Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Lee Precision

Thread: Colorado Over the Counter Whitetail

Boolit Buddy

Colorado Over the Counter Whitetail

Well I didn’t draw this year, but the good news is this year Colorado finally implemented an Over the Counter deer license.

I am pretty sure I will be picking one of these up this year. I can get two! If I fill the first I might just get a second.

Banned

That is great. Stupid draw stuff doesn't make sense at all.
    Here in WV after 65 we do not need to buy a license at all and hunting your own property needs no extra tags or license anyway. Just check deer in.
    Go for it.

Boolit Buddy
    I have to admit how much I like Ohio law that says if you are hunting on YOUR land you do not need tags or a license. You must be the owner or the owners parents or children.

Edit - you still have to take hunter safety
    Father, fool, friend.

Boolit Master
    In Michigan, you could hunt small game in your own property without a license. Now they changed the regs, and now every one has to buy a "basic" license (which includes small game) before you can buy other hunting licenses. Basically, they are forcing everyone to buy a small game license, just calling it something else. Deer tags went up in price, too, from $15 to $20.

Boolit Buddy

I was just going to pop in on this and say "no such thing as an over the counter deer tag in CO" but read your full post and now I have to do some research! I drew a black powder deer tag for an area I didn't want as first choice (my screw-up) and burned 6 preference points doing so. I have to call and see if I can turn this tag in and get my points back...

Quote Originally Posted by gkainz View Post
    ....... I have to call and see if I can turn this tag in and get my points back...
    Good luck with that. Never heard of it being done, but still worth a try.
    R.M.

The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Buddy
    I think it can be done, BUT you need to do it soon.

I didnt draw my tag of choice, funny thing is, these new tags are in my area of choice. Just more limited because of the White Tail only sitpulation. Would be nice if it was muel and white tail.

This gives me hope for future over the counter tags for either species.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by gkainz View Post
    I was just going to pop in on this and say "no such thing as an over the counter deer tag in CO" but read your full post and now I have to do some research! I drew a black powder deer tag for an area I didn't want as first choice (my screw-up) and burned 6 preference points doing so. I have to call and see if I can turn this tag in and get my points back...
    http://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/Sho...pplication.pdf

Thats the form you need. Has to be done before opening day and you can either get your money back or the points, not both.

Banned

Hurts me to hear what some of you need to go though. My friend bought a lifetime license in WV long ago and even though he lives out of state, he can still hunt here.

Boolit Mold
    Your lucky in Ontario Canada we are paying $48 for a deer tag

Boolit Grand Master

I guess I'm spoiled in PA. Your basic hunting license is good for small game, one buck, one spring and one fall turkey. You have to pay extra for archery, muzzleloader, bear, fur taker, extra spring gobbler an migratory bird. I might be missing a few in there. I think I paid around $70 for everything except fur taker, muzzle loader and extra turkey tag. We don't have a draw per say for doe tags. Each WMU is allotted so many tags. You send your check and application in on a certain date. There is a second round for submittals a few weeks later. Doe tags are $6.70 each. I live in one of the few WMU's where you can buy them over the counter. And they're pretty much unlimited. They allotted close to 100,000 tags which is down 20,000 this year. They never sell the allotment and we never kill enough deer to knock the herds down.

Boolit Grand Master

There is in my opinion, to much variation in state to state laws, and the majority of it is based on lack of common sense on the part of regulators, and a money trail!
    Just like politics, this is a case of (in most cases), follow the dollar!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying