RotoMetals2WidenersReloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Propane house

Banned

I have tried to figure a way to get coal delivered to So. Cal. That would be my choice.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmortimer View Post
    I have tried to figure a way to get coal delivered to So. Cal. That would be my choice.
    Have you had coal before? It's available here and I stay away from it. Still plenty of homes in town w/ the coal chutes under their front porches. To much of a mess for me. But I have other options.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmortimer View Post
    I would have assumed California was anti-coal, not knowing any better. Are there any restrictions/regulations/bans, etc. on coal there?

Banned

Not sure about restrictions on coal, would not doubt it, but we have to get special wood stoves approved for California and now EPA have new standard which will affect entire country, making wood stoves more expensive/scarce.

Boolit Buddy
    I will say one small advantage to propane stove, is that when the electric goes out during a storm, you can get SOME heat from the appliance, notice I said some, don't run it all the time!!!! or even for long periods, but nothing like some hot chocolate chip cookies and hot chocolate milk in the kitchen when you don't have electricity.

Boolit Master

I just bought my own propane tank and joined a local co-op ($10) year propain* though them is $1.69/gallon i have stove hot water heater and boiler that heats a 1900 square foot home and use less than 2000 gallons a year.
    * locally i was charged up to $4.99 / gallon so propain is new spelling.

I have looked into wood heat best way is outdoor boiler cost is $10,000 i just do not see it as making it save for a long time. 500 gallon Tank was about a grand installed some places charge much more
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master
    You guys are a wealth of knowledge !!!
    One cool thing I noticed, the basement has a fireplace also (in addition to the 2 up). It is plumb'd into the furnace vents somehow (heat exchanger ?). Didn't pay attention on first walk through.
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Boolit Master
    we heat our 2100 sq ft home with propane, and supplement with a pellet stove, when it really gets chilly. Our house is pretty well insulated (I think, lol) and we normally prebuy our propane (propain, like that spelling) We do keep our t-stat about 68 during the day, drop it down to 63-64 at night. 500 gal tank is not mine, was supplied by propane company, no rental fee. We do prebuy our propane, matter of fact, just got our notice to prebuy, $1.83/gal, cash or check. Tried to get the company to install a larger 1000 gal tank, and they would not do it, based on our usage, which averages to 1200-1300 gals/yr. We're on automatic fill, and normally they come 3-4 times a year. Most years we have money left over on our account, which is passed on to the following year. We also use a propane drier, and water heater. Stove is electric, as my wife doesn't like to cook with propane. We do have a 2nd stove in the basement that is propane. I told her I wanted to keep that one in the event of a power outage, we can still cook dinner, make coffee (very important), and make boolit lube. We do use the propane stove for canning, too.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger1911 View Post
    One cool thing I noticed, the basement has a fireplace also (in addition to the 2 up). It is plumb'd into the furnace vents somehow (heat exchanger ?). Didn't pay attention on first walk through.
    Fairly common. Allows you use the central system fan to move hot air from the fireplace. A buddy has one hooked up to his ductwork and it's how he heats his home. He only runs the heat pump when above 40 degrees and we disabled his electric auxiliary heat package. It's best to completely remove the piping from the fireplace to the ductwork in the warmer months. Dampers do not close 100%.

Boolit Master
    "I will say one small advantage to propane stove, is that when the electric goes out during a storm, you can get SOME heat from the appliance, notice I said some, don't run it all the time!!!! or even for long periods, but nothing like some hot chocolate chip cookies and hot chocolate milk in the kitchen when you don't have electricity."

This is only the case if your cooking stove has a standing polit. Most made in the last several years do not. Probably for at least the last 10 years they would have electric ignition which would require power to start.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by turmech View Post
    This is only the case if your cooking stove has a standing polit. Most made in the last several years do not. Probably for at least the last 10 years they would have electric ignition which would require power to start.
    The oven will have a hot surface ignitor so that's a no go for using w/ no power. The stove top simply requires a match to light the burners.

Boolit Master
    Yes, but not baking cookies is all I meant.

A contract that can be broken by one party - isn't a contract.

Quote Originally Posted by alrighty View Post
    Not much to add except one thing to look out for before doing a summer price contract.The propane companies here have in their contract that they can cancel at any time for any reason.So last winter when the cost of propane doubled they would not honor their contract.

Crack a window in another room if you use your stove for heat.
    Under normal circumstances the carbon oxides aren't an issue, but in a power outage the furnace isn't moving air and the kitchen can accumulate more than one cares to breath.

Quote Originally Posted by turmech View Post
    "I will say one small advantage to propane stove, is that when the electric goes out during a storm, you can get SOME heat from the appliance, notice I said some, don't run it all the time!!!! or even for long periods, but nothing like some hot chocolate chip cookies and hot chocolate milk in the kitchen when you don't have electricity."

Boolit Master

We bought this place and the owners were "askeered" of gas, although the old heater was gas. They took out all the piping.......I abhor electric stoves and wanted a new water heater so I was a plumber for a day. I got it all plumbed and tested. No leaks! The drier is electric, as is the AC (I'm in the desert). Propain (I like that too) is my answer. 500 gallons lasts a year. And we do lots of cooking, canning and such. We have a large bath tub too. Bath with your sweety and conserve water. I do have an old (brand new condition) coal wash stove. Now if I can trade lead for coal>>>>>>>>>
    Lewis AKA Wright Brothers Gunsmiths

"Illegitimus non carborundum"

Political Correctness: A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t*rd by the clean end!

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

I don't know if this is any help with all the previous answers but....I am total propane. Heat, cooking, hot water and even the garage/shop heat for over 20 years. BUY your tank and keep the receipt for a few years to show the company you buy from that you own it....they WILL ask for it. I bought a bury tank, 1000 gallons, because they only fill any tank 80% to allow for expansion. Call around to all the propane companies for the first few years as prices vary wildly. I've seen a buck a gallon difference. DO NOT be lead into automatic fill. If your lucky you'll eventually find a dealer like I did who is always the best price and you'll just use him. The guy I use charges a flat amount over his cost, not a percentage, so when prices go up he isn't gouging. Our house is about 2100 sq. ft. with a third of it with ceilings that vault to 14 feet. My wife works out of here and with the pets and customers the doors are opened and closed a lot and the shop temp has to be up when I'm finishing. We use between 1,100 and 1,300 gallons a year for everything which I consider very good. The highest it was here during last Winter's "shortage" was 1.99 but generally runs much less with Summer prices, when you get filled of course, of 1.49. When we're not heating and it's cooking and hot water which we use a lot of you won't even see the gauge move. I like the stuff and like living out.

Boolit Master
    I've lived and worked in five states and two foreign countries. I have never been lived anywhere where Propane was not cheaper than electricity for heat, cooking or hot water. I've had a commercial six burner Garland range for a kitchen stove for the last 25 years and it has always been cheaper than electric, even with four pilots running 24/7. If you really want to save some $$ and live in luxury, get a propane instantaneous water heater. An Aquastar, or Rinnai. Much cheaper than an electric water heater, and when you want to, you can stay in the shower forever and not run out of hot water. Ever fall through the ice? A long hot shower is just the ticket after that experience, like two hours long

Boolit Buddy
    I work for the big propane company. The local guy has some advantage and the big guy has advantages in other area's. Remember when the company puts their tank in your lawn. The money clock is ticking. What I mean is that's a fixed asset that they own. They have to get a return just a common law in business. If you own your tank that does not apply and a better price. But you own it. Regulator problems leaks etc can be your problem. That's why I say a contract for the season. You may have a friend when you need one in say January.
    One other thing high volume users (commercial) don't at least in my area own a tank because high volume means lower margins . No need to own it.
    One advantage of the big guy is supply is not an issue. They can get the gas. Like I say the local player has advantages also. But supply is a big one..

Boolit Master

Went from oil to propane heat in our small(1300 sg.ft.) home. Never used more than 110 in a winter out of the 250 gal. "Caboose" in the yard(we own it, so I call around for the lowest price every summer). When hot water heater expires, I'm thinking about one of propane fired on demand deals. The wife will not give up the 1950's Hotpoint electric double oven though !

Moderator Emeritus

One of the big users is a hot water tank. Switch to an on demand or go to solar hot water and you will cut a lot of gas use. If in the country consider a standby generator or go wood so you have heat in winter when power fails. I have a pellet stove and it will run off 12 volts from my solar array and storage batteries. I need to start buying a ton of pellets a month from here on out so I have a stash this winter, suspect prices might spike...