Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ok, what now?

Boolit Master
    Straighten out a trot line size fish hook and pull it out with the barb.
    The man who invented the plow was not bored. He was hungry.

I believe the first thing I'd try is butting the brass in an empty vibratory tumbler (no media) and let it run for a while... never know, might just shake the stuff loose. Maybe even toss some more .22 caliber brass in with it.

Chuck a small spring, just under neck diameter and long enough to reach the bottom of the case, in your rotary tool of choice. Cut a coil so it has an open pointy end. Violà! Instant mini-roto-rooter.

Sorry, getting a bit far afield. Seriously, how important is this 50 pcs. Of .223 brass to you?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    Jonp,

You have my sympathy. I bought pet store corncob that was too big exactly ONCE. Years ago Wally World sold some that was suitable for polishing bottlenecked brass but one day I went in for more and it was the huge chunks. It was a real pita to get it out of the .223 cartridges. It works OK for large straight walled cases like .44/.45 but it terrible for rifle cartridges. I made a tool out of small hobby shop music wire to pick it out of a couple hundred .223 cases.

I bought the 14/20 grit blasting corncob from Drillspot and it goes right through primer flash holes "most" of the time but seems to get caught in SOME 5.56 flash holes. Next time I buy it will be the 20/40 grit which is too fine to get stuck in flash holes. It comes in a 40 pound container but the 2014 price is $34.00 + 19.95 shipping- higher than it was a few years ago when shipping was free but still the best price I've found.

David
    I got the 20/40 grit. Get it, and you'll never have that problem again. They'll send you a gigantic sack of it (almost a lifetime supply) for $34.00 + shipping (which has gone WAY up since I bought mine). Put a couple capfuls of Nufinish car wax in it and your brass will stay shiny for years. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful with your present situation, but you have some good advice already. Depends on how many cases we're talking about, getting the media out could turn into a royal pain.
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

If you have a Vibrating Brass Machine just remove the lid and turn it on and set the brass on top of the stud. Or to say place the stud inside of the case mouth while it is running and it will vibrate it loose. Never tried .223 cases but it has worked on larger stuff.
    I tried that a few times & found that if/when the hard-packed stuff breaks loose, it then falls down into the neck/mouth of the case where it gets wedged in-between the tumbler rod & the case mouth, holding the case onto the rod quite firmly at that point & proved fairly difficult to remove, so I wouldn't suggest that particular approach.... YMMV

Just another thought, though I'm not sure how well it would work (if at all...) but perhaps one of those blower nozzle tips for an air compressor might be helpful?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Airman Basic View Post
    http://www.harborfreight.com/25-lbs-...dia-92155.html
    Won't stick in flash holes or cake in my experience. I also us nufinish.
    I have a box of that. Works good but for really cruddy or tarnished stuff i use corncob first.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    50 223 brass? I'd toss it.
    Bow your heads in respect for our fallen brother my friends, for I have little doubt that this was his last post, surely struck where he sat by lightning, his finger still on the Send It button,,,,,,,,,for such is the fate of all who utter such sacrilege,,,,,,,,,,,so mote it be.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Never had this happen. If the media is dry, it should not compact. Then again, I rarely run the tumbler more than 3hrs.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    I have a box of that. Works good but for really cruddy or tarnished stuff i use corncob first.
    For the sure 'nough funky stuff I go with stainless steel pins.

Boolit Master
    If de-capped, what about compressed air? Even into the case mouth might work too, just wear a face mask.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

I've only had that happen once. I used pet store corncob. It's much coarser than the fine stuff intended for polishing brass. Don't recall how I got it out, just that it was a royal PITA, and I never used it again.

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    Line them up on a 2X4 and put a cherry tomato on top of each and fire away.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    Never had this happen. If the media is dry, it should not compact. Then again, I rarely run the tumbler more than 3hrs.
    I use Walnut Shell along with NuFinish and fill up my Tumbler and let it run when I go to bed so it may run from 8 to 17 hours lol. Is that a bit much lol.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Buddy
    Zoro Tools sells this in 14/20 and 20/40 grits. A 40lb bag is $25 with FREE shipping.

Boolit Grand Master

Interesting. I have been tumbling .223 in corncob for decades, it just falls out
    as I shake the brass in a chicken fryer wire basket, like all other cartridges. I
    wonder what you are doing differently.

I believe if you sift out all the loose media and put the brass only back in the
    tumbler and run it a while, it should rattle enough to fall back out. May have to do
    a couple of cycles removing the loose corncob as it may start going back in at some
    point.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterGrin_1 View Post
    I use Walnut Shell along with NuFinish and fill up my Tumbler and let it run when I go to bed so it may run from 8 to 17 hours lol. Is that a bit much lol.
    LOL The only way to sleep 17 hours is in a casket.

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    Are you speaking from experience sir?
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fastfire View Post
    Never had that happen..............
    Plus 1...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    Ok lol. I should of said if I did not have time to remove the brass from the tumbler when I wake up I would have to wait longer till I got home again to do it. Now have I slept for 17 Hours YEP. Actually I have slept for over a solid Day lol. And found out I was lucky to wake up at all.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JesterGrin_1 View Post
    I like shiny brass too. The Dillon guys told me that was too much after I burned out the motor on my small Dillon vibe polisher. It's been UPGRADED. They recommended no more than 2 hours per run. I found media and additives that worked in 2 hours. No big deal. Fine corncob, an ounce or so of mineral spirits, a dollop of Nu-Finish. If that won't make it purty in 2 hours you need some crushed walnut to get the grunge off or check out the citric acid sticky. That stuff rocks. I used to use walnut all the time but found that fine corncob is the ticket to make nice brass. The 20/40 grit flows right through primer flash holes and makes brass look better than new.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris