WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackboxReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: Need some advice on molds

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

Need some advice on molds

I知 looking for advice on buying a set of molds for my 38 Spl. I壇 like to cast a 150 or 158 gr SWC. What brand would be best without breaking the bank? Does Lyman molds do well?
    I値l be sizing my Boolits too. I知 just starting to buy my casting equipment and I thought that I would start with a set of molds.

Lyman makes a very good mould.
    Pretty well all moulds work well some have little quirks to them. Once in a while you get a bad mould that is out of round or not aligned but that is rare.
    Ken.
    Ken.

Be nice if it was better, but it could be worse

Boolit Buddy

I have a 4c Lyman .358wc that works fine for me. All my other molds are Lee's which have also worked out well. The lower cost of Lee molds helped me get started and to have money left for other pieces of equipment.

In Remebrance

Lees work fine. Just get them clean, read the "Leementing" articles and get your alloy HOT. No problems for me.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a Lee SWC in 148g that shoots very good and I also have a Lee 105g that shots real well with light loads. I bought it for plinking but it shoots very good. Also works well in the 9mm!
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Grand Master

I have a Lee 148g SWC that shoots very good and a 105g SWC that I got for plinking but shoots very well also and is a good shooter in the 9mm as well!
    Aim small, miss small!

I've read that Lee Moulds sometimes cast undersized boolits. If Lee would work for me without problems then for the price Lee would be the ticket. I'm not on a budget so to speak and can afford better (or more expensive) Moulds if they will preform better.
    It seems that everyone that has replied so far are using Lee moulds without problem.

On Edit: I'll be using WW for my Boolits.

Boolit Buddy
    I've got Lee, Lyman, RCBS, and Saeco moulds.

Although many would rate Saeco at the top in mould quality, I would rate Saeco and RCBS in a tie...my preference actually with RCBS as I prefer their spue plate attacment point. 2 Saecos and 3 RCBs...all perfect out of the box and that appears to be the experience of most.

Next I would rate Lyman...seven of them including the initial one that got me into casting back in the 60s. All perfect out of the box. However, others have reported rare problems with them and the warranty isn't as good in general as Saeco and RCBS.

Over a dozen Lees. The perfect mould here has been the exception...especially when it comes to bullet release, but everyone was turned into a good mould with a Lee-Ment. Once done, bullets are of equal quality to the other moulds. I Lee-Ment each Lee I get and consider the time spent well invested to avoid potential frustration. I like their price and light weight. I haven't had an actual undersize mould but most are minimal size...ie if it is a .358 mould, I expect a .358 mould not something a thousand or two bigger such as the other manufacturers usually provide. I've had to lap out a number of Lees for that reason.

Cost? Saeco the most expensive followed by RCBS and then Lyman. Keep the cost of handles in mind here also. Lee is way down the list and are actually relatively inexpensive.

Budget not a problem? Lyman should work well for you from the start...but put RCBS and Saeco on that list also.

Boolit Master At Heavens Range 2009 chunkum's Avatar

Nei

http://www.neihandtools.com/

Take a look at this source if you have time. They have the cherries made up and quite a variety of good designs. I've always gotten my moulds well within the two weeks projected. I like to use the phone to order because they have so many options.
    Best Regards,
    Chunkum
    Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and it irritates the pig.

Boolit Buddy
    If your starting out I would say lee mold midsouth has them 17.37 for double cavity 34.76 for a 6 banger but no handles on 6 banger they are 12.67 the 2 cavity comes with handles
    lyman molds are44.63 and handles are 26.94. Lee ARE ALUMINUM AND LYMAN ARE STEEL.

Ok, you all have talked me into trying the Lee Moulds. I'll start out with three of their six bangers since they are so much cheaper.

Boolit Grand Master

The 6x are good moulds but can be a little tempermental until you get used to casting!
    Aim small, miss small!

Mould

I would go with the RCBS SWC Keith Type....
    An Excellant Bullet.
    TxGunfighter

Mould

I would go with the RCBS SWC Keith Type....
    An Excellant Bullet.
    TxGunfighter