WidenersSnyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2
RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 38 special, S&W model recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    Char-Gar, I believe I read somewhere that years ago the LAPD issued model 14's with 6" barrels and later cut some of those down to 4" before switching to the model 15. Does that sound correct?
    I do know they issues both Model 14s and 15s at one time. I don't know if they chopped down any 14s, but it would not surprise me one bit. For generations, the Smith and Wesson and Colt revolvers in 38 Special were issued to just about every police department and agency in this country. The Highway Patrol tended to use the 357 Magnum round. With proper ammo the 38 Special is still a very respectable round to "take care of business" with.

Somewhere along the way, the various LEO types thought they were outgunned on the streets by the thugs and started issuing high capacity 9mms and later 40s. The number of shots fired per hit went way up with that change and bystanders were placed in increased danger when the cops started pressing the trigger. There is no going back to the "service revolver", but it was made obsolete by a change in thinking and perception and not by any kind of reality.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Banned
    10-4 on the "no going back to the service revolver". And I agree that the 38 Special is a respectable round for many purposes, including self defense. They seem to get maligned in some circles, which is a shame. A 158 gr. 38 Special +P LHP (AKA the FBI load) or even a good Keith style solid SWC; put in the right place - has been well proven to stop most fights. In less serious arenas, with different loadings; it's just a damn fun cartridge!

On the plus side, even though a lot of LE revolvers had hard lives and not always well cared for, there were a LOT made. The shear numbers produced improve the odds of finding a good example here and there. The 38/357 S&W DA revolvers are American icons and I'm happy to see people seeking them out for their personal collections.

Boolit Master
    I have several Model 15's and one in stainless steel (Model 67?) for the EOTWAWKI. Enough for everyone in my immediate family. They are all LEO trade-ins that I was able to buy cheap. In every case, the gun looks bad on the outside (well worn bluing and occasionally some fine rust pits), but they all lock up tight and are in great alignment. They were carried a lot, but not shot much. I have found them from time to time on gun show tables being sold by private individuals who price them to sell. And sell they do. They are a great value. They are all very accurate, just like you would expect from a S&W K-frame.

I personally stay away from .357 Magnum K-frames now that they have the L-frame for that cartridge. I also stay away from N-frames because they don't fit my hands. Try one DA before you buy it. If your finger can't reach the trigger properly, you won't be able to shoot it with any kind of accuracy DA. For hunting, that is not much of a problem since you will probably be using it SA anyway.

Surprisingly, I find a lot of Model 10's (without adjustable sights) and usually, the price is not much different than the Model 15's. The adjustable sight is well worth some extra money.

Banned
    For just plain toughness, I prefer stainless steel and fixed sights but the blued carbon steel S&W's with adjustable sights are functional works of art. If the original poster is seeking a pristine example of a blued S&W DA revolver, they are certainly available. It's simply a matter of price & patience.

Love Life
    Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    Char Gar, what's the 1st and 3rd pictured models? That's what I had in mind as far as aesthetics.

LL- digging the model 28 you've got pictures there.
    5.0 gr of unique under a 358429 in 38 special brass is what that eats as a steady diet. Very accurate and smacks things hard!

Boolit Buddy

Char Gar is right on with his recommendations. I enjoy a S&W Model 28, a Victory and a no dash Model 10. All are 4" and they are a real joy to shoot. Just purchased a Ruger SP101 2.25" 357...built like a tank but I just cannot warm up to it...it will go to my son or go away soon...S&W Model 14 6" Pre 1980 will be it's replacement (I hope)...good luck sir...

rick

Boolit Bub
    if your not dead set on a s&w look at a ruger gp100

Love Life
    The 4 inch model 28 is a joy to shoot and accurate at ranges that will surpise you. My 6 inch model 28 was also a joy and very accurate. I had a 4 inch 586 no lock, but just couldn't really warm up to it like I did the model 28's. The model 27, and pre-27, are the creme de la creme to me. Just beautiful and functional art. Those guns scream "I may be amazing looking, but I will be your worst nightmare if you cross the man holding me." You can usually find decent deals on finish worn model 27 revolvers and the model 28 revolvers are nicely priced as well.

As yes, the 4" Model 28. I an down to just one now after my son and son-in-law relieved me of the others. I like them very much, but if I could just have one I would go with the 6" for the smidge more sight radius and velocity. But I don't have to have just one, I can have more than one.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by mrk_86 View Post
    if your not dead set on a s&w look at a ruger gp100
    Don't do that. Stay on topic, which is Smith and Wesson. If we move off that, I will be forced to post pics of Colts.

Love Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    As yes, the 4" Model 28. I an down to just one now after my son and son-in-law relieved me of the others. I like them very much, but if I could just have one I would go with the 6" for the smidge more sight radius and velocity. But I don't have to have just one, I can have more than one.
    Sir,

I agree with everything you typed 100%!!

My 6 inch model 28 loaded with the NOE 358477 GC cast of 20:1 and loaded over stout dose of 2400 absolutely wreaks havoc on cans, rocks, logs, rabbits, and ground squirrels.

If I were you I would look for a mdl 19,15.the mdl 15s are getting to be collectible as are all s&w wheel guns but the 15s more than the 19s.also I would not overlook a clean mdl 10,the sites are regulated for standard pressure 38s and they shoot just fine

Boolit Grand Master

The hunt it on for a 15, 19, 27 or 28. Thanks guys

Banned
    AWESOME !, of course I'm quietly rooting for the model 15 to win.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I can only speak from the Smith's I've had experience with - and I only have 38s

I have a Combat Masterpiece (DOB 1956) 4" barrel and it's an awesome shooter - think Model 15 - has adjustable sights . . .

I have a 4th Change M & P mid 1920s "Target" - 6 inch barrel - being a target it has adjustable sights - it's a "tack driver"

My favorite though is my 1952 M & P with a 5" barrel - my favorite 38 spl. and a fun and accurate shooter . . . .

Of course they are all K frames. While you mentioned adjustable sights - don't overlook the standard K frame M & P and Model 10. I was brought up shooting SA BP revolvers so am familiar with a variety of styles of non adjustable sights - to me, the M & P / Model 10 basic blade and grooved frame is just a nice as an adjustable sight once you "learn your revolver" . . .

Lots of good models out there - you just need to find one that fits your needs the best. You won't' be disappointed with a Smith . .

I have Colts, Rugers, Smiths and other brands . . . but my "go to" is still my basic M & P / Model 10 style revolver and I love the 5" barrel - I only shoot cast but it likes RN, WC and SWC and shoots them accurately - it's more accurate than I am . .. LOL

I currently own a model 14 6" K 38 and a model 66 6". I have owned numerous 586 and 686 smiths. I am a big smith and wesson fan and own several model 57's and 657's. 41 mag is king at my house. I however recently bought a GP-100 match champion. That Ruger will out shoot any smith 357 that I have ever owned and is just a joy to shoot. I would buy another one of those in a heartbeat. Al
    Last edited by BigAl52; 05-24-2014 at 08:28 AM.
    NRA Life Member

Guns have two enemies Rust and Politicians

Boolit Master
    Adjustable sights come on the model 15 combat masterpiece and also the model 14 target revolver. If it's just 38 special you want to shoot you couldn't go wrong with either one. The model 15 usually has a 4" bbl and the K38 aka model 14 is usually 6" so take your pic. I have one of each. They are accurate and amply strong for what you want and can be found for decent money. When you get to the N framed revolvers 38/357 now you are talking money. Frank

Boolit Grand Master

Model 14, they WILL shoot.

The most beautiful 28 I ever saw is owned by a friend and I was
    thinking about buying it. He let me take it to the range. A pig. About 2-3 inch
    groups at 25 yds with ANY ammo I tried, and I am not new to .357s and .38s.
    Couldn't figure it, but he still has the gun.

I have a 586 which is also super accurate and shoots 7 times.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.