Inline FabricationWidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I should stay out of gunshops

Boolit Master
    I've sworn off buying anymore guns, that was about 15 gun ago! I'm a sucker for a good bargain, but haven't seen a good bargain in a while, so it been a few months!

Boolit Master
    tell her to be happy. I went to Boise Gun Company with a friend last month, and about $1961 later, a really gorgeous 100+ year old O/U 16 gauge over 8x72mmR Sauer followed me home.
    Fully engraved, shiny bright bores in both barrels. Of course it was originally fitted with claw mounts. Mark Cromwell at NECG informs me he can fit a new set of rings and mount the scope for about $700 and four months at his shop.

Made by Gundermann of Dusseldorf. Best part of the deal, is that it is the small bore 8mm, and Stone Crusher (thank you!) sent me some NOE 299316 samples that fit perfectly. RCBS is making me dies, and HDS stocks the 8mm's big brother, the 9,3x72mm R Sauer brass. I should be in business in about six weeks.

The bad news, I have had my firearms spending privileges suspended until the $$$ is replaced in the savings account.

Idaho Sharpshooter, I would love to see pictures of that... Sorry about your suspended spending privileges...
    "These are not hi-capacity magazines, these are standard capacity magazines. High capacity is belt fed from the can."

Boolit Grand Master

I've been on a bit of a spending spree, last three were items I'd been looking for or planning on. One rifle required new dies & brass, the other required a new mould. The shotgun required quite a few extras, will eventually need a MEC press. Yep, I'm tired of spending money. I told a few folks I was done buying guns for awhile, they thought it was pretty funny.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    at least my wife thinks so. Buddy called today and wanted to take a ride. Got there and they had a brand new 300 wby vanguard with the brown speckled stock that some guy won in at a banquet and traded in. Got it out the door for 400 bucks. Couldnt pass it for that. Wife shook her head. 4th new gun since the first of the year. Told her the years still young!!

Some years ago dad and I were planning a trip out west. I had a flat one morning and while roaming around wal-mart waiting for them to fix the tire, I saw one of those very rifles, in that caliber, on clearance for $350.

Dad killed an elk and a really big whitetail buck with it that fall.

For the price you paid, it would be hard to find a better long-range slayer of anything in North America.

Vendor Sponsor

LLoyd and others,,, I am currently at 5 so far this year. Ruger Guide Gun, S&W696, two CZ82's and just last week an Enfield Mk4#1 "sporter." I am running out of things I want. However nice shotguns are always attractive.

There is still plenty of time left this year.

I feel you have to look at good deals as investments, and if you pick them up right you can always sell them and make some money and wifey will never argue with making money.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Randy - how many guns do you have in your safe that you haven't shot in years, no plans on shooting them in the foreseeable future and when was the last time you sold one????

I just tell the wife they are for the grand kids! So far it has worked.
    Big Bore = 45+

Boolit Buddy
    GRRRRR Grumble, Grumble, GRRRR! You guys just rub my sore spot. 42 years of marriage and my wife has only claimed one gun, a 1969 6" Blue Steel Colt Python. For a guy with 27 pistols, she had to pick the best one. I guess she has very good tastes. I know she does, she picked Me. Although her sisters seem to think she picked me because she is a glutton for punishment.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by schutzen View Post
    GRRRRR Grumble, Grumble, GRRRR! You guys just rub my sore spot. 42 years of marriage and my wife has only claimed one gun, a 1969 6" Blue Steel Colt Python. For a guy with 27 pistols, she had to pick the best one. I guess she has very good tastes. I know she does, she picked Me. Although her sisters seem to think she picked me because she is a glutton for punishment.
    If you have 27 pistols it would seem she is an understanding woman. Better her pick the Python than a new husband.

Boolit Master
    I have not bought a gun in two years. have not been in a gun shop in 4 or more. the last gun auction I went to came home with 4. wife said that makes more money for me when I have the auction. now that I am retired I am working on the ones that needed work. got 2 more muzzle loaders to fresh out, a single that needs the barrel turned it is way out of line.

Walked into a pawn shop the other day and looked at a really clean Savage 116 Stainless Steel 30-06. The guy said make an offer. I walked out of there with it for $275 and I wasn't even planning on buying a gun, was just looking and wasting time. Of course now it needs a Boyds stock and a new scope and maybe even a new barrel. Not because it needs it, just because now I have it fix it up since I own it.

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by KMac View Post
    Of course now it needs a Boyds stock and a new scope and maybe even a new barrel. Not because it needs it, just because now I have it fix it up since I own it.

Give that 116 a chance to show what it can do in its present form.

My 116 in .338 was bought second-hand from an acquaintance, and it simply SHOOTS. It still has the original stainless fluted barrel and plastic factory stock.

Three-shot 100-yard groups with the 225-grain Barnes TSX bullet run UNDER 1/2"..... consistently. These are full-power .338 loads, and what more could a man want? The rifle is among the most accurate sporters I've ever owned, in a long life of buying and shooting hunting rifles.

An "upgrade" could actually REDUCE the accuracy capabilities of your rifle. Try it out first.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

I will definitely give it a try before I do anything to it. Had a savage 110 in 7 mm mag a few years back that was very accurate just like it was. Always wanted to customize it but never got the chance to before I ended up selling it to pay bills. However another scope is mandatory and I really don't care for the plastic stock even though it is light as hellL Will put another scope on it and see how it goes from there.
    " My people skills are just fine. It's my tolerance for idiots that needs work."

Boolit Master
    Many years ago I found a 788 in .30-30 at a local show. It was in very good condition and even came with an brand-new extra mag still in the box so of course like any right-thinking caster would do I brought it home.
    <
    When the time came to "face the music" I found myself talking too fast like a used car salesman, explaining all of the virtues of a 788 in .30-30. She Who Must Be Obeyed picked it up, shouldered it, and sighted the factory irons at a spot across the yard. Something about the way it felt or the way it fit struck her fancy, and she asked "Would this work for deer hunting?"
    <
    I replied that well, yes, you certainly could shoot a deer with it - in fact that was pretty much what it was made for - but I had much nicer deer rifles in much better calibers that she could use. This rifle was to be a cast boolit rifle.
    <
    "But I could shoot deer with it, right? It would work OK for that too, right?"
    <
    You just know what happened. I had to admit that it would make a pretty good light-kicking deer rifle, and it's been her deer rifle ever since. She's killed a load of venison with it over the years and still likes it today as much as ever. Thankfully, I do get to shoot cast in it now and then.
    <
    Uncle R.

Boolit Bub
    haha well sometimes you gotta spring for a deal!

Boolit Grand Master

Saw a heavy varmint bbl Model 70 in 223 today, nice laminated stock. Been thinking about a rifle along those lines for some time. Saw a Remington 81 in 35 Rem, it was there a few few weeks ago, very intriguing rifle in a cartridge I really like. Both seemed to be reasonably priced, Winchester was nearly new. Somehow left the store without either of them following me home. I think there's something wrong with me.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Love Life
    Go get the Winchester.

Boolit Grand Master

I would, but I have a 14" Contender bbl in .223 that will most likely outshoot it. Hasn't been out of the safe in 15-20 yrs. I have absolutely no use for something like that, having too much fun with big, heavy, slow chunks of lead these days.

Love Life
    Go get both of them. You know you want to.

Boolit Grand Master

I've had way too much fun in gunshops lately, need to build up cash reserves for awhile. Lost track of the rifles that have followed me home this year, was just sitting here trying to recall the rifle I bought before the old levergun this month. (It was another old levergun ) Yep, it's time to stop dragging them home and start dragging them off to the range. It's been a lot of fun, tho. Don't even have moulds or loads figured out for my latest two. I really enjoyed looking over texassako's 81 a few weeks ago, truly a fascinating design. Big problem with the Winchester is that it has an el cheapo scope & rings on it, I'd spend as much on the optics as the rifle.
    Went and shot a few rounds of trap instead. That might get as addicting as cruising used rifle racks. May need to get set up to reload for it but Winchester ammo is cheap at the moment.