RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataInline FabricationTitan ReloadingWideners
Lee Precision

Thread: old RCBS 150 KT mold

Boolit Mold

old RCBS 150 KT mold

I was out cleaning up some more old casting stuff that I was given and came across an old RCBS mold marked 150 KT.

I understand that this is one of the old Keith-Taylor designed mold. I have heard that many of the older bullet casters preferred them to today's more modern SWC designs.

Does anyone have any history on why they were considered superior to today's designs, when they were discontinued by RCBS (approx. year) and what their approximate worth is ??

(I don't like the SWC designs for .357/.38 as they don't feed very well from my lever action rifle. My rifle likes truncated cone flat nosed designs.)

Any help would be appreciated -- Thanks in advance, guys.

Boolit Grand Master

I think KT mean "Keith Type" - never heard of "Keith Taylor"

The Keith designs work very will in my revolvers, accurate short range and long. Seem to kill well
    in the few animals that I have used them on. They are revolver boolits and are unlikely to
    feed well in leverguns, which were generally designed around RN or RNFP designs.
    Elmer wanted three driving bands of equal width, one large, flat bottomed lube groove
    and a full diameter front band outside the case to help align the boolit in the tapered lead in
    to the throat in the cylinder sooner - basically while the base was still inside the case, to
    help the boolit align nicely to the throat in a revolver cylinder.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    I believe I still have my RCBS 150-KT mold and yes it well not work in a rifle like win 94 but stick this boolit in a M19 or M27 or even better a 10 inch contender with a 2 X scope and it can be a surprise right out to 100 yards if the shooter can do his part.

I had a seaco 3 cav and this 150 KT as my go to 357 molds for years finally found a nice deal on a 4 cav Lyman copy 358477 I think, and converted it to RR's Lee type sprue plate with trough.

Sold the Seaco to pay for the upgrades from Red River Rick and never looked back, LOL!

For a Lever gun I think I'd run a different casting, Lymans 9mm 150 FP might be a good start, if you can get one that cast the size you need!

Boolit Grand Master
    the 38-150 KT is the spitting image of the Lyman 358-477 and was my favorite SWC for 38's and 357's back in the day. IME, it shoots better than the ballyhooed 358-429, and you can crimp it in the crimp groove and still stuff it in a Model 27 or 28 Smith. It has been renamed, but as our valiant Airman points out, RCBS still cranks 'em out.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    There's a web site that has dimensional drawings of both styles...... I'll see if I can find it again.......

http://www.tmtpages.com/web_images/p...0%20159_gr.htm
    http://www.tmtpages.com/LinkSkyImage..._gr_Sketch.Jpg

They are both marked as the "KT" molds, but I do believe that the one is the "SWC" mold......

Dan
    Last edited by 220swiftfn; 06-04-2014 at 02:16 AM.

Boolit Master

The RCBS 150 gr -KT was my first boolet mould, around 30+ years ago , excellent cast boolet !

Boolit Master

Humm I had the same mold until movers lost it in one of my many military moves no ideal what it's worth maybe if you was to post a picture then these guys could help btw I'll give $75.00 for it Just shoot me a PM if you want to sell it.
    Last edited by SSGOldfart; 06-04-2014 at 08:53 AM. Reason: fat finger
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Quote Originally Posted by bobthenailer View Post
    The RCBS 150 gr -KT was my first boolet mould, around 30+ years ago , excellent cast boolet !
    Mine too, still turns out great bullets.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, this is so close to the 358477 that one will drop into the cavity of the other
    mold - altho the RCBS is a square lube groove and the Lyman is round. The
    front corner of the meplat is slightly more rounded on the 477, too.

Neither is a true Keith - nose is a bit short for that, probably to work thru
    the short cyl .357 S&W revolvers. This may be why it is .38 150 SWC now -
    somebody may have pointed out that it really isn't a Keith design - of course,
    they did indicate "Keith TYPE", for whatever all of that is worth.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.