Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load DataSnyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication

Thread: .525 Lyman slug

.525 Lyman slug

I love the trap commander wad and Lyman .525 slug combo, problem being I also love federal Gold Medal hulls, but I could never get them to crimp properly they like to pooch, so my solution was to cut off the wad and gas seal get rid of the cushion legs and add 2 .125 nitro cards to bring up the column total weight is 544 grains, with the slug in the unaltered wad it is 538 grains, I use blue dot and herco as powders, I have had excellent results with the trap commander and .525 in Cheddie hulls, hope this holds true for the gold medals... Comments welcome HCClick image for larger version. 

Name:	a1 006.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	107592Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a1 005.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	107593Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a1 003.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	107594Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a1 004.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	107595Also I put a plastic disc under slug to raise it a bit, and a overshot card..
    Last edited by hatcreek; 06-12-2014 at 07:24 PM. Reason: forgot somthing

Boolit Master

The big question....How do they shoot? Pretty stout with no cushion I suspect. Smoothbore? rifled? accuracy? Fellow tinkerers want to know. FYI, the Helix Cushion Driver 18 is the exact same shotcup as the trap commander, just a little shorter overall with a more substantial cushion section. May save you a couple of tedious steps. Be glad to send you a few if 1/8" will help.
    http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Hel...info/020HCD18/

Thanks Hogtamer, I have not shot any as of yet shooting for Sunday, the gun is a 870 rifle barrel, and yes if you can spare a few of the wads I would like to try them, thanks HC

Boolit Bub
    Hogtamer, a little off topic, but have you tried the TC/HCD was with a .690 ball for fit?

Every wad I have is too tight for my .729/.730 barrels, but the data I have from Ballistic Products uses this wad. It's worth a try if it works but I don't want to buy a whole bag of they are too tight.

Boolit Master

Longbow and excess650 are the resident round ball experts! Either guy will be happy to help and you can trust their advice.....I just get lucky once in a while!