RepackboxWidenersTitan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone attempted to explore modify AR10 in 25-06?

Has anyone attempted to explore modify AR10 in 25-06?

I know the AR10 is short action but how many pandoras boxes will we open trying to explore a 25-06 long action mod for a AR10? Am a nubie to AR10 and do not own one yet so maybe its very stupid question. Just own several M4's in 5.56 & 6.8spcII.

If that will not work what are some low buck but quality options? In bolt and semi-auto?

In semi auto:
    One comes to mind Remington 740, 742. But have issues with soft rails, corrosion in the box, and are heavy.
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    You have answered your own question; the AR-10 is built for cartridges of the .308 length, not .30-06 length. If you want a military rifle in .25-06, the only semi-autos I think might be suitable would be the M1 Garand or the Italian BM-59. The later versions of the Remington should be able to be rebarreled too.

OTOH if you want a .25 caliber AR-10, you could rebarrel one in .25 Souper, a .25 caliber on the .308 case.

Easiest, cheapest and best way to get an accurate .25-06 in bolt form is the Savage 110.

Robert

I only saw a 308 in BM-59 on gb. Msg'd the other seller with no caliber info on the only other one listed.
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    It would be pretty straightforward to get a 7mm-08 or a 243 AR10 if that would scratch the itch.

Just had die set and about 200 bullets wanted to use for varmits way out or deer.
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I have seen AR Uppers in AR-15's chambered in 25 WSSM. The 25 WSSM will do anything the 25-06 will do, and it will do it on a cheaper AR-15 platform. Downside is capacity is low as the 25 WSSM is a single stack due to the fat cartridge design.

Banned

I have a 25 WSSM on an AR 15 platform, it's not cheap.
    Dies are pricey, you'll need special magazines, brass is hard to find and it's more along the lines of 257 roberts performance.

I have a 25-223, ie a 223 necked up to 25 cal on an AR15 platform, only thing it costs is a barrel and some dies. cheap quality option. Standard AR 15 mags work fine. I would personally recommend this since you already have an AR15. I love mine!

As for AR10 platform going to 25 caliber.

It won't be cheap, the barrel is going to be fairly expensive for an AR 10 as it will be a real custom job. You'll need to find someone who makes the barrels for the Armalite platform unless you have a DPMS.
    you'll need dies for 308 necked down to 25 cal, IE the 25 souper

Quote Originally Posted by Phineas Bluster View Post
    AMT7.

You may want to check out this link: Noreen BN36.

My local dealer has one in stock, but I haven't looked it over. It really isn't a rifle that appeals to me.

PB
    $1500-3500 ouch!
    Using Tapatalk

Okay my best cost options to rebarrel semi autos, then bolt guns in both 30-06 & 25-06 are as follows so far below.
    Cost & qualty generally as listed on gb from low to high as I understand it:

Semi auto:
    Remington 740, 742, 7400, 750, 74
    Know the rails on these first 2 Rem models are soft & prone to corrosion in box.
    Winchester XSR
    Browning BAR
    Italian BM-56? Cant find one in other than 308 except high end shop Noreen.
    M1 Garand

Musing option which is very cheap of M4 .223 rebarrel up to .25. But there goes a lot of range? Just costs a die set and barrel and some of my brass to neck up to. Can this chamber handle pushing jacketed boolits in this cal to near 3k fps? Anyone have load data with pressures?

Bolt:
    Savage 110, Axis (these can be had for $259 in 25-06 what is wrong with them??) SP, 111 Trophy Hunter XP.
    Tikka T3
    Browning A Bolt II
    Ruger Hawkeye M77
    Howa 1500
    Remington 700
    Last edited by AMT7; 04-16-2014 at 06:41 PM.
    Using Tapatalk

Vendor Sponsor
    Can this chamber handle pushing jacketed boolits in this cal to near 4k fps? Anyone have load data with pressures?

The brass won't handle those kind of pressures! Even a 25-06 with the lightest of 25 cal bullets would be hard pressed to reach that kind of velocity. Being a bit unrealistic aren't we? Trying to make any firearm acheive results that it was not designed for is a recipe for disaster.

Ok found load data on ar15.com but its 74 pages worth starting from 2007 and oops on the typo meant 3k. Seems as though 2700 fps is being done since then.
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ammohead View Post
    Can this chamber handle pushing jacketed boolits in this cal to near 4k fps? Anyone have load data with pressures?

The brass won't handle those kind of pressures! Even a 25-06 with the lightest of 25 cal bullets would be hard pressed to reach that kind of velocity. Being a bit unrealistic aren't we? Trying to make any firearm acheive results that it was not designed for is a recipe for disaster.
    Sorry, I use word chamber loosely as both brass and chamber, but mean chambering engineering as a whole brass and all. Understand your frustration with the typo on fps.
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by AMT7 View Post
    $1500-3500 ouch!
    Actually, $2000 isn't that bad. Look at what the AR-10 platforms are retailing for, maybe $1500? Of course you have to ask, is 30-06 performance worth $500 more than 308 performance? Not to me.

It is when you still have 4 young adukts still at home.
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

The AR-10 platform wont be capable of 25-06 lenght and functioning. Remingtons semi auto could be converted ( may even be available in 25-06) from 30 - 06 but would require barrel and gunsmith s work. M1 Garand theoretically could be converted Custom barrel needed with timed splines and threads. Special sized gas port possibly. And then the issues of port pressure with smaller bore and slower powders. Browning BAR semi auto rifle I believe is available in 25-06 ready to go mount scope and zero it. I have an AR-10 with upper for 243 win and an upper for 22-250. Both are set up for long vld bullets.
    The 25-06 is a great round worked with one for awhile in a rem 700 adl. Very accurate with moderate recoil. The 257 roberts uses the same bullet at slightly lower velocity, think better barrel life.

Boolit Master

If I wanted a long-range AR and wanted more than the 6.5G will offer, I'd get a .260 Remington AR-10.

Of course, there's always this:

http://nemoarms.com/portfolio/omen-m...00-win-mag-ar/

Personally, the 6.8 has done everything I want an eastern deer rifle to do.

Boolit Master

Of course the 250 Savage would fit on an AR-10 platform. Taken to the Ackley chamber, it would match 257 Roberts velocities. If you are just dead set on a quarter bore, the old Savage may be the ticket.

AMT7,
    The closest rifle I can think of was a customized 1941 Johnson in 270 Winchester. I believe it was reworked by Johnson company after the war. It was $750 back in the late 1980s or early 1990s. I wish now, that I'd bought it.
    I'm sorry that's not much help,
    Uber7mm

Bambi: The great American hunting story as told through the eyes of the antagonist.

Boolit Master
    I think the BAR may be your cheapest entry into the semiauto 25-06, just because it's factory produced.

Blasted hellish frozen northern wastelands, AKA Minnesota
    Semi auto is going to be tough in a long action cartridge-

How about a long range bolt gun... I know someone who is thinking about selling a .25-06 in an Accuracy International stock, several AI mags and AI bipod included. Not a walking around gun, but groundhogs will fear you out to the horizon.

Last edited by Bert2368; 04-16-2014 at 10:15 PM.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."