Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading

Thread: Adding a Belt Mountain #5 to an OMSBH

Adding a Belt Mountain #5 to an OMSBH

First thing is to make sure it will fit the cylinder and the revolver. Each separate from the other before trying them together. Sometimes tolerances stack and they will fit each individual, but not together. Being slightly oversize, as it is, can be a problem but at least you can always turn it down to the factory size and use it if you have to. Also, make sure the basepin latch fully seats as the notch in the Belt Mountain pin is not as wide as a factory unit.

Here it is after checking the cylinder then the frame

And checking that the latch is fully seated.

Then insert the cylinder and cycle the action to check for misalignment between the barrel and cylinder now that you are using a larger diameter pin that has ever so minutely "lifted" the cylinder. Mine checked out perfect weather cocking slow or fast. And it definitely tightened up the "feel" of the revolver.

The next thing is to mark the location of the locking pin, through the hole in the basepin

Then start it with a center drill, and follow up with the proper size bit. Remember the depth stop! zgrin

Then shorten the stub on the pin till it fully tightens without bottoming out in the hole you drilled. This way you have a locking pin that doesn't impart flex on the base pin the way that the standard locking pin does.

From the original photos I took, you can see how long the stub on the screw actually is.

In fact it works exactly the same as the base pin retention system on the newer BFR revolvers.

Then to remove the cylinder, you simply unscrew the base pin lock screw about 3 full rounds and pull the pin forward.

Sic Semper Tyrranis

Boolit Master

Was your stock base pin coming loose?

No, I simply like the looks of the Belt Mountain pin and have added one to most of my Ruger SA shooters.
    Sic Semper Tyrranis

Boolit Master

Just curious. I agree that they look wonderful. I've read that the oversized pin can cause alignment issues.....have you found this to be the case with any of your rugers?

Not yet, but I have only installed around 7 of them. I have checked each one with a pin gauge and actually found that on one of them, it helped. If I ever have one that causes problems with alignment, I will simply turn it down a fraction to make it mirror the factory pin diameter.
    Sic Semper Tyrranis

I really like the vivid Plum color that your OM's frame has turned to.