WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky

Thread: First Pig and first game with reloads (not cast)

Boolit Buddy

First Pig and first game with reloads (not cast)

On Monday of this week I had two firsts that occurred to me! and both were great! First off I shot my first pig ever! Three of us went to South Carolina to hunt hogs with Blackwater Hunting. On Monday eve, I was sitting in my stand and it was getting towards dark. (8ish) I had been seeing plenty of deer, but no hogs. Then all of a sudden, I heard something coming! I knew it wasn't deer, and was pretty sure they were pigs. Sure enough, I caught a glimpse of them coming through the brush! I got one of the worst cases of "buck/pig fever" I have had in a long time! You know, sweaty palms, barely able to breathe, heart pounding out of your chest..... The pigs crossed the lane about 45 yards from my stand. I saw they looked like smaller ones, but I was gonna shoot me a pig! Then in the back behind the others, I saw one that was quite a bit bigger. I figured it was momma pig. She stepped out on the lane about 45 yards away. I went into auto mode, and all of a sudden, the crosshairs of my Redfield scope were settled just below her ear. My finger automatically applied pressure; and my 1951 Marlin Model 336 chambered in 35 Remington barked once, and it was all over. There she lay, my first ever pig! I am glad nobody was with me to see me! I probably would have been embarrassed! I was half laughing half crying and all emotional and thanking God out loud! It was an awesome experience! To top it off, my brother also shot a hog, and the other guy that was with us shot a small one. So we all 3 scored on the same night and within 15 min of each other!
    To add even more happiness, that pig was the first game I ever shot with my own reloads! Now I must apologize, they were jacketed, not cast. But it gave a HUGE boost in confidence! I CAN shoot something with ammo I put together myself! For those of you that are interested in the load, it was Rem brass, CCI200 primers, Hornady 200 grain FTX bullets over 39 grains of LeverEvolution powder. It shoots beautifully out of my gun. Groups at 1.375 @ 200 yards. Speed is 1950 fps. Just a sweet shooting load. So this week was an awesome experience for me!
    Below is a picture of the 3 of us. It was the first pig for all 3 of us! I am the one in the middle.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0560.jpg 
Views:	391 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	106531

Boolit Bub
    Makin' bacon. Love the pic of the kid with the kid-sized hog. Great fun.

Boolit Grand Master

Awesome. That memory will last a lifetime.

Boolit Master
    Congrats! Nothing wrong with Jbullits....I shoot them a lot myself. Just depends on what I'm shooting and what I'm doing. Anyone that that likes to shoot and hunt, even with jbullits, is engaged in a pretty nice activity. Nice going guys.

Boolit Bub
    Well done I love shooting feral pigs. I cant remember my first pig but can remember the one before. I was so disappointed

Boolit Grand Master

Good job! When you get your first pig with a cast boolit in that 35 Rem you won't be able to wipe that grin off your face for a week, I'll bet. I haven't hunted with a j-word since the first one dropped to a boolit.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    congrats! I remember the first time I killed game with my rifle jword reloads. wasn't into boolit casting back then.

Good job!

Perma-Banned

Congrats and great story.

Boolit Bub
    Congratulations! Thanks for sharing. Nice hogs.

Congrats, it's always satisfying shooting game with your own handload, especially your first! Where in SC were you?

Boolit Buddy
    We were in Ulmer, with Blackwater Hunting!