Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingLoad DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 45 Long Colt Winchester 94 for deer hunting?

Boolit Buddy

45 Long Colt Winchester 94 for deer hunting?

I'm on the fence with this one. I'm getting back into deer hunting this year after about a 20 year hiatus. So do any of you hunt with a 45 Long Colt rifle? Deer? I wouldn't try too make any shots over 50 yards. Any load recommendations? Thanks, Will
    Last edited by webradbury; 08-10-2014 at 10:52 AM.

Boolit Buddy

I have a Rossi in 45lc it is a deer slaying machine. 100 yards no problem. Right shot ect I would do 150.
    PaGunBuilder. Learning to build the guns that shaped our country.

"Stand your ground! Don't fire unless fired upon! But if they want to have a war, let it begin here!"

Boolit Grand Master

No problem at up to 100 yards for me out of my Marlins with or without scope. Load up some and practice practice practice.

Boolit Buddy
    Excellent! Load recommendations? Its a sweet shooting little rifle that would work well in a tree stand ( an unfortunate almost requirement here in eastern NC). I have this little "hole" field set off the road that is completely surrounded by woods except for the one tractor path in and out. Field is maybe 100-125 yds long and 100 yard wide. Sound perfect for this rifle!

Vendor Sponsor

What boolit what load? .45 Colt is my favorite caliber to reload for, and I hunt with it as well.

My "buckbusters" are 50/50+2% alloy cast from the Lee C452-300-RF mold over 17.0gr Hercules 2400 or 20.5gr LilGun, WLP primers, modified Lee collet style crimp.

Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    50/50 +2% alloy? I'm not very knowledgeable with the cast mixtures alloy shorthand, sorry.

Vendor Sponsor

50% clip on wheel weight, 50% pure lead, and 2% tin. It makes a great alloy, a little on the soft side about bhn12 or so, but a great hunting boolit.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    Great! Much abliged!

Boolit Master
    If you are not up to casting your own yet look at the Laser Cast 250gr RNFP lead. They can be pushed pretty fast, and are very accurate in everything I have tried. They will drop a deer like nobodies business at 100+ yards and beyond in the right load.

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    What boolit what load? .45 Colt is my favorite caliber to reload for, and I hunt with it as well.

My "buckbusters" are 50/50+2% alloy cast from the Lee C452-300-RF mold over 17.0gr Hercules 2400 or 20.5gr LilGun, WLP primers, modified Lee collet style crimp.

I'm casting the same mould for my '94 Legacy. They smack the paper with authority!! Would punch right thru a deer I'm sure.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    50% clip on wheel weight, 50% pure lead, and 2% tin. It makes a great alloy, a little on the soft side about bhn12 or so, but a great hunting boolit.
    I was going to suggest 17-18gr with that boolit and alloy but you beat me to it although considering the size of whitetail here in nc a 454190 would do the job nicely
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Buddy
    Is it a good idea to use a gas check boolit with the micro groove barrel? I've been shooting with plain base boolits but lower power loads. And a smaller boolit. Could I pump up a 255 plain base load?

Quote Originally Posted by webradbury View Post

Is it a good idea to use a gas check boolit with the micro groove barrel ?

It won't make any difference to you, especially since only Marlins have MicroGroove bbls, and you stated you have a Winchester 94.

Boolit Master
    On the breaks of the Ohio River South Central Indiana
    Not to step on toes but the 454190 is a not a good choice in a tube magazine, meplat is way to small just about the size of the LPP and could cause some probs.

I traded for a couple hundred just for my Rossi '92 but when I got my hands on them I chose to go to the Lyman 452664 which is a newer CAS design especially for lever guns. The RCBS 45-255 SWC is another good flat point for lever guns but you have to watch the trim on your brass as they can get to long to feed in a lever gun.
    "NUTS" A. Clement McAullife

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post
    It won't make any difference to you, especially since only Marlins have MicroGroove bbls, and you stated you have a Winchester 94.

You are right! I'm an idiot! I've been loading for my brothers Marlin 45-70 and had micro groove on my mind.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dagger dog View Post
    Not to step on toes but the 454190 is a not a good choice in a tube magazine, meplat is way to small just about the size of the LPP and could cause some probs.

I traded for a couple hundred just for my Rossi '92 but when I got my hands on them I chose to go to the Lyman 452664 which is a newer CAS design especially for lever guns. The RCBS 45-255 SWC is another good flat point for lever guns but you have to watch the trim on your brass as they can get to long to feed in a lever gun.
    I have not had a problem in my Rossi with that boolit. My broader point was that a 300gr was not necessary down here and a 255gr would do the trick.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

Considering millions of buffalo were killed with only a little more muzzle energy I'd say you were on pretty solid footing using the 45 (not "Long") Colt on deer. Awesome cartridge; packs a whallop, punches big holes to let air in and blood out.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

i would need to dig thru my notes that are still buried from moving but from memory i load the 45 colt as such.

first i measured the mouth of the fired case to determine the diameter my throat would need ... my Miroku/Winchester model 92 takes a .457 inch boolit in the fired case so i tried some of my accurate molds boolits of a bit more weight and they sure do carry the power in the lower 45-70 area. no reason why this round would not dispatch any deer shot with it at the appropriate yardage.

i also use the 2400 powder as well as IMR's 4227. won't guess at the grainage but one 340 grain boolit flew at 1600 FPS out of my 24 inch round barrel. these really are a fairly nice shooting round in my Winchester '92' but can't say in a '94'.

first get to know what diameter your rifle desires and feed it what it says it likes as a diet and like stated above ... shoot shoot shoot to get familiar with its intricacies. these newer rifles are the shis nits and i really do enjoy mine.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks, fellas. Good information here!

Boolit Buddy
    The .45 Colt is a nice choice for deer and/or hogs.

Can I suggest a scope - either a scout scope or traditional. I have a Marbles Tang (peep) sight on my .45 and while it works quiet well target shooting it would not be my choice for hunting. My Rossi is a .454 Casull model and has scope mount holes under the buckhorn sights - I can easily mount a scout scope here. Most Marlins come with scope mounts, but many rifles will require you to drill and tap them for the mounting screws.

Keep this in mind while searching for a rifle - a scope extends you abilities. While you may not "need" a scope at 100 yards it would certainly help with shot placement.

M