RepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
WidenersReloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why .357 in Handi Rifle???

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    If you've never used a thumbhole stock on an exposed hammer rifle like the Handi, you might want to try one before you buy. I don't like having to move my thumb all the way around the back of the grip to get to the hammer. Standard stocks handle much better for me on Handis.

AMEN!!! I have a TC Omega thumbhole and while the stock fits me like a glove, I can't cozy up to the way my thumb has to move around the stock to cock it. If the gun didn't shoot 5/8" groups, I'd probably sell it.

Boolit Bub
    small game or quiet plinking rifle in 38 special
    or
    deer/hog....100yard rifle in 357 mag

ammo compatable with the 357 thats ALWAYS in my pocket
    ammo compatable with the 38s that are carried by my kids
    yes they all have a 357 handi rifle
    we shoot more 38s than anything....they are soooooo quiet

and they are all now also handle the 357MAX as a bonus
    if we ever find something the gun won't already do

we shoot more 38s than anything....they are soooooo quiet

Boolit Master

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by TCLouis View Post
    Simple, lightweight, accurate shooting a readily available round and soft on the pocketbook ta boot!

Load mild to wild and get significant increase in performance in the Handi

Oh and it can become even better with judicious hand reaming to 357 MAX.

What's not to love here?
    Exactly!!

I have two H&R maxi rifles. One is a 22" the other is a 16.5".

Hows 2300 fps with a 180g SSP bullet and 1" accuracy sound? I have shot over a dozen deer with mine. The 22" has been a loaner for two different youngsters, worked perfectly for them too!

Years ago, I sold off a bunch of T/C stuff and little by little replaced it with H&R's. The price and ease of tinkering to make them shoot was fun. If you like a little challenge, they are a good platform thats inexpensive.

As for the stocks, yea, only syn now. Remember this is a low end, relatively inexpensive rifle. Also correct, after market stocks as well as used stuff comes up on eBay as well as the classifieds over on GBO.

Also, all the but stocks stocks are interchangeable, SB1, SB2, SS, Topper. Rim fire, center fire and shotgun, all of them going back a good 30 years.
    The forends may be inlet for larger barrels than yours and if you have say a 12 Ga you may need to open one up to fit. But the dimensions are the same so the forends fit as well.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I have been searching for a .357 lever action for some time now, and am pretty surprised that they never come up used, and the cheapest I've seen is about $600.

Now I've all but decided on a .357 H and R. I already reload for them, it's got plenty of power for deer. And I've seen some evidence that people can get amazing accuracy from a pretty low-dollar rifle.

When I was a kid I hunted for years with a .50 Hawken, and a break action is definitely faster to load than that! You just need to take your time and wait for a decent target to present itself.

I'm pretty much sold on one. I'd actually better hurry up, to get it dialed in before season opens.
    Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing!

Boolit Master

Inexpensive to reload , accurate and just plain fun to shoot . my 357 has a red dot sight

Boolit Master

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by John in WI View Post

Now I've all but decided on a .357 H and R. I already reload for them, it's got plenty of power for deer. And I've seen some evidence that people can get amazing accuracy from a pretty low-dollar rifle.

I'm pretty much sold on one. I'd actually better hurry up, to get it dialed in before season opens.

Here is the 22" barrel with 180XTP's

Here is the 16.5" with the same loading..

Here is the 16.5" when it was 21" with a 170 GDSP bullet

This is a old one, I made a note that it was 225 yards, but I will guess that its a 180SSP. What I do know it was my first maxi H&R when it was 21" long.

They CAN be made to shoot pretty well. PLENTY well enough for the ranges they preform at!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    I know, this is an old post but..... MidwayUSA has .357 Remington Maximum brass in stock now. Remington just ran it, so stock up while it's available. Mike Bellm is chambering a Bergarra .35 cal. barrel for me as I write type this for an Encore rifle, and I just bought a Handi-rifle and am sending him the barrel to rechamber. He cuts his own reamers, NOT to SAAMI specs. Read all about it on his site bellmT/C.com Good shooting! Bob
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

Boolit Bub
    Prefer my H&R 158 in .357 over the newer NEF Handi. Lighter rifle with thinner tapered barrel. Mine has a long chamber and will take .357 Max brass trimmed down a bit to about .360 DW lenght with out any need to re-chamber.

Banned

The .357Handi Rifles have the same SAAMI "long" chamber and can also get close to chambering .357 max ammunition. I have never considered any of my Handi Rifles "heavy" but I am glad you like your H&R 158.

Boolit Master
    Roundball works great and you can use black powder.