WidenersTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackboxLoad Data
Lee Precision

Thread: 9mm Luger load with Unique and COW?

Boolit Bub

9mm Luger load with Unique and COW?

I have read that Cream of Wheat is used not only used as a filler but also acts as a gas-check, so to speak, and a lead remover.

Does anyone have a 9X19 load for COW over Unique using the Lyman 120 gr. cone/flat tipped bullet? ( don't have the mould number handy)

Do any of you always use COW in particular load?

Does COW remove the need for lubing say a 9mm lead bullet?
    I have read where some say they have shot un-lubed cast bullets with no leading issues. How about accuracy?

I would like to use it in auto loads if possible.
    Last edited by Laredo; 04-01-2014 at 03:02 PM.

I always lube my pistol boolits. I suspect that shooting with out a lube of some sort will end up leading the barrel, unless you are using coated boolits of some sort.
    I have never heard of anyone using filler in pistol loads. Not saying no one is doing it, just never heard of it. Lots in rifle loads but no pistol.
    Unique pretty well fills the case on a 9mm so there would be no need or room for a filler in any case.

Boolit Master
    tumble lube and go shooting , cream of wheat in that tiny case would be a chore , tumble lube dry the boolits on wax paper tumble the second time and dry then load , have fun

there is a really good sticky about loading 9mm in wheel guns , pistols and hand cannons read that then load up

Boolit Man
    Faster and easier. Harbor freight red powder coat. Shake and bake.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE View Post
    tumble lube and go shooting , cream of wheat in that tiny case would be a chore , tumble lube dry the boolits on wax paper tumble the second time and dry then load , have fun

there is a really good sticky about loading 9mm in wheel guns , pistols and hand cannons read that then load up
    Thanks for the replies guys.
    I've done the tumble lube thing but still ended up with some leading and accuracy was ho-hum from a rest. The LLA was cut down a good bit with mineral spirits so's i coulds gets da stuuf out da bottle. That could have been the problem.

I was hoping someone had some experience with a somewhat reduced load of Unique and COW.
    Say maybe 3.5 gr. or so plus the wheat.
    I've tried it in 45 ACP with 5.3 gr. of unik and leading was disappeared.
    So maybe?......
    I'm just leery with the itty-bitty cases and using it in a Tokarev.

Banned

The leading is there. But the COW is scrubbing it clean. Lube them and your accuracy will be greater. It is a waste of time to even consider doing this.

Boolit Master
    Don't know if the goal is removing, or preventing leading, or a reduced load, or both ?? You still need enough pressure to operate the slide. Last large run of 9mm for me was with bulk jacked 115 gr. ball and 6 gr. of Unique to duplicate nato +p loads in large frame 9mm guns. Works well @ 1250 fps from a BHP and Ruger P89. Stout load, yes. But unless you are looking for soft target loads, 5-6 gr. of Unique is cheap to load. Leading is another issue, thinking COW should be unnecessary unless your lead mix and lube needs work, I'd work on that and forget the COW. Just an opinion,
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Laredo View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys.
    I've done the tumble lube thing but still ended up with some leading and accuracy was ho-hum from a rest. The LLA was cut down a good bit with mineral spirits so's i coulds gets da stuuf out da bottle. That could have been the problem.

I was hoping someone had some experience with a somewhat reduced load of Unique and COW.
    Say maybe 3.5 gr. or so plus the wheat.
    I've tried it in 45 ACP with 5.3 gr. of unik and leading was disappeared.
    So maybe?......
    I'm just leery with the itty-bitty cases and using it in a Tokarev.
    Bullet hardness and size play a larger part that Cream of Wheat would

Boolit Grand Master

COW on top of Unique in a 9mm case? I think the OP is

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    you can reduce the charge just fine but if your getting leading your probably to small what size are you sizing them to if you stand the bottle of alox up in a can of water on the stove to warm it up it flows a lot better , about the time you have little bubbles forming your ready to shake and lube

my current load of 4.5 gr power pistol a Lee 120gr TC tumble lubed and left .358 and loaded in range pickup brass feeds and shoots fine in my 9's plenty to cycle the slide also

I just am not sure how you would measure such a small amount of cream of wheat in to the case and that it would do any good , I use grits or corn meal over black powder as a buffer but that is not to reduce or remove leading.

Banned

I'd definitely try a larger boolit first.
    both of my type 99's favor 358 diameter boolits by a huuuge margin.
    the HM-2 mold jt just finished was designed with this larger diameter in mind.

Moderator Emeritus

If you are shooting the 9mm Lee tc tumble lube boolit box it up and throw it far away. Get a mold with a standard lube groove, fill it with a good lube and cut your leading to minimal and your groups to good.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    mine is the standard lube groove but I tumble it with alox for cheap easy 9mm shooting I do the same thing with the standard lube groove 401-170tc

Boolit Master
    I just don't see enough room in a 9mm case for enough powder to operate the action and still have enough room for any amount of COW that could possibly do you any good ?? My loads of 6gr. of Unique under a 115 gr. left no room in the case at all to work with, almost a compression load.
    Chris

Le Loup Solitaire
    I have loaded 9mm for my Luger for many years using either Lyman 358242 or RCBS 115 truncated nose and both shoot well. My casts are from WW's and sized to .358. I have used a number of different powders including Red Dot which is faster than Unique, 700X and finally settled on 4.8 grains of 4756 as it produces lower pressure and fills most of the case. No leading! I have never used a filler. I have been careful to avoid any kind of hot-rod load following an incident where someone gave me some ammo made in Spain( that was made to run sub-machine guns for the Guarda Civile. Three rounds were enough to shear the rear toggle bolt and after expensive replacement I made sure to never push things again. The 4756 load off the bench will hold the 8 ring or better at 25 yds and that is good enough for me. Replacement of Luger parts is an expensive game so I would advise caution in working up loads with Red Dot, Bullseye or Unique, etc. I would keep the MV under 900fps (enough to cycle the action) and use a sufficient taper crimp on the finished round. LLS