RepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load DataWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112

Thread: Craziest thing you have witnessed on the range.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Fellows, go back to post 9 and reread the post that started all this. The perp was causing ricochets, but it does not imply or say he was not shooting down range, nor does it claim he was any of the following.

"does not stop him from being insane or a criminal or wanting to commit suicide by cop." Your words.

Granted what he was doing was unsafe AT THIS RANGE, but if we are to beat on everyone who does unsafe acts, what have we allowed this country to become?

Heck I sit on my front porch and watch the bikers on their trail run thru the stop sign with no concern about cross traffic, mayhap I need to go there and beat on a few bikers to attempt to correct the dangerous situation. Bet that will work out well.

Oh Ya, there have been at least one or two bikers killed here for failing to stop for auto/truck traffic.
    Last edited by jcwit; 08-05-2014 at 10:34 AM.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Master

Back to the thread at hand.

Crazist thing I have ever witnessed?

A number of years ago in the fall the farmer was harvesting his bean field behind out hill/backstop. Some members, 3 or 4, were set up shooting, to be "SAFE?????????????" one had sent his young boy, under teen years, to the top of the hill/backstop. When the farmer brought his combine in line to being behind the backstop, the kid would wave his arms and yell, when the combine cleared the kid would again call the hill clear. The kid stayed in full view at all times.

I said to them what they were doing was against range safety rules and totally unsafe, I was informed to mind my own business. I took their plate numbers down and turned them in to the club officers, never saw them again.

Not sure if my 60 year old, disabled body should have beat of the shooters or the boy without enough brains to not be downrange.

Boolit Master

Many people are sued, not all win, anybody can sue for anything.
    I said the use of force would be justified, there many levels of force, from strong verbal commands to deadly force.
    An armed unstable person can go from compliant to deadly threat in the blink of an eye.
    You are putting words in my mouth, that could be considered defamation.
    Twenty years of my LE experience is in firearms training.

delta, I've already gotten a warning claiming I was baiting you.

I'll say this yet, hoping the mods understand.

From post #9
    When I was about 18 I use to go to a small indoor range near my house. Let's just say this place would not pass today's safety requirements. Because of ricochet problems, they only allowed cast boolits and sold only wadcutters to shoot. It was just me and the guy in the next lane, who happened to be a paraplegic in his wheelchair. Suddenly, this guy pulls out his 357 and I don't know what he was shooting but they were ricocheting all over the place. I dove on the floor and he cracked up laughing.
    From the next post #10
    He would of been a paraplegic with a busted jaw or black eye.
    My post disputing that#12
    You are joking, right?

That kind of action would really been great when it hit the media.

What gives people the idea they have the right to beat of others.
    Now then nowhere in post #9 does it say the gentleman in the wheelchair was NOT shooting down range. Just states the poster does not know WHAT he was shooting and that they were ricocheting all over.

Dangerous? Probably, but then I was not there.

Would I have yelled at him? Highly Likely.

Would I have punched him to break his jaw or give him a black eye? Highly Unlikely

There in lies our differences of opinion.

Now again had he been shooting at me or obviously not shooting down range, it's again a whole different ball game.

Boolit Master

I did not say I would have used physical force unless he provoked it, that could be as simple as grabbing the gun from his hand, you escalated it in your words, not mine.
    I gave you the definition of the use of force, you continue to twist it.
    Just because someone is in a wheelchair does not mean that they can not stand and walk,
    Intentionally causing a richochet in an indoor range is like playing Russian Roullette, no one knows where the bullet will land.
    I will agree to disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by deltaenterprizes View Post
    I did not say I would have used physical force unless he provoked it, that could be as simple as grabbing the gun from his hand, you escalated it in your words, not mine.
    I gave you the definition of the use of force, you continue to twist it.
    Just because someone is in a wheelchair does not mean that they can not stand and walk,
    Intentionally causing a richochet in an indoor range is like playing Russian Roullette, no one knows where the bullet will land.
    I will agree to disagree.
    I'll say that is more than likely best for the both of us.

My real problem was with post #10, and it seemed as if you agreed with it.

Lets both just move along.

Boolit Master

Your interpretation was wrong, I agreed something needed to be done to stop the action, again the perp's actions determine the level of force used, that is how I was taught, that is how I operate.

Whatever!

Seen a guy acting a nut and talking pure plain suicide. Put his last two rounds in the ground right in front of him. Slide locked open and I proceeded to physically relieve him of his weapon. He was not happy but at the time I did not care. After that I proceeded to verbally reprimand him for a good minute. Handed the gun after I ejected the empty mag to his frightened sober buddy. I left immediately. Only the three of us were there.
    just puttin' along

Banned

you two need a time out???
    dammit your, stop.

Lol!!!!!!
    just puttin' along

Ok...........
    just puttin' along

Boolit Buddy
    I've seen it the other way. There is an old guy at the club that will occasionally show up with no guns and insist everyone is overshooting the berms. Even explaining that we were not because you could see the impact with the berms and that we were both engineers (at the time) and understand Brewster angle.. didn't seem to help. I think he might be one of the "shotgun" guys who probably didn't like the fact the club expanded with a rifle range and a pistol range.. like 20 years ago...

This guy is scary because that is exactly what got a public range nearby severely restricted. No actual proof of overshot berms, but one guy kept harassing the county which then basically made the range a pay range and limited access and types of equipment that can be used. I suspect if it weren't for the fact the police train there I think it would be completely gone...

Luckily any other time I've seen something questionable it was a teachable moment and the exchange was civil and positive.. private clubs are great.. I'd just leave a public range...seriously, it's not worth the risk to confront someone there.

Mine wasn't a stranger. It was some body I've known for 30+
    just puttin' along

Boolit Master

We have good ole electricity at our main Range now. Toggle switches near all shooters for the flashing red lights. Lights on during a cease fire, NO ONE touches, handles, moves even a cased firearm.
    When not on all gun handling is on the firing line. No gun shows in the parking lot here.
    The sound of an action being cycled behind you tends to tighten the ole spincter !

And I always go by every gun on the line before I walk downrange in front of 'em.

Nice place.
    just puttin' along

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by shooterg View Post
    We have good ole electricity at our main Range now. Toggle switches near all shooters for the flashing red lights. Lights on during a cease fire, NO ONE touches, handles, moves even a cased firearm.
    When not on all gun handling is on the firing line. No gun shows in the parking lot here.
    The sound of an action being cycled behind you tends to tighten the ole spincter !

And I always go by every gun on the line before I walk downrange in front of 'em.
    We have a system like that on the range back home, works well