RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWideners
Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Load Data

Thread: A GOOD WWII pilot's tail.. or a tale of a tail..

Vendor Sponsor

A GOOD WWII pilot's tail.. or a tale of a tail..

I worked with an older gent once in electronics repair shop named Charles "Chuck" Judd, who wanted SO badly to be a fighter pilot when the war broke out. He made flight school, and his assignment during the war was in the Pacific, ferrying aircraft to forward bases. He flew the Dauntless dive bomber and other aircraft from bases in the Hawaiian islands to the Philippines, then he would go back and get another.

On one particular trip he was ferrying a Dauntless dive bomber from Honolulu to Manila. The aircraft could make the flight if they took out all the ammo and used the weight savings for extra fuel which they did. On this trip, somewhere over the Pacific, a Japanese twin engine Betty spotted the lone dive bomber and gave chase.

Chuck knew with the amount of fuel he had on board that he couldn't outrun the Betty, but he could out maneuver it easily enough. After a few failed attempts to get away, he was determined to come out ahead one way or another and he got behind and above the Betty, put his plane into a dive and flew through the tail of the Betty, chopping off a massive chunk of the airplane, and sending the crippled Betty into the drink with it's crew.

He made it to Manila none the worse for wear, and upon landing they could not believe what he had done to survive the harrowing flight, and even more could not believe the Dauntless made it the rest of the way! It had sheet metal all in the engine cowling, had holes all in the wings, chunks taken out of the propeller blades, but it was a tale with a happy ending and Chuck went back to Hawaii and ferried more aircraft before the end of the war came.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    that's quite a story!

Honolulu to Manila? Not non-stop, obviously.
    Cognitive Dissident

Vendor Sponsor

Heh no.. Not non stop..
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Galena Guru

the Germans towards the end , when they knew it was over , many times dove into bomber formations taking out vertical stabilizers , sometimes the entire tail section
    Schamankungulo

Matt. 5:14-16

GMCS USN ret.

The same maneuver was a standard Russian tactic if out of ammo. (read it somewhere back in the mists of time)
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    I worked with an older gent once in electronics repair shop named Charles "Chuck" Judd, who wanted SO badly to be a fighter pilot when the war broke out. He made flight school, and his assignment during the war was in the Pacific, ferrying aircraft to forward bases. He flew the Dauntless dive bomber and other aircraft from bases in the Hawaiian islands to the Philippines, then he would go back and get another.

On one particular trip he was ferrying a Dauntless dive bomber from Honolulu to Manila. The aircraft could make the flight if they took out all the ammo and used the weight savings for extra fuel which they did. On this trip, somewhere over the Pacific, a Japanese twin engine Betty spotted the lone dive bomber and gave chase.

Chuck knew with the amount of fuel he had on board that he couldn't outrun the Betty, but he could out maneuver it easily enough. After a few failed attempts to get away, he was determined to come out ahead one way or another and he got behind and above the Betty, put his plane into a dive and flew through the tail of the Betty, chopping off a massive chunk of the airplane, and sending the crippled Betty into the drink with it's crew.

He made it to Manila none the worse for wear, and upon landing they could not believe what he had done to survive the harrowing flight, and even more could not believe the Dauntless made it the rest of the way! It had sheet metal all in the engine cowling, had holes all in the wings, chunks taken out of the propeller blades, but it was a tale with a happy ending and Chuck went back to Hawaii and ferried more aircraft before the end of the war came.

Thank you for that. It brought back memories of my father in law that flew the China Burma Hump in WWII. I used to enjoy his stories when he was alive and miss him.

Banned

The Dauntless had a reputation for being tough and having an ability to absorb punishment, dive bombers kind of had to be.

The kind of guts our airmen had during WWII doesn't exist anymore at least not on a collective basis like that.

I watched an episode of Dog Fights once that interviewed pilot who actually took on three Zeroes alone in a dauntless. He knew he could dive and turn faster than they could because the airplane was so tough, and knew he had to keep them head on, if he let them get behind him, they'd kill him, so he used that tactic and kept charging into them. This is long, but here's the episode on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjqj1e8t1BE
    Last edited by richhodg66; 04-06-2014 at 07:32 AM.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    The Dauntless had a reputation for being tough and having an ability to absorb punishment, dive bombers kind of had to be.

The kind of guts our airmen had during WWII doesn't exist anymore at least not on a collective basis like that.

I watched an episode of Dog Fights once that interviewed pilot who actually took on three Zeroes alone in a dauntless. He knew he could dive and turn faster than they could because the airplane was so tough, and knew he had to keep them head on, if he let them get behind him, they'd kill him, so he used that tactic and kept charging into them. This is long, but here's the episode on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjqj1e8t1BE
    I remember reading about that incident, they made him a fighter pilot after that.

in Remebrance
    6bg6ba, FWIW my dad also flew the Hump. He was one of those who had a few funny stories, but never talked much about what actually went on. My visit to the D-Day Museum in New Orleans taught me a lot about why our dads didn't talk much about the war, they just came home and tried to get on with life. GW
    "If you can walk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    Or walk with Kings, nor lose the common touch,
    Yours is the earth and everything that's in it,
    And, which is more, you'll be a man my son!" R. Kipling

"Brother to a Prince, and fellow to a pauper, if found worthy." Kipling

Galena Guru

Ma's brother was a medic on the beach D Day , he had some tales , what we hear these days is very sanitized compared to what they would tell , if they ever spoke at all .. Dad never talked about it and his brother ( 101 Airborne ) worked with the French Underground ..
    Schamankungulo

Matt. 5:14-16

GMCS USN ret.

Boolit Master

The same maneuver was a standard Russian tactic if out of ammo. (read it somewhere back in the mists of time)
    We sent quite a few P40's to the Russians and I remember reading of one particular Russian pilot who chewed a couple tails off German aircraft with his prop when out of ammo.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Grand Master

Mostly sent B25s and P39s. The P-39 had very poor performance at high altitude due to the
    Allison having only a single speed, single-stage supercharger and no intercooler. But it did
    have a 37mm cannon firing thru the prop hub. Since the biggest problem for the Russians
    was tanks, the P-39 was welcomed and was very helpful at low altitude against ground
    targets, especially tanks.
    I saw a P-39 and B-25 at the Russian's Monino aviation museum (mostly outdoors) outside
    of Moscow.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

Thanks for that story. My stepfather's father was a pilot in WWII, he ferried planes from somewhere in the interior US to a base on the west coast.

No harrowing war stories to tell, but he sure got to test-drive some awesome planes.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fecmech View Post
    We sent quite a few P40's to the Russians and I remember reading of one particular Russian pilot who chewed a couple tails off German aircraft with his prop when out of ammo.
    That was actually Soviet doctrine with the old Polikarpov I-6 fighter! It had a wooden prop with steel leading edges, made for just that purpose.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.