Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad Data
RepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: Case lube?

Boolit Bub

Case lube?

I hope this is the right place for this question...

I recently got a Lee Classic turret press since I am now loading a lot of pistol and my old RCBS single stage is just too slow for that. I was thinking it would be great for loading 223 plinking rounds. I would still prefer to use the single stage for my AT&T rounds.

The problem I see loading rifle ammo on the turret press is dealing with case lube on loaded ammo. I've always tumbled my cases for a couple hours after sizing to remove the case lube, then prime and load.

Am I missing something here? How do you deal with it? It seems there is no real advantage to the turret press on rifle ammo if I wind up with a bunch of gummy, sticky ammo.

Boolit Grand Master

I keep two seperate batches if doing volume loading. I will spray with Dillon Case lube, deprime and resize, then toss back in the tumbler. Once I have as much done as I'm gonna load, back to the progressive. I try to keep a batch of 223/5.56 ready to go (already deprimed and resized) and stored away in gallon ziplock bags on the shelf.

In other words I have 3 stacks:
    1. Dirty brass
    2. Deprimed, sized and clean-ready to load
    3. Loaded

Some people just load it and wipe off any remaining after it is loaded. Personally, I dont like having case lube anywhere near my powder.

Boolit Master

I decap as a separate function then load after or later. I always have a box of about 1k ready to load for the reason you mentioned
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Bub
    I always tumble, deprime & size, tumble again, then prime my brass in batches and keep a bunch ready to just load. I really don't see the advantage of the turret press for rifle ammo if I can't do all steps together at once like pistol ammo. Guess I will keep doing all my rifle on the old RCBS single stage.

I never tumble brass. After sizing it gets a quick wipe with a paper towel, and then it gets wiped again before going in the box to take care of any bullet lube on the bullet or neck. I use sizing lube I made from beeswax, and ATF.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop Junior View Post
    I never tumble brass. After sizing it gets a quick wipe with a paper towel, and then it gets wiped again before going in the box to take care of any bullet lube on the bullet or neck. I use sizing lube I made from beeswax, and ATF.
    It is my experience that any trace lube left on brass + semi-auto rifle = jammed gun at match.

Well I don't shoot semi auto so I don't have to worry about that lol. I like classic old style guns. Single shots and levers mostly.

Boolit Buddy
    I tumble my loaded rounds for 10 minutes in walnut and gets all the lube off.

Boolit Buddy
    I use the Hornady One Shot spray lube on mine. It dries ( matter of fact, let it dry a few minutes before sizing, as per directions). No need to wipe it off or run it through the tumbler afterwards. Never had a malfunction in the AR or the Springfield M1 as a result of the lube on the case. If you're pad lubing with a grease type lube, then yes, you had better clean it off afterwards. Spray lube is the best thing to come along since canned milk.
    America is like a healthy body, and its resistance is threefold: its patriotism, its morality, and its spiritual life. If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within. Joseph Stalin

"Hope" is not a strategy.

Life member NRA
    US Navy Retired
    NRA Certified Rifle, Pistol, Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor, Range Safety Officer

I use Hornady Unique wax and have never stuck a case, .223/556, 30-06 or 300 Savage. The secret is in the application. Get a little on your fingers, and massage a bunch of it in an old Tupperware bowl (a big one).

Love Life
    Tumble your loaded ammo for 20 minutes to remove the lube.

LEE lube and SS tumbling for 20 minute's after sizing

Boolit Master
    I've been playing with different lubes lately. When case forming, Imperial on the outside, Lee on a Q-Tip for inside the case necks or graphite. A little goes a long way for this. I also use Dillon (lanolin & etoh) for volume straight wall case sizing. Again, little goes a long way. I may wipe cases of with a cloth rag or goes into the tumbler. When I have an expensive hunt, a ritual with me when I'm done is to do a finally inspection of the loaded rounds, many of these are wildcats, I wipe the loaded rounds down with a rag and a little Bushmills. Afterwards a toast. It may be silly or superstitious, but it's the way I've done it on the more expensive hunts.

I picked up some Royal lube and I will see how that does.

Take care

r1kk1

Boolit Master

Bushmill's as solvent? That's some happy brass!!

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Grand Master

You could always disengage the auto index feature of your press and use it single stage instead of semi-progressive. Lube, size/decap, then clean. Then finish with clean deprimed brass. I got my Lee turret about 12 years ago and have been using it without the auto-index for 11 3/4 years. I prefer to advance the turret by hand...
    My Anchor is holding fast!