WidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: I have gooey lube!

Boolit Buddy

I have gooey lube!

My lube is a bit gooey - kinda like candy that is half eaten and dropped on the carpet.

I mixed 50/50 Gulf paraffin and petroleum jelly with a teaspoon of STP oil treatment and two crayons for color.
    I'm storing and heating it in a thrift store soup warner that takes about 45 minutes to melt all the wax.

I don't really care for the gooey stuff - and it doesn't stay in the lube groves when I pan lube.

Should I start over with a different mix?

M

Boolit Grand Master
    Where did you get the recipe for this ?

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    100% petroleum base. That scares the jeebies out of me.

I have had zero luck with pan lubing unless I used a cookie cutter. Same deal, lube pulled out of the grooves. A few members on here make cookie cutters, try those when the lube is still soft but no longer molten. Then it works a treat.

If your lube is gooey, add more wax. I sure wouldn't be using just parrafin though, I'd switch that out for beeswax. But for that matter, I never have been a fan of vaseline as lube. Synthetic grease, yes, that's ok, but every time I've tried petro base lubes I got a lot of tar and crappy accuracy.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    And it is summer..........and temps are up. Grease lubes will be a bit thinner and stickier when at these temps. I was raised in Iowa and I know what kinds of temps you can have in MO!

That is why I have switched from grease lubes to powder coating here in the desert southwest, especially in this summer heat! And NO LEADING!

bangerjim

Boolit Master

use what you have, put the lubed bullet in the freezer,
    when cool, pop out the bullets and the lube should stay in the grooves.

Please report back how this has worked for you

Mike

p.s. what bullet are you pan lubing?
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Moderator Emeritus

You are real close to an excellent Lube
    Get some Ivory soap and some Beeswax.
    and recook your lube, add beeswax last...after the lube has cooled to about 150º

see post #5
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=1#post2653932
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    The Boolit is a 454-255 (out of production) two big lube rings...and I got the recipe from this web site. I'll add some beeswax and Ivory soap.
    And the temp in St. Louis was all the way up to 84 last week (we're having a very cool summer - to balance the miserably cold winter we just had).
    I heat the boolits with my wife's hair dryer and when they are too hot to touch I start pouring/squirting the wax in. Then in the refrigerator over night - will use the freezer next time.

Will report my next trial.

M

Boolit Master

I'm with JonB on this.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Where did you get the recipe for this ?
    Ive seen this exact recipe posted in a bunch of places here as Barry Darr's lube, whoever he is. I made some once and I discovered the exact same thing as the OP. Some added Ivory, beeswax and maybe some Carnauba makes a real improvement of the handling qualities.

In warm weather it leaves handguns greasy and often gave me purge flyers in rifle. It does do a great job preventing leading but the storage and handling qualities leave a lot to be desired. If two bullets touch each other you can be sure one will pull the lube out of the other one's grooves.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Banned

definitely add at least some bees-wax..
    it will firm up your lube and allow it to hold in the lube grooves, I'd also recommend a cake/cookie cutter.
    whatever they are called you push them down over the boolit in the lube to extract the boolit and squish the lube into place.
    the cyberguy sells them in the S&S section.

Boolit Grand Master
    Excellent advice ! !

As to the OP, I've never been a big fan of high %'s of paraffin in anyone's bullet lube.

Beeswax for the past 75 years has proven itself as an excellent " base component " for cast bullet lubes. What is added to the Beeswax from that point offers an almost endless list of possible lube recipes.

The paraffin based lube may work well with 148 gr. W/C's at 720 fps. in a 38 Spec., but for more extreme applications, there would seem to be far better lube recipes.

Just my thoughts, others may see this differently.

Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 08-08-2014 at 01:07 PM.

Boolit Master
    357 Maximum's 666+1 lube (the old pre-Alox NRA formula) is 33% paraffin and I think it's a pretty strong performer. I have also experimented with a paraffin and white lithium grease mix but the jury is still out on it. It started life as a 50/50 mix but the current experimental blend is about 75% wax to give it more body and to be less gooey.

I also tried to make a high temp lube with paraffin, ATF and a full bar of Ivory soap. What I made was a scary plastic goo that smelled up the garage for weeks. I managed to pour some of it into stick molds before it congealed somewhere around 400° but I just can't ever see myself ever putting the hardened crumbly mess in my sizer.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Buddy
    Found beeswax and will shave up some Ivory soap today. And, I'll craft a cookie cutter from a shell case, or something similar.

Thanks for the advise.

M

PS:
    We're having some "civil unrest" here in St. Louis - so my test of the new lube may have to be postponed a few days. Keeping a 12 gauge near the TV till this blows over. Last night the police had a stand-off with hundreds of people - angry that an officer killed a teen as the kid tried to take the officers sidearm. The looting and burning may happen again tonight if it doesn't rain...let's hope it rains. (Amazing how the "witness" stories vary - the Medical Examiner found two bullet wounds, but the locals say they shot 15 or 16 times - while he had his hands in the air...cops musta been really bad shots, or witnesses had really bad memories.)
    Last edited by snaketail; 08-11-2014 at 09:50 AM.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    In my pan lubing I have found that adding some LLA right out of the bottle while the lube is still liquid helps it to firm up nicely. Also, when I pop the boolits out of the cake the lube is more apt to stay in the grooves.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

I'm with Ben on this, paraffin has never been a good choice. Bees wax or micro crystal waxes are a better base.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Buddy
    What is LLA?

Boolit Master

NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Buddy
    Got some Alox - was afraid it stood for Lower Los Angeles, lot of greasers there too.

Sans the crayons and that's what I use for my Creedmoor Ribgy muzzle loader. It's Darr's lube and great for black powder but I've found it isn't so good for smokeless. I can watch TV and hand lube bullets. Keeps my hands nice and soft . Keeps the BP fouling nice and soft too. I haven't noticed much difference in the consistency of the lube in weather. Virginia can have some interesting extremes in weather too. I've shot competitions in below zero to over 100 temperatures. If I can stop shivering when it's cold the accuracy is consistent too. (I grew up on an island in the Western Pacific, so anything under 68°F isn't appreciated).