MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyRepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Range and fun gun in 357 Mag

Boolit Grand Master

Range and fun gun in 357 Mag

My mother has my 586 at her house pulling duty as HD gun. I want to find another DA/SA in 357 with 4-6" barrel. It will be used as fun and range gun. Also I've been contemplating shooting more 38/357 due to cost and conservation of resources. I was thinking of Smith or Ruger. I've even contemplated a full size in the smith N frame line, especially a 27 or one of its permutations. This isn't anything like a gotta have it yesterday. Just want to look at my options and perhaps I'll come across the right one over the next year or so.

The S&W Model 27 is high on my list for next purchase for the same reasons. I'm already set up for reloading .38 Special/.357 Magnum for indoor target shooting at my pistol club.

I presently shoot a Model 25 in .45 Colt. I love the look, feel and heft of N frame revolvers. When my range buddies are shooting 9 mm or 45 ACP, the .45 Colt speaks with real authority but it is more costly to reload. I'm thinking my wife or grown daughters could handle mild .38 Special reloads with no problem. I can load these for about the same money as 22 rimfire (when I can find any).

Let us know when you get one and how you like it.

Banned

Gp 100

Quote Originally Posted by jmortimer View Post
    Gp 100
    What he said.....
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Master
    The short cylinder in the N-frame S&W's can be kinda irritating. It bugs me that a longer nose boolit will fit in my J-frames than my N's. It hasn't stopped me from buying them though.
    Last edited by dubber123; 03-30-2014 at 10:28 AM.

Boolit Master
    Ruger, whatever model you like best. I have a New Vaquero, a Security Six, a GP100, and am always looking for a Blackhawk... Guess you could say I'm a bit prejudiced.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmortimer View Post
    Gp 100
    Quote Originally Posted by waco View Post
    What he said.....
    What they said!
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Buddy
    I bought a GP100 2 years ago, still very happy with it.
    It likes my handloads.

Boolit Buddy
    you cant got wrong with a s&w 686 ,a gp100 ,or even a Blackhawk ,I own all 3 and think there great, my gp100 is a 327 though the others 357.

Boolit Master
    Hi...

I have a bunch of .357Mags that I shoot regularly, including a very accurate S&W 686 Silhouette model. It does get a little unwieldy at times with its 8-3/8" barrel, though. And I do seriously enjoy shooting my three dRuger BlackHawks in .357 also.

But...for just fun at the range I found a couple Colt Troopers in .357 a year or so apart several years ago. IIRC, I didn't pay more than $325-350 a piece for them used. I don't believe one of them had ever been fired before I bought it. Accurate and fun to shoot...my son and I put thousands of rounds of my generic LSWC load through them each summer.

A used quality DA revolver in .357Mag is a great value and can provide bucket loads of fun.

Boolit Grand Master
    Gp100
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Banned

^ you use an I-Pad too as I recall. I could not get it to capitalize the "p" in GP100 either. I guess you have to bury it in a sentence.

Boolit Master

Dan Wesson 15-2 pistol pack in 357 still shooting the first one in 82,no problem with it ever they just announced their new model: being released
    Last edited by SSGOldfart; 03-30-2014 at 08:32 PM. Reason: fat fingers
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

I wouldn't mind having a .357 again myself. Had a 4" Model 28 (retired Oregon State Patrol gun) that was good. Also had a 4&5/8" Blackhawk. Both were lots of fun and strong enough to handle any load I could make. However, if S&W were the brand I wanted, a 686 or 681 would be my choice. The GP100 is just as good IMO. Same with Colt's Trooper. Guess there's too many choices LOL! Why not a Python if you want to go all out? Guess I'm no help, sorry!
    Last edited by taco650; 03-31-2014 at 08:05 AM.

Might I suggest a Rossi 357 rifle in whatever version. They are my go to fun guns lately.

Boolit Grand Master

Gp100
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Airman Basic View Post
    Might I suggest a Rossi 357 rifle in whatever version. They are my go to fun guns lately.
    I've got a JM Marlin with Lyman peep on it. It needs a partner. Moms got my 586 and had to sell off my 686 and blackhawk.

Nuther +1 fer GP100 can't go wrong with that one.
    If you think your a hammer everything looks like a nail.

The good ole' 6 shot S&W 686 is hard to beat. It's a stainless 586.

I vote GP100 also. Put one of the Hi-vis sights and your grip of choice on it and then just try to wear it out!