MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: problem drip drip drip

Boolit Master

weight it down

Here's my solution to the occasional drip I get with 2 Lee 4-20 pots.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2013.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	103819

Name:	IMG_2014.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	103821

That's a 1-¼ hardwood dowel, with a 7/8 hole drilled nearly through to form about 1½ deep cavity filled with boolit alloy. Then a pilot hole drilled to thread onto the screw that the original handle goes on. This adds just enough weight to the valve rod to prevent almost all the drips

I don't know what it weighs, way more than my digital scale can weigh,(750 grains). But it works, is solid state,(nothing to fall off, get hot).
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

“At the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat”--Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by cr2 View Post
    My Lee drip-o-matic makes a lead tower under the spout every few minutes. I agree it's easy enough to just plop it back into the pot. What bothers me is the splatter from each drip. After a casting session my workbench is covered with small pieces of lead foil from every splatter. I just picked up a 7x10 cake pan for $1 at the thrift store, and the whole pot sits right down into it. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm thinking this will contain all the spatter in the pan. Should keep my work space a lot neater.
    Funny you should mention that about the pan. Yesterday I was shopping with the wife at a local Walmart and found a 9X13 cookie sheet for $.92 cents to set my Lee pot into. It is about 1/2 inch deep. I figure that 9X12X.5 comes up to 54 cubic inches. 54 X .409 pounds per cubic inches comes up to a capacity of 22lbs of lead. A little less for the volume the legs of the stand take up. I was not worried so much about the dripping but about a failure of the valve in a worse case scenario. I also figure that my pot is seldom full all the way.

I purchased a different stand and cover for my pot that has an adjustable table and mold guide. Drips land on the table and are a bit of a pain even though they don't stick, but I worry more about 15 or so pounds of hot lead running all over.

Ken

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by snuffy View Post
    Here's my solution to the occasional drip I get with 2 Lee 4-20 pots.

Name:	IMG_2013.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	103819

Name:	IMG_2014.JPG 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	103821

That's a 1-¼ hardwood dowel, with a 7/8 hole drilled nearly through to form about 1½ deep cavity filled with boolit alloy. Then a pilot hole drilled to thread onto the screw that the original handle goes on. This adds just enough weight to the valve rod to prevent almost all the drips

I don't know what it weighs, way more than my digital scale can weigh,(750 grains). But it works, is solid state,(nothing to fall off, get hot).
    Snuffy,

I like those photos of yours. I somehow misplaced the wood handle on my pot and was intending on cobbling together another handle anyway. I think I'm going to try the same thing you did. As far as the weight goes, I'm guessing that handle of yours weighs between 6, and 7 ounces.

Ken
    ====

Boolit Bub

Thanks fellows for all the suggestions I will work on replacing the spout and rod. bought this pot at a garage sale $25 with a broken control. I wired it direct and built a PID for it. When I get it working I will post Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SD530447.jpg 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	103880