Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Load DataRepackboxTitan ReloadingWideners
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ITAR & threat to casters

Boolit Mold

ITAR & threat to casters

On 5/19/14 I posted about ATF paying me a call & saying I needed to register with state dept. for because of ITAR. Well I placed half dozen phone calls trying to find out what I needed to do. Finally directed to state dept. webb site and to get In touch with something called DDTC Response Team, (www.pmddtc.state.gov/response_team). Lot of good that did! They didn't know exactly what I was talking about. One person went so far as to say if casting for myself I would still need to register, no selling to anybody else. Finally after all this was told to send e-mail to DDTCResponseTeam@state.gov for better answer. Fat chance, e-mail went undeliveried for two weeks and then postmaster stopped trying. Maybe their computers crashed. HA HA.

Boolit Master

Someone posted a thread a few weeks back that ITAR was not required because they were not selling boolitd out of the country. They had received a letter to that effect from the BATFE or State Department

Well I can't find it. Don't think I dreamed it but the generous consensus is that it is required.
    Last edited by BK7saum; 07-01-2014 at 10:53 PM.

Boolit Master
    And how many people there that cant answer a simple question are drawing a pay check. Talk about welfare!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BK7saum View Post
    Someone posted a thread a few weeks back that ITAR was not required because they were not selling boolitd out of the country. They had received a letter to that effect from the BATFE or State Department
    I missed that post. If anyone can find it I would love to have a reference.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    Go to the DOD site. They state that manufacture of defense articles requires the itar tax weather exporting or not.
    They break down the term defense articles to include ammunition then they break down the term ammunition to include any part of a cartridge, powder, primer, case, and bullet, as all separately being ammunition.
    The only break they gave was for bullets for antique arms did not require itar but did require the manufacturers license if selling.

Boolit Master

That was my understanding, Bullshop. I have read the regulations and they expressly mention cast bullets and that the license is required even if the maker doesn't export. More Government overreach IMO. I don't believe the Department of State can legitimately regulate unless an item is exported. I will bend the ear of my U.S. Representative until, well, I don't intend to stop until cast boolits for domestic consumption are exempted or I meet the Maker.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

If they want me to be concerned with an ITAR tax they are SOL and the only thing i can say about their threat of a tax against my freedom is BFD.

This is why I only trade very small ingots to friends. Not bullets, just very small (200ish grains) ingots.

Boolit Master
    They also state on the site that the penalty for violation is very severe. It is $500,000. and 10 years imprisonment.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop View Post
    They also state on the site that the penalty for violation is very severe. It is $500,000. and 10 years imprisonment.
    They rely on fear because they don't know their *** from a hole in the ground when it comes to enforcement

Boolit Master
    I agree but don't want to be THE ONE they come down on to make an example of.

Boolit Grand Master

Does seem to be either overreach or incompetent folks answering questions. Both scenarios are well within the realm of possibility. I've spent a fair amount of time & money defending myself from frivolous charges, no desire to do that on a regular basis. If I were to sell boolits I'd get an answer I could depend on and proceed within the regulations because they often carry the weight of law.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Mold
    I had a visit from our batf to inspect our class 06 ammo mfg. and yes any part of ammo is coverd by the class 06. They in formed us that we needed a ITAR permit and to pay the lic. cost. We called everyone we could those that did not know about it. We then contacted the NRA and they put us in contact with one of their att. and all he does is ITAR laws, he said to fight it.
    Beanie's Inc.

Boolit Master
    Fight it in what way?

The NRA probably told him to fight it so they can get a test case to take it to the supreme court.Can't fight it in court untill someone is charged with a violation.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop View Post
    I agree but don't want to be THE ONE they come down on to make an example of.
    they are hoping 200,000,000 more think like you

Boolit Master
    I agree.

They want to make it a big headache so you get frustrated, afraid of the possible penalties and stop. Scary boolits and deadly lead ya know.

Boolit Master
    So am I the only one afraid of the possible penalties?

I've worked for many years in the aerospace industry and received annual training on ITAR. I can fully understand our government not wanting my knowledge of rocket engines and launch vehicles getting passed on to unfriendly foreign nations. This is just insane, we're talking about cast bullets here. People have been melting lead over campfires and casting lead bullets for what, about 500 years now. When I was first hired I thought it was a big joke when they told me that common sense and logic was to be left at the gate when entering the base. It didn't take long to realize they weren't joking, and this is a perfect example.
    "We have federal regulations and state laws that prohibit hunting ducks with more than three rounds. And yet it's legal to hunt humans with 15-round, 30-round, even 150-round magazines." Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-California)