WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad DataReloading Everything
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Welding aluminum

Welding aluminum

My dad broke his weight belt mold making ingots for me, so I need another mold. I really like 1-2 lbs ingots for my pot, but I think he would like something with a hole in it. I have a mig welder, but I haven't played with it much in the last few years. When I did, I just used flux cored wire.

I think I need a gas (argon?) and aluminum wire. Does anyone weld aluminum and can point me in the right direction?

My two designs are Several pieces of C chanel side by side and a piece of flat stock to hold them together and cap them off. The other is a large say 2x4" piece of C chanel capped at both ends with an aluminum tube sticking up near one end. Typically I see cast pieces so will welded pieces work and will the pipe cause issues releasing?

Boolit Buddy
    First, you should have a spool gun to weld aluminum, because you can not push aluminum wire very far(too soft). There are electric welding rods available for aluminum that work OK. (Certanium, now Cronatron)

If you pour lead around anything straight such as pipe, you will have trouble with release. A mould has to be tapered.
    NRA Endowment Member

Good to know about the aluminum welding, I may let the welding shop tackle that for me.

I'll keep an eye for angled stuff in the scrap bins. I am having pretty good luck with the coke can molds we used last time. We just cut the top off of (I was drinking Mt Dew, dad had miller lite) coke cans and poured the lead right in. We had to destroy the cans to get the lead out and we had to do some drinking to keep up, but I think it's going to turn out for smelting end.

I am recasting all of my big 6-12 lb ingots in to 1 lb ingots right now. Coke cans fit nicely in my lee 20 pot.

Banned

Just using any Mig steel welder is tough for alum.

Really need a welder that set up for it like mentioned above. Work has to be clean and also preheated. Need a lot of amps too.

Took me awhile to get the hang of decent MIG aluminum welding.

In Remembrance

Do a search and take a look at the ingot molds (steel) made from angle iron and channel. I am in the process of making some from angle iron. 1 1/2 iron with 4 pieces side by side and two pieces turned outward for handles on the ends. 15 degree angle on the ends to help release. Dale

Boolit Master
    Aluminum can be tough if you don't weld it very often. Steel is very forgiving. You have your own reasons for choosing aluminum but but steel welds a lot easier....... at least for me it does.

Banned

Ive allways used a tig welder to do aluminum.

Boolit Master
    TiG is nice for aluminum. I've run some really nice beads with it. But if I'm gonna have a bad day in the welding shop it's probably gonna be with aluminum.

If the piece you are going to weld is very thick, you might want to preheat it first.

Watch which Alum alloy you use.

6061 and 7075 alum don't like to be welded AT ALL !!! Stick to 2024 and you can do some good work.

Like the others have said Steel for molds works well.

Good Shooting,

TwoTrees

Boolit Buddy
    For a small job you could/can get by with pushing the wire .... as long as you have a shorter lead and keep it straight as possable* but as stated a spool gun is always better* ... no kinks or coils or twist in it.. but doing big jobs like production welding like when i built semi- dump trailers the wire spool was mounted on the machine witch pushed,,,,, and there was a head with motor on it that pulled together... this being said we were running 20 to 30 foot leads and it was antifreeze cooled... as the point between welding and slumping is not far apart new Alum can be weld reasonably well... old, used, was- is a bear to weld.....you just can't seem to get it clean enuff.... Alum is- reminds alot of welding brass the puddle has the same look and feel* <-- guess is the word* to it workablility to it,,,,, as others have stated...... go steel it welds eazyer is cheaper and tuffer only down fall is weight...but your working with lead anyway he he what is a xta lbs or 2

Boolit Buddy
    Steel for the ingot molds and a replacment weight mold for your Dad. The two will be cheaper than setting up to weld AL.

Weight Mold source: Li'L Mac Molds
    PO Box 6325, Spokane, WA 99217-0905

Boolit Grand Master

In my experience, 7075 and 2024 are difficult to impossible to weld and
    6061 welds as easy as can be.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Has anyone tried the heat welding rods that they sell at ace for welding aluminum. I saw a guy at a gun show weld a al can and it would tough as nails, but I do not know how deep it will weld.

Does lil mac have a website? 10lb molds seem to be in $60 range from retail dive suppliers and my dad isn't setup as a wholesaler anymore. I am unemployed at the moment so cheap is better since we have belts for shot and the cast is for anchors.

The coke cans work great. I melted them all down into 1lb ingots, I have a large ammo box full of 1lb ingots.

Aluminum can be readily welded with a gas torch and Acetylene rich flame. Small tip -
    Aluminum should be mechanically cleaned just before welding with a STAINLESS steel wire brush that is either new or not used for any other purpose. Works well for one -off work.
    Repaired lots of aircraft engine mounts this way before Heli-arc (TIG) was readily available.

Welding

HeliArc is the best way to weld... But for the cost just buy another mold or make your own... Weld shops have a min charge that will exceed the price of the mold.
    TxGunfighter

Boolit Buddy

Most of the major points have allready been made but i will add that if your going to use a mig welder on alum. you will need a new liner in the gun, the old one will be way to dirty to push the wire. But if you have an ac/dc buzz box you can run it on the ac side use a scratch start and your welding, without the hi-freq. of a better machine the welds will be dirty and you probably will blow out the start and stoping point just some ideas tho. Good Luck and even if you spend as much as it cost you to get ingot mold on tools your still ahead of the game b/c now you have the tools to do it again or use other places. GO FOR IT!!!!! I would
    Ill be as nice as you let me and as mean as you make me, your Choice

Quote Originally Posted by mauser1959 View Post
    Has anyone tried the heat welding rods that they sell at ace for welding aluminum. I saw a guy at a gun show weld a al can and it would tough as nails, but I do not know how deep it will weld.
    I use it all the time to make model airplane mufflers. That is a low temp alloy. It works at 720 degrees F. Too low a melting point for lead casting.
    WORK TO LIVE, LIVE TO HUNT
    SHOOT ONCE, KILL CLEAN, APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE