Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: New Ballisti-Cast Mold: First Impression

Boolit Master

New Ballisti-Cast Mold: First Impression

I finally received my Ballisti-Cast 4-cavity mold (#668) for 200-gr SWC, plain-base bullets. Basically, it's a clone of the H&G 68.

Before going into picky details, I'll give away the punch line. The mold casts very good bullets if I do my part.

These are my first impressions:

- The cavities do not appear to be quite as polished as those of my H&G 68 bevel-base mold. Since the B-C mold casts good bullets, a high polish obviously isn't necessary.

- I did have to do a small amount of grinding on my H&G handles so the B-C blocks would fit. I don't view this as a problem.

- The mold is marked .456 and, sure enough, the bullets measure at .4559-.456.

- I measured a couple to see if they were out-of-round. The ones I checked were between .0005 and .001 out-of-round. I consider this to be very good, and certainly better than what my old H&G throws.

- The mold did cast the bullets at 185 grains with my current version of Lyman #2. I simply added some more wheel weight ingots to the mix.

- Unless I squeeze the handles very hard when pouring (a little rough on the ol' arthritis), there will be some flashing/feathering at the seam. I don't see this as a deal-breaker, and it may have something to do with how the handles fit. (If that's the case, I'll have to examine them carefully to see if there's anything I can do.)

Summary: A few very minor nits, but I'd say my Ballisti-Cast mold is doing a fine job.

Cheers,
    Richard
    Isn't a 9mm just a .45 set on stun? -- Amy W.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred."
    -- Niccolo Machiavelli

USPSA A32025
    NRA Life

Boolit Master
    Nice to read a report on B/C new moulds. Please post about the flash problem if you find an answer to it..
    The problem in America today is, there are to many fools making to many rules that don't apply to themselves. Now just wait until the new pres. takes office and see what happens!!!!!