Lee PrecisionWidenersSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: Sticky powder measure on Old Eynsford?

Boolit Buddy

Sticky powder measure on Old Eynsford?

So I've been shooting OE a fair amount lately. My lyman 55 measure started to get sticky, so I diassembled and cleaned it. I didn't know what to lube with, I didn't want oil in there, so I used some of the 1 shot sizing lube. It seems to be dry silicone, but who knows for sure. It was great for a while, then stiffened up again. Then, I loaded some "foulers". Note my fouler powder is a bit of whatever I've got. Garage sale 50 cents a pound 3F, some 1/8 lb leftovers of whatever I tested and didn't like, a little 777, anything I want to use up. Within 5 charges the handle was as free as ever.

Anyone else have this problem with Old Eynsford?

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    I coated my Lyman 55 drum with Frankford Arsenal mould spray from time to time.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master
    Don,
    Is that a graphite based spray in a volatile solvent? I had a NEI mold release that that I used on my RCBS drum and mold sprue cut off plates that was great. Edited to add this was about 30 years ago and I don't have anymore.
    Last edited by LynC2; 05-24-2014 at 09:36 PM.
    NRA Endowment member, TSRA Life member, Distinguished Rifleman, Viet Nam Vet

I think Old E is glazed...but it has no dust like KIK does...??? Mabe it is not glazed and this would explain the lack of graphite to lube your sizer.

I use my RCBS Chargemaster and have never had any residue problems.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Lyn, yes it's the spray on graphite. I did that to keep my Lyman 55 running smoothly, but I haven't used it for a few years now.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    For many years I have used an application of LEE sizing lube, lightly applied with a bit of rag to my occasionally disassembled measure parts. It is a micro crystaline wax that drys quickly and will protect against powder sticking or measure parts rusting. Good for those small pocket pistols also where you want some lube, but not lint collecting.

BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

I have two Lyman 55 drops filled with 1.5 and 2F OE and I don't have a problem. But I keep the lids on so the powder does not draw moisture and they get used several times during the week and they never sit without powder in them.
    If you don't use them regularly I would go to a farm store and get a bottle of graphite they use for lubricating the corn planter plates. I got a 1#bottle for less than $20.
    Any black powder will draw moisture especially if you keep the drop empty and not clean out the dust will rust the cast iron and bind the drums.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks guys.
    I'll start with the graphite spray.