RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWideners
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How many here shoot a .405 Winchester

Boolit Bub
    I shoot a Win/Miroku 1885 and find it a tackdriver with Marbles aperture sight. Bullet is Mountain Mould 330gr GC (nominal) sized .413 and lubed with Rooster HVR. No leading at all.
    Powder is Somchem S365 ( stick powder / extruded) very similar burn to H-4350 with 55.0gr delivering approx 1910fps average. Fill is about 99%.
    Also have a Ruger #1 in same .405 cal. Hope to make some time to see how shoots above load.

Boolit Master
    Mine is an original, sort of, and likes the Lyman 412263. Like LSS, I use 3031 and 4895 but I also like 5744. I also like to load it to moderate levels and save the factory stuff for the odd roaming rhinoceros or bear.

Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay M View Post
    Something I did with my two modern 95's was to put a red Winchester recoil pad on them.They are available from Connecticut Shotgun MFG CO. I did not cut the stock ,just shaped the pad and put it on. It increased the length of pull which was good for me.It also made the gun more comfortable to shoot with heavier loads.

The takedown is every bit as accurate as my solid frame. Maybe more so.
    Clay, after looking at my rifle noticed the butt has a slight curve to it. Any issues with fitting the straight red pad to it?
    Moving back to Alaska

Boolit Master
    An alternative to adding a pad would be to fabricate a lace on. While the 405 does have a bit of recoil with heavy loads, I think a lot of the discomfort comes from muzzle jump. The idea I use for the crescent styles is to flatten the butt surface. The only tricky part is making a "saddle" shaped thick leather insert to take up the space between the flat and the crescent. The commercial ones with the soft gel inserts don't work well for me so I just replace that squishy internal pad with the thick leather insert.

I've used this type on several originals I didn't want to damage or modify, plus the leather pad protects the original butt plates from scuffing. BTW, the LOP with the lace-on pad is 13 1/2". Win M95 405 shown.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    Clay, after looking at my rifle noticed the butt has a slight curve to it. Any issues with fitting the straight red pad to it?
    If your rifle has the steel shotgun butt like my guns then it is no problem with the pad. It looks fantastic and really helps with heavy recoil.

Good choice of rifle! To be honest I have only shot factory loads in mine over the years. It is my go-to gun for elk in the woods. It is a stinking show stopper. Elk can soak up a lot of lead, but not from a .405! I have plans to cast for it, but I'm kind of meticulous about developing 1 boolit/load at a time. If you get a good one, leave some data on this thread for the rest of us.
    If you're gonna shoot shoot, don't talk.

One of my favorite rifles for mountain walks as well as Texas hog hunts. I also have the Browning reproduction and get best results with Rel7. Best hunting boolit is the 350 gr. gas check from RCBS mold (for 416 Rigby/Taylor/Remington) sized to .413. At 2000 fps. It hits hard and penetrates anything.

Boolit Mold
    still have some 405 ammo?