give CB's a try. I soft cast straight WW strips in the LEE R.E.A.L mold. I then tumbled them in hot Johnson's Floor wax. He loads them with a wad of Borebutter on top of 100gr of Pyrodex (by weight) After firing 3 rounds (<1.25") he gave up sabots. Since seeing his results I pickup a CVA for X-mas. If it ever gets warm and dry at the same time we are going to try replacing the Johnson's wax and Borebutter with BPRC from White Label Lube (http://www.lsstuff.com/index.html)

[See it doesn't hurt to make a post..LOL Great Forum] I guess I'd better find an avatar next.

Boolit Bub
    U C shorts. thanks lungbuster. and rayber thanks also. i got a FRIEND that has a lee real mold like u speak of. looked at it just a few minutes ago. how much does it weigh?

see thats what i am after. 200 yard range 300 gr full fifty caliber cast slug.

less is more. less powder means more trajectory.

BRU

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayber View Post
    I soft cast straight WW strips in the LEE R.E.A.L mold.
    your so called strips of ww....... I take it you mean stick on ww...they are pretty mutch pure soft lead.... I cast up some R.E.A.L's out of clip on ww... big big mistake on my part......I got one flush with the top off the muzzle,,, and could not drive it any farther with a short starter.....my hand was bruzed- soar for a week I end up taking it back to the house and drilling it out,,,,,,was told I could anneal them and make them work* soft'n em up * never had any luck at that,,,, either smelted them back down to a useable ingot...... and only cast the R.E.A.L's,,,,, out of soft lead from that point on

My Dad was shooting the 240 grn 50 cal R.E.A.L's out of his 1-28 twist * they are twin guns* and I was shooting the Lee C452 300 RF grn 45 cal with a Harvester Sabot my 300 grn 45 cal shoots mutch flatter than the R.E.A.L does with less powder sighted at 50 yards we were shooting 85 grns of 2f tripple f sub at 50 yards we're both on the paper me 1" high him dead on....... at 100 yards i'm about 1'' low..... and he is completely off the paper..... we had to jack him up to 120 grns* max load* to get him back on the paper.....

I was trying to get away from the xtra cost of a sabot,,, when plinking but for hunting ,,, I'll pay the xtra cost for the flatter shot,,,,

Where is wiljen? He asked the question.

Maybe he is sittin on the sideline with a big grin!