Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Wideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackbox
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: Nostalgia over Rem 572

In Remembrance

Nostalgia over Rem 572

I get to reminiscing now and then and remember my Rem. Field Master in the all aluminum Buckskin model with the bronze andonizing and blond wood. The one I had was one of the most accurate rifles I ever had. I paid about $75 for it in 1963 and sold it six years later when I was in a bind for $25. I have regretted it ever since and tried to buy it back at $100 a few months later, but no sale. The guy passed and it went to his son who also wouldn't sell it. Every time I decide to find one I see them selling for $550- 600 now and it removes my nostalgia. Many of them had crooked barrels (possibly easily bent) and wouldn't shoot well. They were similar to the Nylon 66 and there was a steel barrel version with the aluminum receiver that was of course heavier. I need another 22 like a hole in the head, especially with ammo being like it is, but I still have that soft place for it and may someday find a cherry one that will make me do something foolish.

Boolit Master

They are super rifles. I got one for Christmas when I was 9. Now my grandson shoots it (probably better than I did). My mother cooked up plenty of rabbit nailed by that rifle with .22shorts.

Boolit Master

Summer of 1973 I was running around with a guy who had one while I had a rem 582.
    As high school students with jobs, we shot whenever we could get free, and afford some ammo.
    The guy with the 572 always seemed to out shoot me
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I think we all have that soft spot , I had one for my first rifle that I didn't have anymore . It took a while , but I realize the Kimber I got back in the eighties has taken it's place . The good part is I still have the Kimber .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Banned
    southern California and sometimes Honolulu, hawaii
    I had a standard rem 572 that I found leaning against a tree at a plinking spot in 1972. No one was around, just the rifle. Someone forgot it! We stayed around, expecting the owner to return. They never did and no one to leave it to, So I took home and enjoyed it for several years. It always worked perfectly. It was my first .22!

I ended up trading it away but aways missed it, So I bought a used 552 about 15 yrs ago to take its place. the 552 is the semi auto version but they look and feel the same. I love it. mine had the brass deflector missing, so it ejects empty shells 20 ft.. But no problem, I get a kick out of that to! Jay

My first rifle was a beat up rem 552. Very accurate. I recently restored it to near-new condition. Reblued the barrel, replaced all the missing bits and pieces, new wood. I couldn't redo the original black lacquer finish on the receiver, so it is now black enamel. Sounds like a lot of effort for what was originally an inexpensive rifle, but it still outshoots anything new in its class today. Besides... nostalgia.

Banned
    southern California and sometimes Honolulu, hawaii
    Yeah, I got mine for nostalgia to! But I really like it. A Former owner carved "sundowner 68" in the receiver of mine, then filled the carving with black paint. I don't know what sundowner 68 means, perhaps its to commemorate a long ago camping trip? Who knows? Just makes me like it more. I can't wait for the selves to get filled up with 22 ammo again. When that happens, I going to shoot thousands of more rounds thru it! Jay

Boolit Grand Master

Model 121 Story

Nice rifle the 572.

It replaced the Model 121, which replaced the Mod. 12
    WHen I moved to the midwest, I sold a Win Mod. 12 with a cylinder choke, and a Remington Model 121.
    Bought both at a hock shop at different times. Both were two the the nicest I've ever seen.

Both got sold when I needed m,oney for a move. This was in 1998. Sold both for $550. Last 121 I saw the guy wanted $850 for it, and it wasn't as nice as mine. I think about those two guns every gunshow I go to.

Live and learn. Firearms are something to be acquired.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Grand Master
    LGS has a really nice 572 for sale if anyones interested

Boolit Master

I picked up a very beat up 572 last year at a pawn shop. Took it to the range, found it wouldn't chamber Long Rifles. Shorts will just barely chamber. Barrel is marked LR, L, S. Thinking it was just hopelessly fouled from shooting Shorts, I tried everything I could think of to clean the chamber, with no luck. Anybody have any suggestions before I stick a LR reamer into it?

Boolit Bub

I got a 572 BDL Deluxe when I was a teenager. 30 years later it's still in my safe. I just wish I'd taken better care of it in those teenage years. It's got a few dings and dents in that beautiful stock and a few spots on the bluing. You just don't appreciate those things at 18 like you do when you're 48!!

Boolit Master

Can you post any pictures of the fired cases?

Quote Originally Posted by 376Steyr View Post
    I picked up a very beat up 572 last year at a pawn shop. Took it to the range, found it wouldn't chamber Long Rifles. Shorts will just barely chamber. Barrel is marked LR, L, S. Thinking it was just hopelessly fouled from shooting Shorts, I tried everything I could think of to clean the chamber, with no luck. Anybody have any suggestions before I stick a LR reamer into it?
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

In Remembrance

The reamer would remove fouling if it can't be removed any other way.