Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
RepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: Master Caster Maintenance?

Boolit Master

Master Caster Maintenance?

Those of you who may be lucky enough to own a Magma Master Caster, what kind of maintenance is required? What do you do religously?

Do you ever leave the mold in it?

What about the roll pins? That seems less than ideal. Why don't they use screws like with a set of handles?..hard to understand this one.

Do you have their controller/PID?

How about the fan? Is that extra or is it included. The site doesn't say.

Boolit Man
    I had and later sold a Master Caster when we upgraded to three bullet masters. As far as maintenance, I light oiled the pivot areas of the handle and mount assemblies. The carrier arms (where they rub on the rails) use a stick lube that they will send with the machine. I left the molds in if I planned on using it again soon. the roll pins are easy in and out. I firmly beleave that a threaded screw would wear out and strip withthe amount of movement and force applied to the area. The only issue with them is they do weaken over time and need replaced. I keep a stock of them. the fan is included and runs on a seperate 110v plug. I had the 220v pot. I had the dial temp control on my MC, but have the PID on two of our bullet masters. Our dial temp on the MC did need ot be adjusted (not hard, and they will walk you through it) as it was only getting to about 680 when set at 800. Once you get the hang of it, the MC is pretty fool proof. If you have any questions, feel free to call Magma. Great customer service, and somone will always answer the phone during business hours.

Boolit Master
    I just ordered one and was a little disappointed on three counts. 1) On their price list they say one mold is included. On the phone, they said that is no longer true and to keep from raising the price of the pot they removed the mold. I would have argued but I suspect this is not a large company that can deal effectively with these kind of things. The molds are also listed at $87.00 and the new price is $92.50 Also they use UPS, who are really over priced. Dillon and most others that ships heavy items use Fedex. The difference is significant. For about the same weight and distance Dillon's Fedex was 24.95 and Magma's UPS was $71.00. 3) It's a 6 week wait. None in stock. This is why I didn't argue with them over price. They're clearly a small company.

Other than that....I just can't wait!!!

Boolit Master
    The Master Caster I purchased was used. After a little clean up and lubing the main bushings the machine worked very well in the manual mode.
    The machine was automated with a CLICK PLC and some air cylinders like others have done on this thread.
    After automation the machine will cast 700 -800 bullets per hour.
    I keep the machine lubed and use the BullShop spruce plate lube.
    The automated machine has cast thousands of bullets.
    The 180 grain bullet for the 40 S&W has been cast on several occasions, the total for this one bullet is over 10,000 cast.
    Keep the machine clean, lubed and the clearances adjusted for each mold this machine will out last several owners.
    Some of the molds were purchased new from Master Caster and some of the molds have been purchased used from sellers on this forum.

Banned

the roll pins are the way to go you can get them at your local ace hardware for about 10 cents each.
    a screw would just bounce around and get loose then the holes would have to be re-taped at some point then your holes on the mold adaptors would all have to be drilled out too.

anyway I just lube the rod to the handle and the alignment bars.
    I also lube the mold itself to help with the alignment and for lube smears if I miss count.

Been using mine for 15yrs+ now, still running well. The roll pins make mold changes easy, if they wear, replace them for 5c each. The fan comes with. I leave molds in all the time, but I live in a relatively dry climate here. I NEVER empty the pot. I keep it half full at shutdown for quicker start up, then add metal as it comes to casting temp. No PID, but the therm on it seems to work fine. Just keep it at least half full at all times. As noted, lube the guide rails with the lube stick, about all the maintenance needed.
    I am glad I have mine, bought it 15yrs ago for $495, but really, at the current price, I can turn out more bullets with a 4cav mold & 20# anyone's bottom pour. It's not fast but it is easy to cast for several hours, you are just pulling the handle. If everything is going well, you are running about 500 bullets per hour. With a 4cav mold, 700+, 6cav, 1000/hr.
    Last edited by fredj338; 08-08-2014 at 04:15 PM.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    I wasn't aware that you could put 4 and 6 cavity molds in it. I've only seen 2 cavity...how does that all work? Does Magma convert them? I assume load 2 cavities, move the mold, load 2 more, etc. Can you use Aluminum molds?
    [

Boolit Master
    Magma said demand was super strong. The best they could do on a Master Caster was 5-6 weeks. They said on their commercial models it was upwards of 2 years....yikes! You'd think they would hire some folks. Maybe quality keeps them from going down that road.
    [

Banned

one and 2 cavity molds is about all it will do.
    I would NOT use an aluminum mold on the machine it would get torn up in short order.
    magma does very. very good work.
    if they say there mold will make 452 with 2/6/92 it will make 452 + for sizing to 452.
    if you buy a sizer from them it comes the size you order.
    I have only had one snafu with them [in something like 22 years] which was fixed with a phone call and a returned part [and may have been my fault]

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    I can turn out more bullets with a 4cav mold & 20# anyone's bottom pour. It's not fast but it is easy to cast for several hours, you are just pulling the handle. If everything is going well, you are running about 500 bullets per hour. With a 4cav mold, 700+, 6cav, 1000/hr.
    Ok, after re-reading that I realize that you were refering to using hand 4 and 6 cavilty molds...not using 4 and 6 cavity molds in the Master Caster.
    [