Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
Load DataLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lyman 310 / Trueline Jr Die Questions

Boolit Mold

Lyman 310 / Trueline Jr Die Questions

I am new to these tools, having inherited a number of the dies, press and handles. They are fascinating, to say the least.
    I have a couple of questions and probably more that I don't even know about yet.

From my Lyman handbooks, it looks as though there are two sizes of decapping chambers, large and small. I think that I have the large ones, since they are about 3 inches long . What are the dimensions of the two sizes?

Next, do the expander plugs size to the dimensions stamped on the plug which appear to be standard bullet sizes for the caliber? If so, it looks as though the mouth of the case would have to be crimped to get any neck tension on the bullet. Is this right or can you get any neck tension without crimping?

Next, there appears to be one size of decapping rod and different sizes of decapping pins. Is this right and if so what are the sizes of decapping pins?

Thanks for your replies and patience as I gain knowledge about these fascinating tools. I only neck size my reloads and I like the idea of using some of these old-timey tools with my old-timey cartridges.

Boolit Grand Master
    leeenfield,

I'll attempt to answer your questions as best I can (answers in green.)

Quote Originally Posted by leeenfield View Post
    I am new to these tools, having inherited a number of the dies, press and handles. They are fascinating, to say the least.
    I have a couple of questions and probably more that I don't even know about yet.

From my Lyman handbooks, it looks as though there are two sizes of decapping chambers, large and small. I think that I have the large ones, since they are about 3 inches long . What are the dimensions of the two sizes?
    I don't have the dimensions, but the use of these can be pretty casual... if the case will go into the die far enough, then it should be OK to use it... just make sure the decapping pin extends far enough below the die to completely push out the primer.

Next, do the expander plugs size to the dimensions stamped on the plug which appear to be standard bullet sizes for the caliber? If so, it looks as though the mouth of the case would have to be crimped to get any neck tension on the bullet. Is this right or can you get any neck tension without crimping?
    The plug should open the inside of the case neck to about .001" less than the bullet diameter then put a slight "bell" on the case mouth to allow the bullet (especially cast bullet) to start. The seating die (labeled "DA") is supposed to seat the bullet to the proper depth and remove this bell. Depending on the specific caliber, it may also provide a bit of a roll crimp to assist in holding the bullet.

Next, there appears to be one size of decapping rod and different sizes of decapping pins. Is this right and if so what are the sizes of decapping pins?
    I don't know of but one size of decapping pins, but there are a couple of different diameters of decapping stems. It seems that they may be for "over 30 cal" and under.

Thanks for your replies and patience as I gain knowledge about these fascinating tools. I only neck size my reloads and I like the idea of using some of these old-timey tools with my old-timey cartridges.
    The issue is further complicated by slight differences between 310 Tool dies and TruLine Jr dies. The sizing dies in particular are different, with pistol dies performing both decapping and full length resizing. The separate "muzzle resizer" of the 310 pistol dies performs the same function as the neck sizer of both 310 and TL Jr die sets. Use the archives of this forum and you will find a wealth of additional information about the "little dies" from Lyman and Ideal.

Regards,
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master

Is this your introduction to reloading? If so, realize you are 70 or so years out of date! Yes, they work, but the TruLine is a very light press not designed to full length size rifle shells. They made pound dies for this, steel dies that you used in a vice or an arbor press to press a lubed case in to resize it. The 310 dies only neck size. They work great for straight shells, only size the neck of the bottle necked cases.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Is this your introduction to reloading? If so, realize you are 70 or so years out of date! Yes, they work, but the TruLine is a very light press not designed to full length size rifle shells. They made pound dies for this, steel dies that you used in a vice or an arbor press to press a lubed case in to resize it. The 310 dies only neck size. They work great for straight shells, only size the neck of the bottle necked cases.
    Wayne, Will the press stated for for 45-70, 45 Colt and 44-40?

Boolit Grand Master
    Duke,

I'm not Wayne, but I can tell you for a fact that one can load 45-70 on the Tru-Line Jr (with neck sizing only.) My kid brother even used it successfully with the shell holder adaptor that takes up a little of the space between SH and turret. I have had to carefully manipulate the case and bullet on top of it (just a little) with long cases and long bullets. As for 45 Colt and 44-40, they load pretty much perfectly. I prefer to either FL size off the press or just neck size since there are no Carbide dies available in the smaller die size and I hate fooling with all that case lube to FL size longer cases. Wayne has been doing a bunch with these presses/tools/dies lately, so he may have more to add.

Froggie

Thanks for your Reply. Frog. Being I have several 45-70's I would have to full length size. So I guess that press would not work then for any of the calibers I stated.

Boolit Grand Master

Duke, I am setting up to load my 45 S&W with it. That is the Scofield cartridge. As far as having the strength to do it, not a problem. Full length sizing for multiple guns? I think not.
    Wayne the Shrink

Duke, I am setting up to load my 45 S&W with it. That is the Scofield cartridge. As far as having the strength to do it, not a problem. Full length sizing for multiple guns? I think not.

Thanks for the heads up Wayne.

Boolit Grand Master

As I think about what I wrote I have to say that I started loading with a Lee kit for the 30-30 and that die neck sized. I was 16, knew nothing about what 'can and can't' be done, and loaded for both my Dad's and my brother's Marlin 30-30's. The cartridges worked in both guns. I guess it depends on your guns.
    Wayne the Shrink

Boolit Grand Master
    Duke, if you really want to go old school and are using each caliber in a single gun, there is no reason you can't use the 310/TL Jr system and just neck size. If you really find it necessary to FL size and wish to stick with this system, you can resort (as I have) to the hammer in sizing dies that Lyman used to make. I have them for my 32-40 and 45-70, but seldom have to use them. If you are just going to use the 310 tool, you will want a large and a small for the rifle and handgun loads respectively, but if you want to use the TruLine Jr press, you just need the proper shell holders and dies. Of course I've never been satisfied to do things by halves, so I have collected all of them.

Froggie

Tools that load ammo that satisfies the need of the reloader will never be out of date. Good ammo is good ammo no matter which tools are used.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Man
    There is one difference between die sets designed for the Tru-Line and the 310 tool, and that is the TL sizer die also has an expander ball above the decapping pin - it sizes the neck on the upstroke, and expands the neck on the downstroke, just like RCBS or other "standard" dies.

If one wanted to use that die in a 310 tool handle, just unscrew the decapping pin retainer and remove the expander ball, but if you are not aware of that difference, it could be a bit of a problem getting the die over the expander ball after the fact.

Just for what it's worth.

Boolit Bub
    Hello. I enjoy reading all this information so much, that I realized I never made a post and 310 thread seems like a good place to start. Had a 310 years ago, so I do know what they look like. Don't want to sound like I trying to hijack this thread because I do have a question. Ran across a set of 310 .32 S&W long dies with the tool. I have a Ruger .32 H&R SS. Can I use these dies to reload .32 H&R mag. rounds?

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixiejack View Post
    Hello. I enjoy reading all this information so much, that I realized I never made a post and 310 thread seems like a good place to start. Had a 310 years ago, so I do know what they look like. Don't want to sound like I trying to hijack this thread because I do have a question. Ran across a set of 310 .32 S&W long dies with the tool. I have a Ruger .32 H&R SS. Can I use these dies to reload .32 H&R mag. rounds?
    Abso-tively and posi-lutely! I've done so, and even done a few 327 Fed Mags on my TL Jr with the old 32 S&W die set just to prove to myself that I could. In fact, Lyman now sells a single die set to load everything from 32 S&W L to 327 Fed Mag. I don't know whether the bore of the FL sizer die is long enough, but if you were to neck size only...

Froggie

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    Tools that load ammo that satisfies the need of the reloader will never be out of date. Good ammo is good ammo no matter which tools are used.
    True that. I just wanted to say that there are easier ways to introduce one to reloading.
    Wayne the Shrink

Boolit Grand Master
    True that. I just wanted to say that there are easier ways to introduce one to reloading.
    On the other hand, Wayne, if a new reloader goes through the time and effort to load with a tong tool or some other very basic piece of equipment, he is guaranteed to fully understand the process and be able to trouble shoot the operation of the more complex stuff. He will also appreciate good features when he sees them. I still think the little TL Jr was (and is) a great way to load ammo within its size limitations. Simple is good!

Regards,
    Froggie

Boolit Grand Master

I agree, Froggie. My fastest press is a Bair Brown Bear three station press. My original press is an RCBS Jr3. Before that it was a Lee loader in 30-30 and one in 16ga.

I always start folks off on a single station.
    Wayne the Shrink

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    So true and well said I'm stuck in the late 40's to early 50's myself I really like the little Trueline Jr
    myself but I'm going to have one of my toolheads drilled out and tapped for a standard die
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Grand Master
    I have several TruLine Jr presses including one of the early ones without compound linkage. I have considered drilling one hole in the head of one press to accept a 7/8 x 14 die to take TC sizing dies for pistols. However I have hesitated for fear it would tempt me to use the little TL Jr for heavier loads than it was designed to take. I've got an old RCBS Jr set up on one end of the bench for those occasions in which I need to FL size or do other things that require more brute strength, and besides that, I'm basically lazy, so the hole never gets drilled! Like SSGOldfart, I'm sort of in that '50s mode in this respect, and like to "go old school" occasionally when I reload. This is just my own idiosyncrasy, so don't worry about it being contagious!

Froggie

Boolit Master

Yep I have both ask was a extra turret that I haven't had, drilled and tapped yet for the fear I might break it I just picked up another as a backup
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here