Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load DataWidenersRepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .223 dies?

Boolit Buddy

.223 dies?

New to reloading .223 (been handgun only for many years, rifle calibers prior), always favored RCBS dies, but seeing funky reviews (Midway) on the RCBS .223 dies, i.e. seater die is ****, don't size military brass, etc.

That said, what dies do you guys favor for .223 (this is for a bolt action, not an AR platform).

Follow-up question, what do you favor these days for lubing cases, again, been handgun only for years with carbide dies, so last messed with case lube some 30 years ago...anything new, recommended other than the sticky lube on a pad method?

Thx in advance!

Boolit Buddy

RCBS dies are top quality, never had a problem with any of mine.

As for case lube, now you can buy aerosol cans of case lube from different manufactures, or buy anhydrous lanolin and isopropyl alcohol and make your own... Spray a box full of cases, rattle them around a bit and go...
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy".
    Ben Franklin

Been using RCBS dies for .223 for over 20 years - never a problem. If you don't trust them, look at Lyman. Unlike some of the posters here. I happen to like Lee dies - good price and I've never had problems. For lube, I'm still using the RCBS lube I bought years back. Lota loaders like the spry, but I've yet to try it
    All government without the consent of the governed is the very definition of slavery - Jonathan Swift
    You have enemies? Good, it means you've done something with your life - Winston Churchill

CH 223 3 die set (resize, seater, crimp) & Forster Bench Rest for bolt gun. Forster has the least runout.
    "Never argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

I like the Lee rifle dies and the Dillon rapid trim just fine for 223/556, but I'm not a bench rest guru or long range expert. I load on progressive for an AR (so I crimp) and 99.5% of my shooting is less than 100 yards. That's probably not all that helpful if you are using a single stage, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

As far as lube, the Dillon spray is awesome, an improvement from the old lube pad. I use Hornady One Shot on my bullets (jacketed), mostly because I have some left over. I find it helps seat the bullets easier and more consistently. I hope that's helpful.
    Last edited by 357shooter; 05-07-2014 at 08:19 PM.
    Rossi M92 Lever Action
    Taurus 669
    Kel-Tec P-3AT
    http://357shooter.blogspot.com/

Boolit Grand Master

I use a Redding FL sizer and a Redding competition seater in my 223. There is really no wrong choice. The other RCBS, Lyman, C-H, ect that I have all work fine. I do think that the straight line seaters are worth the cost, which ever brand that you choose.

I have been using the spray Dillon lube and like it. You have to shake it real good, and let it dry for a minute or two before sizing. I also found that I get fewer lube dents if I wipe the neck/shoulder area off with a rag. Lightman

Boolit Master

I have made sure to use RCBS small base dies with 223 and 308. Semi autos(and more so autos) are a bit brutal on brass as in many instances the brass case begins to be extracted before full chamber pressure has gone to zero. Not a problem with bolts, single shots, pumps, etc.

When doing military brass for the first time (deprimed, primer pocket swaged) I size them twice. Easy to do. Push the lubed brass into the die, retract. Wait a couple of seconds for spring effect, do it again. I have never had a problem with RCBS small base dies with that routine. With standard base dies, well, hell, that's why I went to small base dies

I use Lee dies... no problems. Anhydrous lanolin and HEET for case lube.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Lee 223 dies with NO problems! Also 30 cal. Good prices, excellent performance.

I shoot only bolt actions.

I use Unique case lube with great success. A little goes a loooooooooong ways!

banger

Boolit Buddy
    I like the old RCBS dies better back in the 60s and 70s but the newer ones are good. Had good luck with Lyman too. Imperial sizing wax works best for me.

Boolit Grand Master

Most of my dies are Lee. W/ the exception of ones they don't make, like small base and M dies. They work just fine and don't break the bank. I use Mink Oil for sizing. It's cheap, lasts a looooooong time and can be bought everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by rpludwig View Post
    New to reloading .223 (been handgun only for many years, rifle calibers prior), always favored RCBS dies, but seeing funky reviews (Midway) on the RCBS .223 dies, i.e. seater die is ****, don't size military brass, etc.

That said, what dies do you guys favor for .223 (this is for a bolt action, not an AR platform).

Follow-up question, what do you favor these days for lubing cases, again, been handgun only for years with carbide dies, so last messed with case lube some 30 years ago...anything new, recommended other than the sticky lube on a pad method?

Thx in advance!
    I go out of my way to purchase RCBS products due to their stellar customer service. If you're having any issues with their products, csll them and they will make it right.

I have both RCBS regular and small base dies in 223. No issues whatsoever.

For lube, I use Imperial Sizing Wax and Hornady Unique sizing wax. Both are top of the mark.
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member
    "Keep Calm and Reload"

My .223 dies happen to be Redding, but I would not hesitate to buy RCBS dies if they were a better deal. I own RCBS dies in other calibers and they are very high quality. I would not be too concerned by comments by some tacticool doofuses (doofi?) saying they 'won't resize military brass'. Brass doesn't magically get springier based on what brand of dies you own.

EDIT: case lube.. I like the Dillon squirt stuff, which, as far as I can tell, is lanolin and isopropyl.

Boolit Buddy

great advice guys...for the most part, my stuff is green, and all dies on hand are RCBS (other than some old Herters dies), so I'll likely stick with RCBS based on past experience and their customer service.

further....what's the point with regular and small base .223 dies? I assume, military brass needs small base dies? If so will small base dies work with commercial .223 brass?

and...as I recall, back when I loaded .243 for a model 70, I could get by with neck sizing only (or partial resizing) to extend brass life. I assume the same still holds true for .223, since I'm only reloading for one particular weapon/chamber?

Thx again!

Boolit Master
    Yes, you can neck size. It will produce more accurate ammo that way. I have 1 rifle that I shoot paper patched in, that I don't resize brass at all. After firing, the new pp'd boolit will fit snuggly right back into the neck. I only have to pop out the old primer and install a new one, fill with powder and insert the new projectile. I may eventually have to resize, but after 3-5 firings, no brass yet needs it.

As you are reading, any of the modern dies are great dies. The pocket book and personal preference plays a part in decision. Because of my very limited budget when I first started reloading metallic, I started out buying Lee dies and haven't stopped since. They have performed well for me. Being a little "old fashioned" and based on my personal experience, I lube all of my casings with either RCBS case lube or STP on a pad. Knock on wood, I have never had a stuck casing using this method. Sprays are probably OK, but I know what works for me and I never change just for the sake of convenience or easiness.

I would FL resize at least once any new brass or brass fired in a different rifle.

Boolit Master
    My .223 dies are Lee. I bought the Lee RGB's and paid something like $18 for the set. Works great! But I only use mine for bunnies, coyotes and such with subsonic loads. Ammo with the Lee dies and my Savage Axis is good for minute of bunny out to 100 yards or so.

Boolit Master

I like the Hornady seating die and the Lee FCD for crimping. A mix of Redding & RCBS for the other steps on 2 different LnL AP's.
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Quote Originally Posted by rpludwig View Post
    great advice guys...for the most part, my stuff is green, and all dies on hand are RCBS (other than some old Herters dies), so I'll likely stick with RCBS based on past experience and their customer service.

further....what's the point with regular and small base .223 dies? I assume, military brass needs small base dies? If so will small base dies work with commercial .223 brass?

and...as I recall, back when I loaded .243 for a model 70, I could get by with neck sizing only (or partial resizing) to extend brass life. I assume the same still holds true for .223, since I'm only reloading for one particular weapon/chamber?

Thx again!
    The small base dies are closer to the minimum specs, so semi-autos will cycle OK. Since you have a bolt gun they really don't come into play for you.
    Rossi M92 Lever Action
    Taurus 669
    Kel-Tec P-3AT
    http://357shooter.blogspot.com/