Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackboxInline Fabrication
WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lets talk Stainless media

Love Life
    Hmmmmm.

Ah F' it. It's really not bad anyway, just not...you know...perfection.
    Last edited by Love Life; 05-03-2013 at 08:38 PM.

Boolit Mold

I am new to ss media (just finished cleaning my first batch.) what do y'all use to separate media from brass. I'm using the .042 X .255 pins on 40 cal brass.
    No matter how bad the situation seems... No matter how dark the future seems... There is always someone to turn to... JESUS!

Boolit Bub
    I use a RCBS media separator I got from Midway less then $40 works like a charm http://www.midwayusa.com/product/176...ProductFinding

I saw this is an old thread from last year and wondered what the big deal was with peening the case mouths I have a new FA RT and have had no problem with peened case mouths after cleaning 2000 or so pieces of brass I guess this is more of an issue with big tumblers

Boolit Master

I use a Midway brass separator AND several magnets from old computer hard drives.

I too have done thousands and never had a problem with peening.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

I've been SS wet tumbling for quite some time. I've heard folks mention this "peening" of the case mouth issue. In my experience, this is a complete non-issue. In fact, I never even noticed it on my brasses until it was brought to my attention, and then, I basically had to use a magnifying glass to see the tiny impressions.

In any event, the "peens" are removed with trimming, chamfering and deburring.

I believe if you have any factory fresh brass that has never been reloaded, you will see the same tiny impressions on the case mouths. I believe it is caused simply by the tumbling process itself.
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member
    "Keep Calm and Reload"

Boolit Buddy
    So what rpm is suggested ? I'm in the process of building a wet tumbler myself

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    There was a very long thread about this subject on Shiloh.com a while back. These BPCR guys have been using Thumblers Tumblers for years with ceramic media. And many have been using STM for a while. I believe many of them are converting their tumblers with slower rpm motors and the peening problem disappeared.
    Last edited by ffries61; 05-07-2014 at 01:06 PM. Reason: spellun

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ffries61 View Post
    So what rpm is suggested ? I'm in the process of building a wet tumbler myself

Fred
    My Thumler Model B High Speed barrel turns at 43 RPM. It's interior is hex shaped and 6.6 inches across the flats. In two years of use, I have seen no peening of any kind using the SS pin media, just sparkling clean brass.

Quote Originally Posted by Nueces View Post
    My Thumler Model B High Speed barrel turns at 43 RPM. It's interior is hex shaped and 6.6 inches across the flats. In two years of use, I have seen no peening of any kind using the SS pin media, just sparkling clean brass.
    And the Thumler's Model B hi-speed 1/30 HP motor turns at 3000 RPM as per the description on the SST website for this machine.
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member
    "Keep Calm and Reload"

Boolit Buddy
    I have a 30 rpm gearmotor I'm thinking about using to drive it, would 30 be enough, or would it(the brass) just sit on the bottom ? I don't plan on any paddles or agitators.

Fred
    Last edited by ffries61; 05-07-2014 at 07:13 PM.