Titan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionWidenersInline Fabrication
Repackbox
Page 26 of 39 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Project - PID on Lee Pro 4 20 furnace

Woohoo! Congratulations on a nice job.
    One last thing- fire it up!
    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --H. L. Menchen

Here it goes,

the on/off switch lights when on,

It overshoot a little

There it is

Really thanks to all couldn't do it with out all the help?
    Last edited by stanley2; 07-19-2014 at 08:58 PM.

That rocks. The overshoot is intentional if it's doing autotune, it learns the lag time of heater on and a rise in pot temp, and also how fast the pot cools off with the heater off.

Nice job, it'll really add to your casting fun.
    Last edited by el34; 07-20-2014 at 11:34 AM.
    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --H. L. Menchen

Well done stanley2 . Not really that hard, is it?

Boolit Buddy
    Looks real good! You'll love it!

Boolit Bub
    I have a Chromalox digital temp controller which already has a 20 amp internal relay installed. Can I use this for this project. I am lousy with pics so i found one like it on ebay. 13244464786 is the item number. If so ...can someone PLEASE tell me how to wire it. I have 2.. 700 degree temp K type couplers for it. I want to make it a portable unit so the probes can be disconnected between my Lee 20 pound pot and my smelting propane powered pot. All I want to do is keep track of lead temp in the propane pot...not control it. Any help would be appreciated. The unit was originally used in a gas fired oven to bake off grease and oil on Engine blocks and cylinder heads.

13244464786 no workee in the eBay search bar. But sounds like it would work.

Boolit Buddy

Might be able to get a manual from their website?

Randy

Boolit Bub
    I am sorry ...try...131244464786...helps if I put in the right numbers .

If your are using a gas burner no need for a relay, the relay is used in electric pots like the lee 4-20

Quote Originally Posted by srd View Post
    I have a Chromalox digital temp controller which already has a 20 amp internal relay installed. Can I use this for this project. I am lousy with pics so i found one like it on ebay. 13244464786 is the item number. If so ...can someone PLEASE tell me how to wire it. I have 2.. 700 degree temp K type couplers for it. I want to make it a portable unit so the probes can be disconnected between my Lee 20 pound pot and my smelting propane powered pot. All I want to do is keep track of lead temp in the propane pot...not control it. Any help would be appreciated. The unit was originally used in a gas fired oven to bake off grease and oil on Engine blocks and cylinder heads.

I liked making my PID that I made a second one, here it is from the beginning:

The Computer Power supply.

All of that has to go, I'll use some of the wires and the fan

The cut outs for the PID and the socket

Lighted switch installed

The SSR is installed as well as the fan and power wires

The power outlet is in and wired

Last edited by stanley2; 07-22-2014 at 10:05 PM.

The PID is in its place and wired

Testing

Its working!!!

Well that didn't take long! Pretty soon you'll be a factory. Is your TC directly connected? Looks like it.

Thanks, yes the tc is directly connected, that is one of the things that I'll be changing soon.

Quote Originally Posted by el34 View Post
    Well that didn't take long! Pretty soon you'll be a factory. Is your TC directly connected? Looks like it.
    Last edited by stanley2; 07-23-2014 at 11:40 AM.

srd, you may find that those 700* thermocouples might be borderline, as sometimes it may be necessary to run hotter than 700.

Boolit Bub
    dikman...thanks for your reply. I will upgrade to the next higher temp probe with out question. My main concern is being able to wire in the Chromalox controller. I understand than in its original configuration the internal relay was not used. Seeing how it does contain an internal solid state relay it would be worth trying . On the ebay site where they show a pic of the back of the controller with a an internal diagram . I know where the probe gets wiree in its how to wire in power and ground with a switch. Thank you

Boolit Mold

Fan Question

Stanley2 Noticed you used a computer power supply. I'm trying the same - know enough about electricity to be dangerous. I haven't checked the fan in the power supply case for voltage - how did you wire it in? Thank for your help.

Hi, yes I used the fan, this runs on 12volt, so I got a 12v 1a DC converter from a modem that I had. Like this one:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=331284496004

It is wired to the SSR output.

Quote Originally Posted by BTimm View Post
    Stanley2 Noticed you used a computer power supply. I'm trying the same - know enough about electricity to be dangerous. I haven't checked the fan in the power supply case for voltage - how did you wire it in? Thank for your help.

Boolit Master
    Ok
    I have questions ... thiis is one of those threads that has become a bit strung out. Lots of info but i'm sure plenty has changed. I see that a PID controller would be of great benefit. My buddy el34 has a nice PID on his furnace. and he actually uses it as an elevated base for the pot. So ... which are the easy to use inexpensive parts that I need and where do I source them?
    need the controller and a temp probe k type? I have a box full of brand new SSR's so I can skip that? I also have a nice heavy metal enclosure I can use.
    Do, or do not.
    There is no try.
    Yoda