RepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
Titan Reloading

Thread: 155 gr Lew swc .45, is 103 grs, cast of "non-lead" solder

Boolit Man

155 gr Lew swc .45, is 103 grs, cast of "non-lead" solder

if u hp and hollowbase it in the lathe, it weighs 80 grs and can be driven over 2000 fps, quite easily.

You can also use a propane torch to melt the lead core out of a jhp, replace the lead with epoxy and get a 60 gr .45 bullet. You wlll be shocked at how much Bullseye is necessary to make the slide even cycle normally with these "glue" bullets. 8+ grs, guys. but it's very easy/safe to get them over 2000 fps. so if you'd like to prove to yourself that the .45 (fully supported barrel at the feed ramp) and R-P commerical brass) can safely achieve such speeds, it's not hard to do.

when I work up loads, I fire the gun without a mag, adding 1/2 gr of powder per try, firing the gun remotely (ie, a string on the trigger and the gun tied to a spare tire, tree, etc. ) and micrometer measure the case at the web, after each shot. Compare it to cases fired from the same gun, using R-P plus P 185 gr jhps. the lack of a mag gives the gases a safe place to escape if a case does burst, you see.

what you will discover is that such lw bullets move so easily that very little chamber pressure is developed.

Boolit Man
    if I see no velocity increases with increases in powder, I back down to the load that last showed an increase, and go 1/2 gr less, for safety. do not work up a max/safe load in cold weather, slowfire, and then "think" that it's still safe in hot weather, from a hot, rapidfired gun.

Boolit Man
    if I see no velocity increases with increases in powder, I back down to the load that last showed an increase, and go 1/2 gr less, for safety. do not work up a max/safe load in cold weather, slowfire, and then "think" that it's still safe in hot weather, from a hot, rapidfired gun. Should read a "lee" mold and cast bullet, I can't correct a title line, apparently.

So, what is that "flying washer" supposed to do? Does the term "surface wound" bring anything to mind?
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Master
    I think he's looking for short-range use only... the light weight, large diameter bullet will quickly slow down. I doubt these things would travel 100 yards launched like artillery. But at "conversational distance" they would be nasty. Also, very low probability of one of these going through stuff... Very interesting idea.

bannor, I'd recommend useing the JHPs melted out, then tumble them to clean them nicely, run through a sizing die to make sure they're round, then fill with epoxy.