RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad DataLee Precision
Snyders JerkyWidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So, what can I do?

Boolit Master

I too, wonder if I had anything to do with folks leaving.......I've had my feeling hurt, got hopping mad, had a few PM battles, a few phone calls and visited a few members homes. I haven't been a member for ages but I chime in if I have knowledge to share. I started casting when I was 12. An old WW2 vet was my mentor. I'm 65 now and I'm still learning from you guys. If all the high post count members leave, I'll be the leader and Lord knows that wouldn't be a good thing.
    Lewis AKA Wright Brothers Gunsmiths

"Illegitimus non carborundum"

Political Correctness: A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t*rd by the clean end!

Boolit Master

Funny thing, - this is the most drama I have seen here.
    I have no idea of what ticked folks off so as to leave. All I have found is a great source of information on how to cast a better more accurate bullet.
    There are some really kind, sharing, and knowledgeable people here - what exactly is ticking them off?
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Master

After reading the "I'm Done" threads, I have a suggestion; before a person becomes a member who is allowed to post (yes, ALLOWED to post), they should be made to read the Classics and Stickies (how many times has THAT been advised?!). Just as in Swappin' and Sellin', or the Political and Religious discussions. I am not sure how this could be brought about, but I would think there would be a method to log the visits to the 'C & S' by the candidate. I realize that would make us seem to be an 'exclusive' club, but it would put an end to the same questions being asked for the 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 time. In so doing, I think the older and wiser among us would be free to pursue this endeavor with more dedication and enthusiasm instead of trying to help the instant gratification crowd. This is my say, for what it's worth.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Boolit Master
    I'm very guilty of the repeat question. Before the search upgrade, we all have to admit, the search function was horrible here! Horrible! I could never find anything. It is working much better now so maybe everyone can forgive and forget the repeated questions and move on? I know I've been wearing the search feature out and reading a lot of old threads. It's also taken me time to learn who knows stuff here and who's like me and don't know squat. In that time, I've taken to searching individual members posts. Felix, Goodsteel, & Ben to name a few. I've found answers to questions I hadn't even asked yet.....but would have! When I first got here, I didn't know these people were that dang smart. Lol! Now I do.

Message to disgruntled: Some of the more ignorant of us have no way of knowing when we first get here how to use this place. Forgive the ignorant in search of knowledge. Now the plain stupid idiots that sling poo against the wall and repeatedly click refresh to watch the reaction; they need to feel the crushing weight of the Ban Hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by goodsteel View Post
    Castboolits is like a lot of things in life. You get back what you put in.
    It doesn't matter what you used to do here.
    I agree Tim.
    All of us can make a difference here, at a moments notice.
    Conduct your affairs in a gentlemanly fashion, self moderate and challenge ideas/concepts in a respectful manner.
    It really is that easy. I haven't always done it before, but now that I'm aware, there's no going back.

Have a great day folks.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WILCO View Post
    I agree Tim.
    All of us can make a difference here, at a moments notice.
    Conduct your affairs in a gentlemanly fashion, self moderate and challenge ideas/concepts in a respectful manner.
    It really is that easy. I haven't always done it before, but now that I'm aware, there's no going back.

Have a great day folks.
    It REALLY is that simple ain't it.
    If everyone read that post and followed it word for word.....problem solved.

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    Not everything I post has anything to do with casting or guns.

In Jan of last year We here in Illinois finally had a chance to get a CCW law on the books.

I Called 45NUT and bounced several ideas off of him.

Then I started a discussion in "OUR TOWN" and probably raised my post count by 1,000 just answering folks questions.

No I do not have a clue just how the internet works but others helped out and yes we now have CCW in Illinois.

Did my blathering help?

From the responses I received at the site Ken told me to suggest YES C B did.

Yes that was in "OUR TOWN",NO it had nothing to do with casting BUT MOST of us consider this our home and that topic DID make it safer for ALL 60+ Illinois residents here.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

I too miss the wisdom of those that have left and value the contributions thay have made.

I am not one of the contributors as I still have a lot to learn. I do visit and read a lot.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

In Remembrance

I didn`t get as old as I am by being plain stoopid! Yes, I completely agree that I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer nor the brightest light bulb in the attic! Yet I have melted a pound or so of lead over the last 50+ years of casting and have learned a thing or three about lead, other than it is HOT when melted. I recount many stories of my life here in my posts to either make a point or augment a point of the thread in progress. Do I have a thin skin? At times I do indeed have a thin skin on certain topics that people jump me about and my feelings can be hurt. I have thought several times about jumping ship from this site, but continue to remain to try and help out the newbee if I can.Robert

Boolit Buddy
    Something we need to keep in mind is that when talking face to face we get a lot of information from tone of voice and facial expressons. Here on the forum we don't have that information so it is easy for a comment to be misunderstood. Add in a bad day in general and maybe a touchy ego and a flame war erupts. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt. Just my $.02

Boolit Buddy
    The new search function changes everything. Makes it easier for me anyways. I am sure that I can still think up a dumb question.

So the old guys never got lead smeared in their barrel?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Buck Neck It View Post
    The new search function changes everything. Makes it easier for me anyways. I am sure that I can still think up a dumb question.

Not that we would ever admit to.

Now if you want to learn how to get it out we probably have AT LEAST 10 ways of doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by Buck Neck It View Post

I think the old guys know what works, and also what doesn't. For every item on the "works" list there are probably 10 on the "doesn't work" list.

That's what made them old! The school of hard knocks.
    Rossi M92 Lever Action
    Taurus 669
    Kel-Tec P-3AT
    http://357shooter.blogspot.com/

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Water Bill View Post
    Not that we would ever admit to.

Now if you want to learn how to get it out we probably have AT LEAST 10 ways of doing that.

Now that's interesting. A man never gets leading because he's always done it right....but he knows the most obscure and arcane rituals for removing lead that are guaranteed to work. Hmmmm

Boolit Grand Master
    I think the newbies and younger guys ARE the future of this and many other gun related forums. As an old guy that has been casting and handloading for over 40 years, it doesn't bother me a bit to see the same question posted over and over.

What does bother me is seeing an old guy (expert) saying his way is the ONLY way and intimidating the newer guys.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DeanWinchester View Post
    Now that's interesting. A man never gets leading because he's always done it right....but he knows the most obscure and arcane rituals for removing lead that are guaranteed to work. Hmmmm
    Nope I am never going to reveal the steps and chant to the sacred anti leading dance.

That shaman charged me 8 beaver dollars and 3 buffalo robes for that secret then he road over to wounded knee never to be seen again.

Moderator Emeritus

Having taught how to use Google to older adults(50+) I can honestly say that no matter how good the search engine some people just don't get it! Plus while I was teaching it reinforced what I knew, everyone learns differently, some via reading, others via hands on with help over their shoulder, others via pictures or videos, some via all of the above!

So when someone asks a question in the sticky I just answer them, sometimes wording things differently can make a light bulb come on and they get it. Some just want reassurance that they read it right. Others read it, may have looked at pictures and it still doesn't make sense and they need hand holding to figure it out. Patience is the key, there is no such thing as a stupid question! Especially when dealing with something that could explode your gun if done wrong.

Truth be told, the people who left probably still look in on the place. There is no place out there like castboolits (unless they started another one) and we need to keep it around. If the atmosphere changes, I don't see why they wouldn't come back; unless pride plays into it and I understand that. Let newbies post "What's the best load for my .45 colt," we can refer them to tried loads and the stickies.

We can offer an example of how to conduct one's self in somebody else's house ('cause most of us don't own the site). I think that is what many of the people upset with the path of the site are angry about (?). I think that there are many great things about this place, and if we shine it up a bit, some may return.
    Remember, they're bitten and VERY addicted to boolits

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AggieEE View Post
    Something we need to keep in mind is that when talking face to face we get a lot of information from tone of voice and facial expressons. Here on the forum we don't have that information so it is easy for a comment to be misunderstood. . Just my $.02
    When posters call you an A.H. in a post, there is no way to misinterpret that!

I've been called that, been accused of being a hoarder for trying to order three different kinds of powder in the same order, had it stated that I was trying to maliciously put someone out of business because I tried to warn others here of shady business practices, had it stated that I was being unreasonable when a business charged my card and then a week later emailed me that the product that they had sold me they subsequently sold to a walk in customer in their store (didn't get my money back for weeks after that)Oh, and in the same thread where I was a hoarder for trying to get the powder I needed, It was stated that if I had stocked up ahead of the crunch and was prepared I wouldn't have had a problem; so, at the same time I was being accused of being a hoarder I was foolish for not having been a hoarder; and, this all in one thread.

Don't need the drama; so I simply don't post unless it is to encourage someone who is going thru a difficult life situation: hopefully that will not bring out the flamers, although I'm not completely convinced of that.

Don't stop by often anymore; got more important things to do than watch childish, disrespectful internet Rambos go at it with each other.
    Last edited by Olevern; 05-22-2014 at 07:40 AM.
    "The trick is to stop thinking of it as 'your' money" (Tax Auditor)

Life is not waiting for the storm to subside, life is about learning to dance in the rain.

Boolit Master
    I am an addicted too.

I don't let peoples petty squables affect me, I don't let myself loose my temper. Th

Quote Originally Posted by .45Cole View Post
    Truth be told, the people who left probably still look in on the place. There is no place out there like castboolits (unless they started another one) and we need to keep it around. If the atmosphere changes, I don't see why they wouldn't come back; unless pride plays into it and I understand that. Let newbies post "What's the best load for my .45 colt," we can refer them to tried loads and the stickies.

We can offer an example of how to conduct one's self in somebody else's house ('cause most of us don't own the site). I think that is what many of the people upset with the path of the site are angry about (?). I think that there are many great things about this place, and if we shine it up a bit, some may return.
    Remember, they're bitten and VERY addicted to boolits