Load DataSnyders JerkyInline FabricationWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Lee Precision
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ruger Blackhawk 45 Colt, 45 ACP convertible owners please sound off

Boolit Grand Master

My 4 5/8 RBH in 45 Colt likes a 200gr H&G clone boolit just fine in a 45 Colt Cylinder and 45 Colt brass. Hadn't really given a convertible a serious thought, sounds like something S&W should have tried with the 25. Interesting.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Any idea which handloader?
    I thought I had read another write up about it w/a little more detail but this is 1 write up I've found. #264...Feb. 2010

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boolit Buddy
    I just bought the Lipsey blued version with the flattop frame with 4 5/8" barrel.
    I think it is the original Ruger grip pattern, the one that they first made.
    The cylinder throats are all .451, I think that i can live with that.
    By the way did I mention the ivory colored grips look really cool.
    Now I have to get some bullets cast so that I can shoot it more.

Boolit Master

Mine is not different from most others commenting here. You will have to have the cylinder mouths reamed for consistent shooting. I ruffled some feathers at the last NRA Convention held here in Phoenix at the Ruger booth. Of my 12 cylinder mouths I don't recall any two being the same all being under sized. One of the Ruger reps told me all Ruger would do for me is to test fire it with over the counter commercial jacketed ammo. If it met their specs it would simply be returned to me. Another more understanding and very polite Ruger rep got into the conversation. He told me he knew exactly how I felt as he claimed to be a former "lead slinger" but claimed Ruger's production is geared toward shooting commercial jacketed ammo and he didn't see any changes in the future.

After having both cylinders reamed it was like a night vs day improvement in my shot groups shooting home cast lead. In all honesty I did not see any significant improvement with jacketed ammo after having the cylinder reamed.

Vendor Sponsor

mulespurs, if you are shooting cast through those factory cylinder throats, they need to be .4525" if you are wanting to size .452" which most do. Yes it will shoot with tight cylinder throats but the accuracy will be much better with boolits .001" - .002" over bore diameter, and cylinder throats .0005" - .001" over boolit diameter. Also leading the barrel is pretty much the norm with undersize throats. When you get to casting, if you can't push the boolit through the front of the cylinder with finger pressure, then yes they need to be reamed.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    I am listening and will consider what you said. What do you charge for one or two cylinders.
    how is the best way to ship?
    Do you throat 1911 cylinders as well?

Vendor Sponsor

PM sent..
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

I have the Stainless in 4 5/8" barrel config. Love the gun. I run mostly 45acp through it. Loads of fun.

Take care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Buddy
    I don't see me ever parting with mine. New grips and hammer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	112162
    No law ever stopped a criminal. If you disagree then you need to look up the word "criminal".

How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. Now how do you lose your rights? Do you see where I'm coming from . . .

Boolit Master

I love mine, but I'll have to admit - I wish Ruger would doll them up a bit. I have caught myself looking at the work done by Hamilton Bowen, and drooling.

If I could swap in a 6.25" stainless barrel from a 625 S&W, or a rebored 629 barrel, as Bowen shows on his website, I'd like it even more.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornbread View Post
    Thanks again guys. The wife and I are really enjoying the pictures as well. I talked it over with the wife and she seems keen to get one. Her dad and her had discussed it as well previously she said and she has been interested in them ever since.
    Careful of starting to pick up .45's
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."