RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionWidenersInline Fabrication
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low on powder

Low on powder

Going to load some .40 S&W 180 Grain Round Nose Flat Point Bevel Base Hensley & Gibbs 659BB Design
    Sized to .401.

I find my powder situation dwindling to the point I am concerned. I am going to use some leftover powders now to stretch things til I can get my powder supply back up.

Of the powders I list... has anyone any loading experience with any of these for this type cast bullet. BHN around 16. I normally would use Power Pistol...but getting low as I stated.

HP-38
    Bullseye
    Winchester 231
    Winchester WSF
    BlueDot

Thanks for any input...

Boolit Master

I dont have a book right here, but check Hodgens reloading data on there website the will have some information for you for the winchester powder.

From the Reloader's reference,
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	40sw.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	21.7 KB 
ID:	102458
    Obviously, it is not exactly the slug you are working with, so proceed at your own peril.

HP38 and W231 are the same powder, so data for one will interchange with the other. I have used both, as well as Red Dot, with that combination with good results.

Good luck finding powder, and buy a bunch when you do.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

I've used WSF some, works well.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	40SW WSF.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	102477

Per Winchester #14 Load Manual

180 Hornady XTP Winchester W-231 5.0 gr. max 947fps

180 Jacketed Hollow Point Winchester WSF 5.0 to 6.2 gr. max 1,040 fps

Should work with cast with no problems. I'd reduce and work up.

Be careful with Blue Dot. I recommend published data.

Boolit Master

6.5gr Blue Dot and the 180gr Lee TC bullet is my go to load for shooting Action Pistol.....dale

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    IMHO, the biggest concern on the .40 S&W loads are how deep you seat the bullet, taking up interior space and greatly increasing pressure by doing so.
    Shoot'em If You Got'em...

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by scattershot View Post
    HP38 and W231 are the same powder, so data for one will interchange with the other.
    He said it was leftover powder so they could very well be two different powders. They weren't always made by the same company. So some precaution should be used in this instance.

Boolit Master

Posts like this make me glad I had 8 pound jugs of Clays and Universal Clays from my shotgunning days. I may not be getting the powder I want but I have something to use.

I've shot a lot of WSF 5.3 gr.
    "Some times it's just better to smile an walk away."

"Think ya used enough dynamite there, Butch?"
    -Butch Cassidy & the Sun-dance Kid

These three powders HP38 Winchester 231 and WFS are unopened. They were purchased about 8 years ago in Yuma, AZ. I do believe that the 231 and the HP38 are indeed the same in this case. I have never used any 231 or WSF so far, but with the powder situation I will utilize them. I do for the record use a chronograph and start low and work up, so I feel pretty safe here. I have loaded lots of the Hornady 180 XTP hollow point rounds with no problems. Just with the cast RNFL rounds I want to be safe and still work up a pretty good round. These are not so much for punching paper so I will work them up to a moderate load.

I have also ordered the 4th Edition of Lymans Cast Bullet Handbook. I understand it's pretty good.

These replies help and I appreciate everyone's input. Keep em coming.

As to the powder situation... where in the heck is all the powder going? I never see any in stock anymore. I snagged some a few months back from Powder Valley but they have dried up. Still enough for a few thousand rounds of pistol but it definitely is getting me worried. I normally use Power Pistol for 9 and 40.. but... about 3.5 lbs of that left now. I have lead, primers, brass....molds.... but we all need powder to work the deal. I wish Powder Valley would allow us to sign up on a waiting list and just take our turns as they come. But they don't do that any longer. Oh well.

I ordered 2 lbs of Tin and 15 lbs of Antimony/Lead alloy (30% Antimony) today. Should help with all of the plumbers lead I have. Got to figure out how to get that Antimony in tiny ingots for handling ease. I hate to have to buy a band saw. Anyone out there been there and have some nifty solutions?

Boolit Mold
    ww231 and HP 38 sre the same. 5.0 gr. wiht a 180 @1.125" coal, I have shot thousands of cast 180's with this recipe.

Boolit Master
    I have loaded quite a few pounds of Bullseye with a 175 gr TC bullet. I use 4.2 gr. It is a light 40 load but quite accurate. Since I shoot production I only need minor power loads.

Boolit Master
    At a gun show today in Lunenberg, Ma. one seller had lots of powder, Hogden and VitaVourhri (sp) at $40.00 per container, we all know that few powders come in 1 lb containers anymore, He also had Winchester and Remington primers at $40.00 per 1000. I did not see anyone buy any.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrbjr View Post
    I ordered 2 lbs of Tin and 15 lbs of Antimony/Lead alloy (30% Antimony) today. Should help with all of the plumbers lead I have. Got to figure out how to get that Antimony in tiny ingots for handling ease. I hate to have to buy a band saw. Anyone out there been there and have some nifty solutions?
    You should be able to break that high antimony ingot into pieces with a hammer. That's what I do with type metal, and it's lower in antimony content.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Quote Originally Posted by garym1a2 View Post
    I have loaded quite a few pounds of Bullseye with a 175 gr TC bullet. I use 4.2 gr. It is a light 40 load but quite accurate. Since I shoot production I only need minor power loads.
    Good to know, as I have that mold and intend on using it heavily.

Quote Originally Posted by 454PB View Post
    You should be able to break that high antimony ingot into pieces with a hammer. That's what I do with type metal, and it's lower in antimony content.
    Ahhh... was worried it would not break... but then I was thinking of pure Antimony. Thanks...