RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
RepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: mini 14 accuracy issues:

mini 14 accuracy issues:

Mini 14, weaver scope, 55 gr fmj (.223 cal), powders available: H4895, IMR4831.

I need to spend more time carefully sighhting it in granted, but after sighting it in and hitting dead center, a 2"x2" target, I figured id easily be able to broadside a ground hog. No dice. Options?

The Ruger Mini 14 was not known as a tack driver but it is plenty accurate.
    Once you are sure the scope is keeping zero I would experiment with a few powders (I really like IMR 4895 for .223 myself) and be sure you are steady when sighting it in.
    My firearms review site. http://rangehot.com/

In Remembrance

How far off was the `chuck you took a poke at? I use Accurate 2230 powder a LOT in my mini-14 .223.Robert

Boolit Bub
    The one i had would hold a pretty tight group for a 183 series however the hotter that barrel got the more it opened up. I sold it at a gun show two weeks after Sandy Hook after someone offered me twice what I paid for it. I had heard the newer ones were more accurate so eventually I'll get one.

Approximately the same distance as I was sighting it... and in one case it was on top of the bullet stop! Hence my aggravation.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    When they test Mini 14s at the factory they only require a 2-inch group at 50 yards. So if your varmint is more than 100 yards away ir smaller thana coyote, you can forget it.

Boolit Master
    Options- Go find you a Black gun or a bolt unless you like punishing yourself over and over and over. This platform being the grandson of the Garand one would think, not the case. I spent WAY too much time with a couple and tossed the towel. Crowns, lapping, bedding, ammo, on and on and IMHO it is a great suburban cover fire piece. How many SKS sniper rifles have you seen? Right tool for the right job, plus it is a great excuse to go pick up another bang stick.

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master

The Mini-14 is the victim of its own reputation.

The CURRENT-production Mini is a very different critter from the early ones.

NVCurmudgeon and I have both bought recent Minis, taper-barrel models of 2010 vintage.

BOTH rifles will group their favorite loads right around the one-inch figure from 100 yards for five rounds. I have done rather good work with mine on ground squirrels to beyond 100 yards (while waiting for the "real rifles" to cool.... I suspect the dead squirrels didn't notice much difference).

The FMJ bullets are notorious for poor accuracy! Give the rifle a chance with decent bullets and see what happens. NVC and I both shoot the Hornady 55 V-Max, and the rifles love 'em.

No, the Mini isn't a "match rifle"....whatever that is. However, it IS a very dependable and quick-firing service rifle with ample accuracy in recent versions for most normal .223 uses. Mine will RELIABLY hit an IPSC silhouette at 400 yards..... reliably!

Then, there are those ground squirrels....
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

I appreciate all the inputs so far, and have known of the inadequacies of the mini14 for some time. I am growing on the idea to remove the scope and go to irons if I can find one floating around - if thats all rhe more accurate itll get. I can tell that the bbl diameter is a true weakness and I question the intent of such a meager thickness with such a round. I am hoping to find that 'pet load' to make it work and will continue to play with it til either it gets close or I say ive had enough.

I despise black rifle - moreso the culture that surrounds them. But I do respect them for the role they fill in varmint fetching at moderate ranges.

More inputs accepted! Im open to suggestions

Boolit Buddy
    My 2 cents from the other mini-14 accuracy thread we had a couple months back.

Quote Originally Posted by Deep Six View Post
    I bought a 581 series as my first centerfire rifle. As such, I was committed to it (nowadays I probably would have passed it on down the line). Anyways, in factory form it wouldn't hold more than a 6" group at 50 yards, with a scope. Handloading cut the group sizes down to about 8 MOA. Into AK territory, but I wanted more. I then sent if off to www.greatwestgunsmithing.com for his accuracy package. He did one heck of a trigger (about 1.5 lb with no creep), glass bedded the action, shortened the barrel to 17.5" and threaded for an AR muzzle break (I went with the Smith Vortex brake), installed a buffer on the op-rod, and sent several different sizes of orifices for the gas port. When it got back I milled out the forearm for a sling swivel stud to attach a bipod. After some more load development, I have a Mini-14 that holds 1 MOA for as long as you care to shoot it, flings the brass about 7 feet all in one spot, and is so loud that it still rings a little with double hearing protection. It is still very sensitive to load - some shoot 8 MOA while the good ones shoot 1 MOA.

My choice load is the Hornady 60 gr SP over a near max charge of Varget. The XM855 military load is good for about 1.5 MOA. It is worth noting that I haven't got it to shoot anything less than 55 gr or greater than 63 gr very well at all. Flat base typically shoot better than boat tail. It also likes the powder charge on the high side. You pretty much have to get to 223 max charge before it starts shooting well. 556 level loads typically shoot better.

Now that I realize how easy it is to build an accurate AR-15, I probably wouldn't mess with the Mini. That being said, the Mini does have a very addictive feel and sound of that heavy steel gas action clanging around in the solid walnut stock every time you pull the trigger. I think it's more fun to shoot than an aluminum and plastic AR.

Vendor Sponsor

The current Mini 14's IE 580, 581 and now the 582 series guns are excellent guns for certain things. They are not tack drivers. My 580 series gun (2005 mfg.) is a 2" gun with Wolf Steel cased ammo, and for what I use the gun for IE: 3 gun shoots and classes it is plenty accurate. 2"at 100 yards is 6" at 300 yards and that is more than usable since the .223 cartridge is a 300 yard cartridge for most purposes. Plus the gun was designed as an assault weapon, so the accuracy is adequate for shooting people, or targets that look like people. I have absolutely no problem hitting an 8x10" steel target at 200 yards every single time in my 3 gun shoots with a simple Bushnell TRS25 red dot sight.

If you want a really accurate tack driver Mini 14 then Accuracy Systems in Colorado can fix you up. It does cost money to make a $600 gun into a match rifle but for an additional $1200 you can have a 1/2" Mini 14.

Here's a pic of said gun. I may actually do this to mine some day.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 05-13-2014 at 05:43 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com