Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRepackboxSnyders JerkyWideners
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Clarification please. Castboolits........

Boolit Grand Master

Personally I believe the Pit is why the rest of the forum is as civil as it is. Most of the disturbing or annoying posts are limited to the Pit were they can be easily ignored if you so desire. Some of the other sites don't have anything like the Pit and the hate and discontent runs rampant throughout the forum.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Catshooter View Post
    So this is how I find out that my bid for the site of a whole pile of live chickens is rejected? Oh man. The humanity.

Well congratulations No. 1. This is the best site for learning about casting. Number two is way down the ladder. Thanks Ken for keeping it this way.

Cat
    so I guess my bid of 74 jars of fire ants was also rejected.. The inhumanity of it all

Will have to release them in a county commissioners lawn now
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post

If some post rubs you the wrong way remember you get no voice inflection, no body language, no visual input at all as to it's intent. Give the poster the benefit of the doubt, and if you're posting a reply remember it works both ways. Make the effort to be courteous and cut the person a bit of slack. In all respects, be the bigger person as there is no prize given for putting someone else down, and your actions and attitude may just cause you to be the looser in the end.

..............Buckshot
    Words to live by !
    Thank you Rick.

Jerry
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

Perma-Banned

Buckshot, thank you so much for the history lesson.
    Jmortimer, excellent point and post.
    Tar-heel, guess you won't be seeing this.
    Yes, I am somewhat of a newbie, and yes, this site is about "casting boolits", and yes, I have learned a great deal from here. Hopefully I have made some contributions of my own that members found useful. This site Rocks!
    As far as the Pit goes, would you rather discuss/debate an issue with someone you have knowledge of, or would you just like to jump into someone's face whom you do not know? You do NOT have to view the Pit, or Our Town, or any other topic that you are not concerned about or interested in. So why complain? Casting Boolits IS the primary thrust of this forum, so why do we allow the discussion of J-words? I would much rather give my 2 cents on an issue with people that I know, than in the midst of a group of strangers.
    I guess my whole point to this is, the forum is what the Members and Mods make of it. I have been slammed a couple of times, but do not pursue the issue, as that is either their opinion or they misunderstood my post. We need to FOCUS on the sharing of knowledge, in any category, rather than finding fault and no redeeming qualities to anyone's statements. My personal peeve is people who do not vote, for whatever reason. I'm sure that all members have their own personal peeves. but as far as the forum goes, the sharing of knowledge is what it is all about. Nuff said. The majority of other posters have made comments that contribute to the to the body of information available here.

Semper Fi!

OB

[FONT=times new roman][SIZE=3]Je suis Charlie

Safeguard our way of life...Defend the Constitution against ALL Enemies, Foreign and Domestic!!!

Boolit Master
    I joined to read and learn more about casting bullets. Along the way I have purchased some equipment, automated a Master Caster I purchased second hand. This a good place to learn a I have got a lot of help from them members. I like this place.

i even got into powder coating cast bullets. I hope to live long enough to help others.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmortimer View Post
    Never understood how a member could be unable to avoid threads, posts, forums, and other members that somehow disturb or annoy. It is nice that a moderator is willing to block unwanted content for those who are in need of such attention. Fortunately, I was gifted by my Maker with the ability to ignore/avoid threads/posts/members on as need basis. As for The Pit, it is so popular for a reason, firearms, and most everything in life have been politicized. Again, I will never understand how a member could simply not go there, and ignore it entirely, and then feel compelled to cry and whine about its existence.
    I don't drink. There's a retail wine outlet just down the road from me. I have managed to drive past it almost every day for years now without going inside and looking at the wine bottles.

i didn't ask the county government to put up a wall so I can't see it as I drive by.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Several weeks ago I noticed a post that he was overwelmed with emails and he was going to take a vacation. Before that I notyiced that #1 was working on getting the sight up and running with a new server supplier. Nothing has changed as far as I can tell. I think the change in CEO has went very well. He has not tried to hide anything from us as to the problems he was haveing getting the new system back to normal. Some here even thank him for his effert. What him and 45 have as bussiness transaction is not my bussiness.
    I do have one question for the people here----Wilco ask about the change in ownership, a simple question, but all of a sudden we are back to the pit! Why do we always start off with a thread and all of a sudden we are in to the pit again??? Wilco you ask a simple question and got a lot of off thread chat, not your fault it seem to just happen. Some of the members have a chat sight that is quite private and that is up to them not me to go there. If you look at some of the old threads on here you will see disagreements olso, so big deal. Even friends don't always agree.
    Thank you 45 for your time and effort to the sight. Thank you #1 for your quick change in severs and the sight up and running staying on casting and shooting.
    CD
    When you find you are in deep trouble, look straight ahead,keep your mouth shut, and say nothing.

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards

Theodore Roosevelt

In Remembrance
    Jackson County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
    More FYI;

45nut, in his infinite wisdom created the "Pit" so that there was a specific area for members to discuss Political, Religous, and Off Topic things so that they were not culttering up the Our Town forum.
    His doing that relieved the Staff of the burdensome task of watching that forum like a birddog or hawk, your choice, for threads that served no useful purpose in that particular forum.

In fact, the pit requires less moderating than any other forum on this site, despite the number of threads started, and posts made there in 1 days time.

Keep in mind that we are all guests here, act accordingly.
    Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund
    Freud

I understand about the forming of the pit, and I am sure you moderaters are happy for the releif. I do not envy you gentleman and or ladies for your responsiblity to keep an even tempermant on here. I have noticed or a few threads that they were cleaned up, and I have also noticed that there is more talk about casting and loading and shooting of cast again. Things are looking up and more interesting on the threads.
    Thanks guys!!!
    I have about 200 rounds of 40S&W to shoot this week but grandkids arrived so we will shoot BB's and pellits. Just as much fun with them.(ages 4 and 5)
    CD
    When you find you are in deep trouble, look straight ahead,keep your mouth shut, and say nothing.

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards

Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master

I have noticed a slight change in the site the past 6 or so months. But, things seem to be settling down. I come here to learn. Maybe contribute a little to the the newer members, if I can. So many here that know more than me. I hope everyone stays around and continues to help educate me. Thanks to all. mikey

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Catshooter View Post
    So this is how I find out that my bid for the site of a whole pile of live chickens is rejected? Oh man. The humanity.

Well congratulations No. 1. This is the best site for learning about casting. Number two is way down the ladder. Thanks Ken for keeping it this way.

Cat
    haven't I taught you guys anything yet????

live chickens are not legal tender on this site.
    Hornsurgeon's Feedback Thread

a woman's scorn will come and go but a fine rifle will last forever.

Generous Donator

I was on the old shooters site and wandered over here when I realized this was where most had gone. There was an site between shooters and this site. I don't post that much. Old wives tales I love to bust. My favorite is the 311413 (I bad) can't be shot accurately over 1600 FPS. I hit 2200 FPS with 3" groups at 100 yds out of my scoped 49/56. Now in my Bolt action 30-30's I can't go over 1750 fps until it goes crazy. If I don't like a post I ignore it. Thanks to the owner and mods for all they do.
    Last edited by crazy mark; 07-11-2014 at 02:02 AM. Reason: spelling.

Boolit Grand Master

Pit? Pretty sure I could find it if I wanted to. Too many places I'd rather go first and simply don't have time. I'd like to continue my pointless post by once again thanking the mods, past and present. I can't imagine Buckshot posting something that wasn't interesting and helpful, his earlier post was very well written and informative.
    And back to the OP, thanks for starting a thread that cleared up something that needed it. I'm grateful to Robert for picking up the reins and taking on what probably seems to be a tough and thankless job at times.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

I found this site by shear luck.I started reloading when a friend gave me some reloading equipment.At that point,it made sense to me to make my own bullets.Most likely I would have not succeeded without Cast Boolits. Me? I need this forum and all the friend's I have made here.

So we have something new,(ownership).No doubt it will work out for the good.Not knowing the site was being sold,my fault,as I had been busy with retirement and making trips to visit family while I had some extra money.As far as the Pit,I rarely go there,not because I agree or disagree with someone.But,it's like the 6 o'clock news,I just get P.O'd hearing what is happening to our country,and I feel helpless in wanting to do something.Oh,I vote! Same with the chat room,except I plain just can't keep up.

In closing,well...if it bothers you,don't look at it,don't touch it.Someone else may like it.
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Boolit Master

Thanks to the owner and mods for all they do.
    +1 to that.

Concerning the pit; I assume that the issue is the "Politics & Religion" part of the pit, and not the "Humor and Off Topic"? Or is it the whole Pit that is the trouble?

I visit the humor/off topic part of the pit on occasion, and I really can't see why anyone would have an issue with it. Maybe I'm missing something.

Boolit Master

For me, the pit is like an outhouse, I need to take a dump to cleanse my system from time to time.
    And politics is like that outhouse, a lot of dirty messy stuff accumulates there.
    We as concerned citizens & voters need to clean it out every two years.
    I guess that's why some here don't like going to the pit, they don't like the smell and they are not concerned with the cleaning up the mess in the DC outhouse.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Generous Donator

handloads.com was another site. Joined: October 27 2002
    Online Status: Offline
    I was there using a different name.
    Found it still in my favorites. Many posters that were here and some that still are.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    ...............I read the first page of all this stuff and then just went to the last page, scrolled down and will make this post which I hope is understandable. It really does not matter WHO owns the board because the OWNER is not getting paid to own it. Ken laid down his responsibility for it because he's not been a part of it for quite some time due to physical issues. Neither have I for that matter.

I'm really a nobody so far as the board is concerned. Neither are any of the other moderators. Not one of the Mods gets a dime for what they do, and I can tell you I stand in awe for what these guys do, and the amount of time they spend signed in here to do it.

In the early days of the board I worked at a job where I worked from 1800 to 0600 by myself and spent a considerable amount of time here. Mainly I made posts for no other reason then to give other folks something to post TO. I was simply generating BS to increase activity, and thereby increase traffic. Not that I was disinterested in what folks had to say but activity and thereby MEMBERSHIP and posts would increase. All we at the time, just like right now wanted was to create a place where people who were interested in cast lead would find a happy home. Before I was laid off of my job in Dec of 2007 I had 8,000 posts

I think we succeeded quite well. I have no issues with the Cast Bullet Association, and I am a member to this day and get their magazine, but it was only a couple years and we had exceeded their membership by a huge amount. Many of the people here post on their website and are also members, but I do believe that something rather unique was created here. Part of that had to do with the old "Shooters.com" board. Before it disappeared, for quite some time it was closed to new members as the folks who owned it were no longer supporting it. In essence we were simply talking to ourselves.

There is a saying and I heard of it first having to do with churches. We all like to have our comfy little group but it is a simple fact that if you are not growing, you're dying. We were dying at Shooters.com and the best thing they ever did was to simply make the board disappear. We all scattered like a covey of quail but after a bit Ken created a board supported by AIMOO. They went by the wayside as being unresponsive to our growth, and cared less about issues we had, so Ken hooked up with Willy and Cast Boolits became a part of Gunboards.com.

From that point it has become history and is what we all enjoy now. I do kind of feel like a papa but there is no one here who is more important then the newest member that's wanting to know, "All about cast lead". I know that it might be kind of irksome when someone wanting to know something asks the basics, and we have eleventy thousand 'stickies' all over the board that will answer their question. Yet it is kind of hurtfull to me (and maybe others) when I see someone simply say, "Read the stickies", like
    you're a dumb SOB for not doing that on your own.

I'm reminded a bit of the early days of this board when I was more active as a mod that I'd get a complaint from a newer member about how he'd made a post, but after a couple replies everyone would be talking about some old Case tractor their grand dad had! I'd have to explain that it wasn't personal, but that these guys have been together a long time, and have KNOWN each other for years, and that drifting off topic was no big deal and to not take it personal.

It is still that kind of place, and I'm very thankful that it is. However we, ALL OF US have to be mindfull of each other and how our posts come across to each other. Some of you have been moderators here at some time, or on other boards. It is an absolutely THANKLESS job. There is NO ONE here who is paid a freaking penny for spending HOURS fielding PM'S or e-mails. I no longer have a job where I'm paid for 12 hours to do nothing except fool around on the web. People have lamented about where the "Old hands have gone". Things change. Life changes and LIVES change. I no longer spend hours on the board. It sure doesn't mean I don't care about it. Folks have mentioned older members they don't see any more. It's pretty much that interests have changed, life has changed, or people simply don't have the old 'Burn' they once did. It's not that they don't care. I have a 4 year old grand daughter that we have every Sunday. I have a business that consumes a considerable amount of my time making stuff for other people let alone things I'd like to make for myself.

The fact remains that this board continues to grow. You old timers need to pick up the slack and continue to make this place a board we can all be proud of. I for one wish there was no 'Pit'. It is simply a time eater for the moderators here. The amount of JUNK that gets reported into Staff is simply mind boggling, and I take my hat off to the moderators here who deal with that nonsense. You might not like it but if it were up to me I'd do away with it. It serves no real purpose other then to create problems. The board was created to deal with the science and theory of shooting the cast lead slug, and no other reason. Everything else is simply a waste of time so far as I'm concerned.

I'd enjoy the board for what it is, and contribute what you feel is worthwhile. If you have a problem with someone, put them on your 'Ignore list' and keep on keeping on. Remember that the printed word (or what is on your computer screen) is but a sad substitute for talking to someone face to face. If some post rubs you the wrong way remember you get no voice inflection, no body language, no visual input at all as to it's intent. Give the poster the benefit of the doubt, and if you're posting a reply remember it works both ways. Make the effort to be courteous and cut the person a bit of slack. In all respects, be the bigger person as there is no prize given for putting someone else down, and your actions and attitude may just cause you to be the looser in the end.

..............Buckshot
    Couldn't have been said better! As always a gentleman, Ric you should get into politics I know, I didn't have to say that, sorry.
    Charter Member #148

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by fatelk View Post
    +1 to that.

Concerning the pit; I assume that the issue is the "Politics & Religion" part of the pit, and not the "Humor and Off Topic"? Or is it the whole Pit that is the trouble?

I visit the humor/off topic part of the pit on occasion, and I really can't see why anyone would have an issue with it. Maybe I'm missing something.
    Another example of the fine job the moderators do to make sure there is usually nothing offensive there. Humor and off topic often requires almost a full time mod.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze