Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: lyman 412263 mold problems

lyman 412263 mold problems

I recently purchased a lyman mold 412263 single cavity put on lee handles.
    Noticed I had to squeeze pretty good to get them to close totally.

When I finally got to cast with it ,using a lee 20 lb bottom pour pot.I ran the mix between 750 and 800 degrees no PID.
    I was getting some very good lookin bullets (still a newbee).
    Sharpe edges, first few were a little wavey but cleared up quickly.
    I had a few that came out finned when I did not get the mold closed completely.

After I finished ,cleaned up and let bullets cool measured a couple non finned bullets.I had put finned back in pot.
    The clean bullets measured .410 x .4145 the larger measurement along the mold joint line.I will need them at .4145 for my 405 win 1895.
    The lead I used was a little softer than I wanted grabbed the wrong
    ingots.I can make a cut in them with my thumb nail (no tester yet).

What suggestions do ya'll have.
    I am going to move to my WW and add some tin to see if that changes the way they fill out and see if measurement changes.
    Darrell

Last edited by Wickyd; 05-01-2014 at 07:42 PM.

Le Loup Solitaire
    Check the settings of your mold alignment pins that may be sticking out a little too far and interfering with the closing of the blocks. They might have to be driven in a tad to let the blocks close better. My 412263 casts at 412-413 with straight WW metal + 1%tin. Its a single cavity that tends to overheat if I cast too fast. Its a big bullet in a relatively small set of blocks. Adding some tin to wheelweight metal that has antimony in it will increase the bullet diameter a bit. Do a search for "terracorp formula" (used by Saeco a few years ago which discusses how much tin and antimony will effect bullet diameters. Nothing should have to be squeezed, forced or struggled with...should work easily. .413-.414 ought to be readily obtainable on all sides of the bullets. LLS