WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Repackbox

Thread: Breaking in a new barrel

Boolit Buddy

Breaking in a new barrel

FINALLY! after 2 years, one of my distributors got in a 4" Ruger Redhawk. Since im a dealer, I wasnt going to pay retail somewhere else. Im too cheap for that.

Its replacing my 4" S&W 629. Out of all my guns I cast for, I never could get it not to lead. I took some lapping compound to it, and it had some high spots where the threads were. I eventually gave up casting for it. Actually, Ive been so busy with the business, I havent cast any bullets in almost 2 years.

So the 629 is out and this is in

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140711_121105_zpsfa098c07.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	52.8 KB 
ID:	110478

So what would be the best way to break in the barrel. I have some nosler jacked bullets. Should I run a hundred through the barrel first before I start running lead through it?

Banned

wouldn't hurt, but then you'd have to clean the copper out.
    I take a new gun down and shoot it.
    then wipe it down with a little oil.
    then take it down and shoot it again.
    this is the time I look to see if I have accuracy issues or any leading or whatever.
    if I have something the second go-round I then look for the problem.
    unless I got ribbons of lead hanging out the barrel in 10 shots or something.

Boolit Grand Master

I think I'd start with a good cleaning. Yes, even a new gun. Slug the bore, measure the throats, get a feel for the gun. It was likely test-fired with j-words so it needs cleaning. I've never heard of a break-in process for revolvers, I've bought several new and haven't done anything special to help them wear in. I disagree with the sometimes revered break-in process for rifles but don't feel it applies to your new revolver anyway. I'd be more concerned with cylinder throats, timing, cylinder-to-forcing cone gap, grip configuration, bore condition and trigger pull than a break-in process. After a few thousand rounds you'll suddenly realize it has broken in to become a very nice revolver and is no longer the new kid in the safe.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    wouldn't hurt, but then you'd have to clean the copper out.
    I take a new gun down and shoot it.
    then wipe it down with a little oil.
    then take it down and shoot it again.
    this is the time I look to see if I have accuracy issues or any leading or whatever.
    if I have something the second go-round I then look for the problem.
    unless I got ribbons of lead hanging out the barrel in 10 shots or something.
    I think all I have to clean the bore is butches bore shine. You think run a cylinder, bore shine then oil the barrel, then repeat the process?

Since all I have available is the jacketed bullets, I will have to use those. I have a lyman keith mold. But I really over sized that sucker trying to get it to quit leading the barrel in the 629. It was so over sized that all the edges were no longer sharp. I think i will have to start over with all my 44 casting equipment. I think I even oversized my sizing dies. I had some custom made that are .434 and .435 Do you think anyone have use for those?

Boolit Master
    I use JB or USP bore paste on my new or new to me revolvers. I clean the inside of the chambers and the forcing cone as well as the length of the bore with these.

I also use CorrosionX. This stuff works like seasoning a cast iron frying pan. Mighty good stuff!

As the leading is reduced in subsequent cleanings, I eliminate the bore paste but continue the CorrosionX.

You can't overuse CorrosionX ........ but some curse the bore pastes ...... but I don't!

Three 44s

Banned

I don't think you could chamber a 434 boolit in the ruger.
    but a lee fcd would cure that issue,,,, just kidding don't do that..
    .430 [maybe 431 and I doubt it] will be more in line for your revolver.

I'm not a spaz about "cleaning" a gun.
    I keep them cleanish, in working order, oiled slightly, and can rely on them to work every time.
    I don't get carried away scrubbing and tearing them down and such.

one area I would look at for sure [after test firing] is chamber length and the transition from the chamber into the throat of the cylinder.

Boolit Grand Master
    From what I hear "not a spaz" doesn't quite do it justice.......

I like to give a new revolver a quick cleaning then go shoot. No break in period or special voodoo, I want to shoot the damn thing, not play with it.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Banned

I ain't a big barrel break in guy on rifles with copper either.
    I shoot it a few times and I just don't get the barrel hot.
    i'll clean the barrel when it needs it, or every 250 rounds whichever comes first, if I remember.

I have some cast shooter rifles I bought new and just started flinging lead down the barrel.
    I haven't cleaned some of those barrels in over 15 years.
    never seen the need.
    what's in there? a protective coating of lube,,,, maybe some antimony.