MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxLoad Data
WidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Pigon at 3900 FPS

Quote Originally Posted by 338RemUltraMag View Post
    It only took the title to make me grin...
    +1!!

Boolit Master
    I bought some sabots with the idea of 22 cast in a 308. Haven't gotten a 'round tuit' yet but I'd like to run a dead soft 55g cast boolit about 1800-1900 fps if I can find accuracy. Would be a serious small game getter from my main rifle.

Is there a thread here with the topic being the .30 cal. sabots? Alot of mystery surrounds these. I've done searches before and came up with not much good or bad. Seems like most folks haven't had much luck with them. I have a bag of 1000 sitting on the bench and a box of .223/55gr spritzers. Could be potent medicine fer yotes. The loading data supplied with is pretty vague and my first run was dismal. Huge group including a couple key-holes. Any experience to share would be greatly appreciated.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
    Is there a thread here with the topic being the .30 cal. sabots? Alot of mystery surrounds these. I've done searches before and came up with not much good or bad. Seems like most folks haven't had much luck with them. I have a bag of 1000 sitting on the bench and a box of .223/55gr spritzers. Could be potent medicine fer yotes. The loading data supplied with is pretty vague and my first run was dismal. Huge group including a couple key-holes. Any experience to share would be greatly appreciated.
    I got the best groups when I tryed J bullets at or close to start loads
    Max loads shot poor groups to say it nicely

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

I love it!!!
    I once shot a(starling) that landed by my backstop as I was sighting in a .357 maximum shooting 180 group xtps @ 2200 fps. All I found was tail feathers! I the went hunting with it and shot a groundhog at 20 yards. No more head.
    Life member NRA since 1976

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
    I talk about my load in this thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...st-bullet-load

Tim

Boolit Master

my email is crowshooter223 at hotmail.... I guess you know how I roll.
    I'll be a nice to you as you'll let me be, or as mean as you make me be.

Polite society started dying the day it was no longer necessary for rude men to physically defend themselves from the consquences of their actions or words.

Boolit Buddy
    Haven't used any cast boolits in it yet but my .22 CHeetah vs a crow at 60 yards was impressive. Two wings twirling down from the fence post and lots of crow dust everywhere. That one foot still grasping the post was a bit spooky though.

In Remembrance

When I was doing basic at Ft. Polk circa 1967 a bird landed on the firing range at about 80 yards just before the commence firing order. I think all ten guys on the line fired at it when the RO said fire. Poof! M 14 fmj.

Boolit Buddy
    I picked up a .204 Ruger to make little critters pop when shot. 34gr HP and a case of varget does the job very well. Got a ground hog with that load once. The popping noise of the critter was louder than the gun going off. Made a heck of a mess in the back yard. Never done that kind of damage with my cast, yet.

I keep telling SWMBO that I need a 10/22 and a Can to deal with our Flying Rat problem. To bad they are City Flying Rats, as Pigeon wrapped in Bacon, stuffed with ham and provolone and baked in the oven is Damn Tasty. I won't eat Urban critters due to their fondness for Trashcans. I have seen some of the **** my neighbors put in their trash...I have often wondered why they don't own HAZMAT suits...
    GRANDPARENTS AGAINST RETINOBLASTOMA, BECAUSE NO CHILD SHOULD HAVE CANCER

Slide a deprimed 12ga hull over the end of the barrel, and use electrical tape to hold it on. Shoot subsonic rounds and it is pretty quite. If you wanna make it even quiter make baffles out of pieces of 16ga shells and washers.

Boolit Master
    I've been working with a 300 RUM and j words lately ......... maybe I ought to give those sabots a try?

.......... 5,000 fps???

Best regards

Three 44s

This thread reminds me of a story my Grandad told me years ago (~ 30+ years). Seems he was deer hunting with his father-in-law and the FIL saw a crow sitting on a fence post some distance off so he shot it... with his Winchester 1886 in 45-90. He hit it and you can guess the rest.

Boolit Master
    I have shot sparrows with a 22-06 and you see the head go up, but there was usually something left. I shot sparrows with a 25-20 with a fairly flat nosed cast bullet and nothing came down. Bullet was about an 87 grain and it wasn't moving much more than 1600, if that fast. I had that happen numerous times. All I could think of was the bullet carried the bird away with it. I shot sparrows with a cast 45 bullet, flat nosed 265 grain and they just fell out of the tree. Never could understand why they would disappear with a 25-20 and not with a swift or 22-06. There was feathers so I know I didn't miss before somebody suggests that.

Boolit Bub
    3900 fps O.O thats a hot 22 lol. I think everyone from 12 years old to 85 has tried a bit of "overkill" at some point or another. Just remember, when the alien giants come I feel confident I will be among the first to get a Volkswagen at 3900fps. To many toads and black birds have fallen prey to my first 30/30. :/

I used to rev my sabots to about 4300 if I remember correctly. That was in a Ruger canoe paddle 77. It shot pretty decent too.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnch View Post
    Saturday I did some casting using range lead
    Mainly for the 40 S&W
    But I had some lead left over and the RCBS 22 cal mold was setting on the bench
    So I made 150 or so of them

Yesterday I looked over the 22 cal bullets and wondered why I had cast them
    As I was now out of that batch of range lead and had no clue exactly what the alloy was

So I had the idea to try them in 30 cal sabots in the 308
    Un sized , no gas check or lube

Just a bullet in a sabot
    With some 4198 to move it along
    The data I have says it should be about 3900 FPS ( I never checked )

I loaded 20 and headed out back to the bullet trap

I had to move the POI a ways to center the group on the paper
    Well 5 shots at 50 yds was about 3 1/2"-4" group

Not the greatest group .....but I can say the BOOM of the muzzel blast was impressive

Well this afternoon one dumb pigon landed under the bird feeder out back
    I figured why not , there was a large maple tree as a backstop

I put in plugs and good ear muffs
    Took carefull aim through the scope and pulled the trigger
    I have not figured how fast that bullet was going at 35 yds
    But I must have centered the pigon
    As feathers came down all over the place and I couldn't find a dencent sized piece of it to feed the cats

Oh well
    I have a few more rounds left
    I will have to look for a ground hog to try the load out on next

John
    Hey John, those pigeons used to be good to eat up in Savanna, Illinois. Now you just shoot them and throw them away?

I remember an article Ross Seyfred ( spelling) did in G&A or some magazine years ago. 6mm H&H, pigion at 60 or seventy yards. Poof! I think he called It "pigeon dust".
    NRA Instructor
    Basic Pistol
    Personal Protection Inside the Home
    Personal Protection Outside the Home
    Chief RSO
    Metallic Reloading

Boolit Master

I remember as a kid loading my 03 Springfield with Speer 30 cal half jacketed pills. Shot at a field mouse at about 3 ft. End result, closed my eyes and put about a 4" hole right next to the mouse. Tim