Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2WidenersLoad DataRepackbox
Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tin & Pewter experts - need info

Boolit Grand Master

Around here they only want gold in trade for it. Lots cheaper to just buy at roto metals.

Boolit Grand Master

-sigh- It's just like lead. How much you find is directly proportional to how hard you look. And while smoking deals are few and far between, most people are going to be able to beat the snot out of online virgin tin prices with very little effort.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    -sigh- It's just like lead. How much you find is directly proportional to how hard you look. And while smoking deals are few and far between, most people are going to be able to beat the snot out of online virgin tin prices with very little effort.
    I admit I havn't looked hard. That's why only the 3 pieces. There aren't that many places close by to find it but when we are at junk stores, antique etc. I look & except for the 1 bowl that cost $1 & says pewter I have found none. The 2 pieces that "look" like pewter I got at the flea market for .50 so no loss.

Boolit Grand Master

I understand that not everyone is going to find pewter in the wild. A guy living on a ranch in Montana with the "big city" a town of 1,000 fifty miles away doesn't have the opportunities I do in here the Philly suburbs. But that guy isn't most people.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

RWP hallmark and a lot of other similar ARMETALE items from Pennsylvania are aluminum alloys made to look like pewter. They are much harder than pewter and you can't bend them.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by WRideout View Post
    I recently bought a commemorative plate with a picture of Vienna Austria on it. It cut easily with tin snips, and melted quickly at low temperature. I didn't think it had any collector value.

Wayne
    Doesn't now anyways
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Grand Master
    Just make sure you don't melt down an antique piece of pewter worth $$$!!!

I picked up 1 pound of pewter in ingots (97% tin/3% antimony) on fleabay for less than $9 shipped. Ingots looked nice and weighed on my scale as 18 ounces. That brings me to a little over 11 pounds, with most coming from second hand shops. I live in a small town of 20,000 so I hit the resale stores every couple months to see what new things may have come in.

Unfortunately, I had to pay a bit more for 12 pounds of Linotype in the raw -- but it is fun reading the type on some of the edges.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShinyPartsUp View Post
    I picked up 1 pound of pewter in ingots (97% tin/3% antimony) on fleabay for less than $9 shipped. Ingots looked nice and weighed on my scale as 18 ounces. That brings me to a little over 11 pounds, with most coming from second hand shops. I live in a small town of 20,000 so I hit the resale stores every couple months to see what new things may have come in.

Unfortunately, I had to pay a bit more for 12 pounds of Linotype in the raw -- but it is fun reading the type on some of the edges.
    At 1-2% Sn required for good fill, I hope you have a bunch of pure to dope with that 11#!!!!!!!

banger

Boolit Master
    A $1 or $3 pewter item from the thrift store can be enough tin for 3 pots of lead,
    I go there anyway with donations, or to buy t-shirts, etc.
    Ebay is easier, but you have to trust the seller to know what he's selling.