MCD ProductsReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision

Thread: Noe 312440

Boolit Grand Master

Noe 312440

Just got this one a few days ago from AL at NOE. ( Test targets are in post # 4 below )

I plan to shoot some plain base cast bullets from this mold tomorrow out of my Ruger # 1, 30-06 .

Bands mike .312" with ACWW's , the nose is running .3015".

Those numbers are perfect for my applications.

Ben

Last edited by Ben; 07-29-2014 at 10:23 PM.

Don't hold out on us Ben, make sure you show us some loaded and some of those tiny groups you'll no doubt shoot too!

Thumbs up

No reason why that CB won't shoot tiny groups, Ben.

Boolit Grand Master
    I loaded 20 rounds with the 440' and headed to the range. The loads were for my Ruger # 1, 30-06. All shooting done at 50 yards. Scope was a 1 X - 4 X variable. Scope was set at 4X. All loads were with the plain base NOE 311440, lubed with Ben's Red.

At this point in time ( with only 20 rds. fired with a single load ) , it is still very early to draw very many conclusions with this particular cast bullet.

Ben

The ID label on the targer below says 5 rounds, but I think it is more like 7 or 8 ?

Last edited by Ben; 07-29-2014 at 04:25 PM.

Boolit Master
    Good show, Ben.

Looks like I'll have to start saving up for that mould, after all.

Boolit Grand Master

Hope Al made more than one.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master
    It is still early for me to draw very many conclusions on what this 440' can and can't do.

More work and more range time will help me understand what it can do. Keep in mind that the 2 cav. mold also throws a g/c version of the bullet, that will be interesting also.

However one thing is for certain, this plain base 440' would be a good bullet at 1,100 fps to transition a young person from rim-fire to center-fire. Low muzzle blast, low recoil, very accurate.

I have a 10", T/C Contender in 30/30 that will end up with some of these.

At today's .22 RF prices, I'm not too sure you can't load these and shoot them for training purposes cheaper than buying .22's right now.

148 grs., plain base ( no g/c to make or buy ) , 8.3 grs. of powder, ---------that is some pretty cheap shooting.

Last edited by Ben; 07-29-2014 at 10:22 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    I just went over to NOE's website.

On page 6 of the .30 cal. molds, he has some 440's in stock and ready to ship.

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.p...sort=2a&page=6

Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 07-29-2014 at 10:28 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Stop it, Ben! I'm going to bed now.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Buddy
    NOE does good work

Boolit Grand Master
    I bought that mold in brass from a group buy about two years back--It is great in the 30-30. I load mine with gas check at much higher velocities and charges than Ben is using, but I still get good groups that will easily anchor any deer that I can lay my sights on. 34 grains of 748 gets me 2-3" groups at 75 yards using a Williams receiver sight with the factory front bead. 8 grains of Herco is much milder and still groups very well at 50 yards.
    Oh, and the NOE molds are second to none in quality.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

Interesting design. Have you tried it in a magazine-fed rifle? I wonder how that big blunt nose would feed in a bolt gun or semi-auto.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Grand Master
    I shot the bullet in a Ruger # 1 today.
    So at this point in time, I cannot answer your question.

Ben

Boolit Master
    Fishman,
    I bought some of the original Lyman 311440 design from a forum member, to try in a pre-64 Winchester Model 94. With the exception of some that had noses that were too fat to chamber, they fed and chambered no different than the Ideal 308291 (Lyman 311291).

A dummy round feeds and chambers in the '03-A3, but that's as far as I've gotten with that project.

Boolit Master
    I purchased a 312440 Mihec about a year ago or so from a member on here. It's a grand shooter in the .30-30 and very visually distinctive!

Boolit Grand Master
    Hey, Ben ----------- I can draw a conclusion for ya. You're makin' one ragged holes again. Outstanding!! I got that boolit from a GB here some time ago. It's a beauty. Love mine. Keep up the great work.

Boolit Buddy
    Regarding magazine fed- I shoot it in ak47 lol.
    Next up will be the mosin, but haven't gotten to it yet.

If I can get this bullet in 250 grains I think that would be a sight.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
    Interesting design. Have you tried it in a magazine-fed rifle? I wonder how that big blunt nose would feed in a bolt gun or semi-auto.
    Works great in my 1953 Winchester 94, haven't tried it in my other 30-30's. Works well in my 1895 30-40, too, in limited testing.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.