Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Repackbox

Thread: Taurus Tracker .44 Mag

Taurus Tracker .44 Mag

Here in California, unless it's a SA you can't buy a new wheelgun. (Correct me if I'm wrong. This will be my first revolver).
    So last night I found a Taurus Tracker NIB, well below retail that I'll be buying as a private transfer.
    I know it's not a S&W or super RH.
    But does anyone here have one of these in .44 mag and what do you think of it.
    Thanks
    Pablo

Boolit Buddy
    I don't own one but have shot one and I liked it, would buy one if I was in the market for A .44 MAG. It's not an anchor but wan't too abusive with the factory stuff the owner had. I even shot a heavy loaded buffalo bore round,one was enough.

Ever think of moving?

Boolit Grand Master

Lots of Taurus bashing I've seen over the years and it's been deserved at times, but my personal experience is that they make serviceable revolvers. The tracker line is a mid frame sized and has porting. I wouldn't load up the heavies in this one, besides, the cylinders are on the short side.

If you're Jonesing to get one and that money is burning a hole, have at it. I'd personally wait on a Smith or Ruger. If it was a raging bull model, I think, if you're a HANDLOADER that shoots lots of heavy stuff, it would be better than a tracker.

Boolit Grand Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GUN PICS 12-16 012.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	114643
    I have a Tracker which I have carried while hunting and I like it, but with the understanding that it is more of a "plus P" 44 Special than a 44 mag. Heavy loads are brutal. I use a 429-421 loaded over 17.5 grains of 2400 as max for this gun, while my Redhawk scoffs at such pantywaist loadings. That said, the Tracker is much more portable. I'd feel fine carrying it anywhere in the lower 48. It makes a very good defensive weapon as well.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

I have one of these, and for shooting stuff like the Kieth boolit, it works great.... It does NOT like the heavy's like the lee 310.... I have tried the lee boolit in several trackers, and they are just too much lead for the medium framed 44... Causes them to mal function and lockup or fail to cycle property... If you stay in the 240 gr range, you will have no problems....

AG

Boolit Master

My son has one of these, 5 shot with the ported barrel. It shoots well, can be brutal with full power 240gr+. We load the Lee 200gr RF. We have also had some lockup issues with heavy loads in it, I believe it is a weak spring issue.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I have the 44 Magnum and the 41 Magnum. The 44 has a back bored muzzle to allow faster pressure drop. The 4" gun actually has only 3" of rifling. With the right bullets it is an accurate and handy belt gun. The 41 Magnum has rifling all the way to the muzzle, full 4" barrel, very easy to handle with full power hand loads. The cylinders are shorter than Ruger and Smiff; as already stated. I sold off all my 44 Magnum revolvers but the Tracker, kept my 10" Contender and my carbine. The Trackers are good guns.

That's great to hear guys.
    I ordered a set of dies, the Lee 200RF mold and push through sizer last night.
    I plan on going with a clear coat PC instead of lube.
    I can always with a 240gr mold in the future.
    Pablo

Boolit Master

I had one. Only shot PMC 180 grain jacketed bullets. Recoil was there, but not too bad. I actually used a chrony on that load. It did better than you would think at 1300 fps from a 2 1/2" barrel.