WidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Load DataRepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 5.56 vs 7.62

oops for got one
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Love Life
    All of those puny ballistic coefficients...

If just for target fun then a 6.5 or a 6mm would be legit. Actually a 5.56 and 7.62 would be legit as well. If this is your SHTF OMG gun then a 5.56 would be my 1st choice with 7.62 following. I would pick the 5.56 1st for me, but that is just for me.

There is something comforting about the 7.62. I know when we would talk back with the M249 SAW in 5.56 things tended to stretch on longer than necessary. When the pig started talking in 7.62 things usually ended pretty quick.

Good stuff.

Lol, 7.62 is very comforting indeed. The first time I shot a deer with it and realized the heart was liquefied I knew I would always own one.

That table is neat but its not apple's to apple's. 130 grain from a 7.62 can go 3000fps vs. the 123@2600.
    If you think your a hammer everything looks like a nail.

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by freebullet View Post
    Lol, 7.62 is very comforting indeed.
    I was managing a trophy caribou camp in the Barrens of the Northwest Territories back in '91 and also '92.... we were on strike at the mine where I normally worked.

Barren-ground grizzlies were coming right into camp almost every night after the meat, and I had to try keeping them out.

I mounted a night watch each night, sitting on a Honda trike with its headlight trained in the direction of the meat shed bout fifty yards away. The light was "off" until a bear triggered the alarm we'd hooked-up on the shed.

The ground was soft sand, so the bears were noiseless..... I warned everyone in camp NOT to approach my position without making some "people noises"....at risk of drastic consequences.

My rifle was a TRW M-14, loaded with 180-grain Nosler Partitions, and equipped with a good flashlight which was "co-witnessed" with the point of impact at fifty yards.

Having twenty rounds of on-tap Nosler-loaded 7.62, with bears in the immediate vicinity in the dark, was just as you said...... "comforting".
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Grand Master

There is no way I would want to attempt that w/ 5.56. Or for that matter any round below 7.62.

Love Life
    If given a choice for BruceB's duties then 7.62 would be the choice. However; if all I had was an AR 15 in 5.56 with 30 rd magazine, then I would still sleep soundly at night. It always makes me chuckle how the killing ability and power of the 5.56 almost gets relegated to the same class as a 32 short or 22 lr when in reality is a very good killer of many things.

If I was looking for a black gun for target/competition then I would buy a black bolt action rifle.

For those that are worried that 5.56 might not be enough, remember that is when one compares one to one of 7.62. Multiple hits with a 5.56 are a whole different situation. So for the so few times when you think you are under gunned fire enough rounds to defeat the target. Simple isn't it?

Boolit Master

Wherever they hire Philosophers & Misanthropes...
    Spray & Pray vs aimed hits? That's why there are ammo "shortages".

If all you ever have to.worry about is soft targets, then 5.56 is handy. But there is an awful lot of "cover" in this world that becomes simple concealment when you step up to a MBR...
    A Democrat that owns Guns is like a Vegan that owns Cats...
    C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
    Gott und Gewehr mit uns!...
    Death is only The End if you assume the Story is about You.
    1.618034 Fnord
    מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין - Daniel 5:25-28 - Got 7.62?

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    I have always been a 7.62 kind of guy. I own Garands,FALs,M14,ect. I have just lately built a nice AR-15 and now glad I did! It's a wonderful rifle and I even now have a DPMS 7.62 w/20" HB!

All this to say I keep a 30 rd mag in my 5.56 for things that go bump in the night as it is probably one of the best urban combat weapons in the world today. Build your own rifle,it is not hard and will educate you on the working of your rifle!
    Last edited by seagiant; 04-17-2014 at 08:04 PM.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Coyote/groundhog rifle. Not much use for hunting larger game.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a8d79f1c.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	104.2 KB 
ID:	102858
    "Never argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." Mark Twain