RepackboxLoad DataWidenersRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Woods/Mountain Defense: Handgun Boolits Are No Rifle Boolits

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Shooter View Post
    Thinking in terms of woods/mountain defense:
    Since it seems obvious that a boolit fired from a handgun (no matter the caliber) will never match the shock and damage that can be caused by a boolit fired from a rifle...

In creating a load, what should be the goal of a handgun in self-defense against large aggressive animals?

--Penetration in hopes of striking something of importance in the oncoming animal and quickly shutting it down?
    --A hole large enough to allow massive bleeding?

--Both?

--What is realistic to achieve?
    It depends on the rifle and the handgun, what bullets are used and the intended purpose. Humans have been called "large aggressive animals".. if you mean griz, say so.. but I don't think you'll come across one down at the quickie mart in Ohio.
    No matter what is used, you still have to hit it right even if it's a bunny rabbit.
    Sent from my computer using my fingers.

In Remembrance
    I see in the news today that a lady was mauled in her driveway in a residential area in florida by a black bear. You just never know when or where you will need that bear defense gun.

Boolit Master
    We tell Yankees time and time again, "Don't feed the bears!"

Do they listen? No. Still gloating from Gettysburg has it's downside.
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Banned
    From what I've read about professional hunters and dangerous game, it seems that bullet placement and penetration are far more important than some magic bullet that may or may not work. Stopping the charge is different than killing the animal. Yes, the animal is going to die if it bleeds out BUT what good is that if it mauls you to death before it dies? I would think in that extreme circumstance it would be better to destroy the beast's ability to harm you as quickly as possible. I'm thinking a CNS hit by a projectile that will always have the mass and energy to penetrate far enough to always damage something vital. Something that is well protected by fur, hide, muscle and bone. A handgun in that situation is a last ditch effort to save your life.
    In "African Rifles & Cartridges" by John Taylor, he writes about The Revolver or Pistol as Auxiliary in Chapter 11. Taylor addresses "metal-covered bullets" (I assume full metal jackets). This is coming from someone that has been there, done that and lived to tell about it. It appears, at least to me, that he believed bullet penetration was far more important than bullet expansion.
    I have no personal knowledge of this issue but it makes sense to bet your life on something that can always reach deep enough to damage something vital.

Boolit Master
    What John Taylor had in mind is different than what most of us want. He carried the pistol as a last resort for if a cat (lion or leopard) had him down and was ready to or already had started chewing on him. He hunted with a long gun and the pistol was a backup.
    Rule 303

Banned
    Woods/Mountain Defense: Handgun Boolits Are No Rifle Boolits

/\I thought that was what we were talking about
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 04-17-2014 at 08:08 AM.

Perma-Banned

nope, no difference in what we want or need today in a self defense pistol against large aggressive beasties.
    penetration and mass in a packin and shootin friendly package.
    accuracy is great for sniping at undisturbed critters, when events start unfolding in your direction begin to find your personal space becoming said critters space it dont need to be so accurate as familiar, reliable, accessible, controllable , and able to drive solid heavy chunks of metal through bone.
    lots of bone.
    meat and/or vitals are meaningless and are simply what you have to get through to reach bone.

Boolit Buddy
    300savage...yes...I like that description.

Boolit Master
    Me too!

Boolit Buddy
    Fun thread.

Last fall while deer hunting at a relatives, there were reports of several black bear from neighbors.

Sure glad for the 44 with 305 grain cast over a healthy dose of h-110 those days.

They may not be too big, but I sure wouldn't wanna tangle with one unarmed.

Plus the reports of giant chickens, whew, those things are vicious.

Dan

Boolit Master

Here's a good video clip to give you an idea of how fast Yogi can move when he really means it....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuYs...ature=youtu.be
    I'll be a nice to you as you'll let me be, or as mean as you make me be.

Polite society started dying the day it was no longer necessary for rude men to physically defend themselves from the consquences of their actions or words.

"We tell Yankees time and time again, "Don't feed the bears!"

Do they listen? No. Still gloating from Gettysburg has it's downside."

I keep telling easterners don't pet the BUFFALO!!!!!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by DanWalker View Post
    Here's a good video clip to give you an idea of how fast Yogi can move when he really means it....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuYs...ature=youtu.be
    And that is why when I bow hunt I carry the one on the right, left is a 280 Remington.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140322_125442_zpsp4mrouf1.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	103492

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    The grizzly number for Montana is as far off as their wolf numbers. They only research in a few areas, and extrapolate numbers from that point. They have never done research on griz from my place to the Cabinet Mountain Wilderness. I can guarantee them, there are plenty griz in the area that have never seen a pointy headed college type researcher.
    Man ain't that the truth! If you head straight south from Thompson lakes I live in the mountains between there and Hwy 200. I get nuisance bears, grizzly and blackies in my yard. Usually it is in fall and the woods is dry and they want a drink from my creek and a wallow in the cold mud of the seeps down there. So we have them in close proximity to us 2 to 3 times a year for sure. Probably more that we don't know about and they just run off before we are aware of them, especially when hunting. Here are my rambling thoughts on bears and our defense against them.

I carry a double action 454 when I hunt if I am not hunting with the 45-70. I practice shooting weekly(ok I'll be honest I pretty much shoot daily, it's rare if I go a day without shooting) with the 454. I tell the wife it is so I am in practice in case I get attacked by a bear. Really (and she knows it), it is because I just love to shoot and reload and shoot some more.

Most people get a babysitter and go on date to the movies and dinner. The wife and I drop the kids off with the sitter and go home and have a range day where we don't have to have one of us watch the kids while the other one is outside shooting. It's our version of together time....don't judge

Anyway I served in enough combat in the Marines to know I can hit what I aim at under any amount of stress so I am not super worried about myself. I do worry about the kids though, both when we are hunting, fishing, berry picking etc. and when at home so I do carry and if it isn't on me, it is in easy reach. My kids like to play outside and I'm not going to keep them inside because there is a one in a million chance a bear might do more than run away when it sees us.

The beagle has more bark than brains so we get plenty of warning when a bear is around and both the wife and I have a loaded gun nearby when we are inside and the kids are outside (it is a 45-70 guide gun...pre-remlin). We don't live like we live in a combat zone but the gun is loaded and ready should either of us need to grab it and when I am outside I carry my 454 anyway so I can "test" new loads. About the only time I don't carry is when I am cutting wood with a chainsaw on the property. Maybe I should?

Is it enough? I hope so but I don't know that it is ever "enough" where your kids are concerned. We do the best we can and I am reasonably certain that any of our 454s and or the 45-70 is "enough". I am also hoping that we all go through our entire lives without ever having to find out. So far the bears have always run when they see us out and about. I hope it is always this way, but should it not be I feel we are as prepared as we can be without living a life of paranoia.
    Neither a borrower nor a lender be;
    For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
    And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
    This above all: to thine ownself be true

Boolit Buddy
    To quote Bill Jordan in "No Second Place Winner", "Learn to take your time, Fast"

Boolit Master

Cornbread,

Sounds to me like you've mostly got it covered.

Although I don't understand why you're not armed when chainsawing? Seems like as good a time as any to me. And it's not like you're going to get any warning of trouble with your hearing. Just a thought.

Welcome to the forum.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Quote Originally Posted by Catshooter View Post
    Cornbread,

Sounds to me like you've mostly got it covered.

Although I don't understand why you're not armed when chainsawing? Seems like as good a time as any to me. And it's not like you're going to get any warning of trouble with your hearing. Just a thought.

Welcome to the forum.

Cat
    It's mostly because the kevlar chaps I wear when I cut trees are rather bulky and if I add a gun to it I have to cinch my belt really tight or my trousers start to fall off my butt I don't like cinching my belt that tight and I can't work with it in a chest holster but you are right I should probably just suck it up and wear my belt tighter so I can keep it on me always.

Thanks for the welcome. I'm liking it here a lot. Lot of knowledge about boolit casting and reloading in this place.
    Neither a borrower nor a lender be;
    For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
    And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
    This above all: to thine ownself be true

In Remembrance
    Anybody chainsawing is armed, think about it. lol
    That said, I have gotten to the point that suspenders work for me.

Moderator Emeritus

I have heard of loggers in the south that have deer come in to eat fresh leaves from the fallen trees. We get no deer or elk wanting to eat pine needles in MT.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    They don't eat the needles but they do come in and eat the moss that grows in the tree. I have had them do this in early spring when their starving due to the still deep snow.